Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV/DECA Going National May 13th

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1989 replies to this topic

#1981 OFFLINE   tjbtexas

tjbtexas

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:59 PM

yes,
because all your DVRs will communicte through one router port.
Think of it as the DECA Cloud connecting to your router (not each DVR)

:)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1982 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:03 PM

One question that I have not seen answered is: If I went with SWM+DECA, would I be able to free up the three hardwired ports on my router now occupied by my three HR20'?

All of your HR2x receivers would be removed from the network switches if you go with DECA. They would all be on their own MRV optimized private network (a.k.a. the DECA cloud).

You would like attach one more DECA node that would connect to your router (or switch). This would provide Internet/Home Network connectivity for all of your receivers through this one junction.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#1983 OFFLINE   Leftcoastdave

Leftcoastdave

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:41 PM

Thanks guys. Now I am beginning to understand why many felt the $149 price was a bargain. The freed up router ports are another bonus of the professional installation.
Ut Prosim

#1984 OFFLINE   Blurayfan

Blurayfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,745 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:47 PM

Thanks guys. Now I am beginning to understand why many felt the $149 price was a bargain. The freed up router ports are another bonus of the professional installation.

In addition to that getting the low price upgrade to a SWiM system. Removing the need for two lines at each DVR, but still able to use both tuners.

Slimlin-5 with SWM16
HR44-700 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 3.0 TB
HR24-500 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 2.0 TB
HR21-700 with DECA adapter for network
Network: Netgear WNDR4500
Internet: Comcast 105/20

#1985 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,348 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:33 AM

You could do the same thing with a work station switch for $26, if all you care about is freeing up space on your router.

Rich

#1986 OFFLINE   kiddk1

kiddk1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:07 PM

You could do the same thing with a work station switch for $26, if all you care about is freeing up space on your router.

Rich

true I just added a switch now I have 4 empty ports

#1987 OFFLINE   texz71

texz71

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:19 PM

Can the DECA modules work with the SWimLine Dish setup...ie SL5-SWM LNB single line fed by a PI-21 Power Supply & SWS-8 8-Port splitter (AU9-5-SWM-B-PWS)? Is there any need for the Band Stop Filter with this configuration and HR23-700 receivers?
Setup:
- QTY 4 HR23-700's w/ SWM-8
- QTY 2 Linksys WRT-54GS w/ DD-WRT v24 pre-SP2.

#1988 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:45 PM

Can the DECA modules work with the SWimLine Dish setup...ie SL5-SWM LNB single line fed by a PI-21 Power Supply & SWS-8 8-Port splitter (AU9-5-SWM-B-PWS)? Is there any need for the Band Stop Filter with this configuration and HR23-700 receivers?

It depends. If it's a newish SWM LNB with a green label, a Band Stop filter isn't needed. If it's been there for a while, a BS filter is needed (and in any case won't hurt). The HR23s will have DECAs attached and should not have BS filters. You'll want another DECA and PS to connect to your home network.

If the splitter doesn't have a green label, it should be replaced with a new green label MRV rated splitter (the old one will work, the green label one will work better).

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#1989 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,348 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:56 AM

It depends. If it's a newish SWM LNB with a green label, a Band Stop filter isn't needed. If it's been there for a while, a BS filter is needed (and in any case won't hurt). The HR23s will have DECAs attached and should not have BS filters. You'll want another DECA and PS to connect to your home network.

If the splitter doesn't have a green label, it should be replaced with a new green label MRV rated splitter (the old one will work, the green label one will work better).

Man, did this thread slow down! I wonder if the "Boys from Staten Island" have the DECA install figured out yet. I can't imagine turning one of them loose on my sat system. Maybe in a year or so. No joke intended here, I'm quite serious, sadly.

Rich

#1990 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,633 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:59 AM

Yes, in fact I think the time has come to close this one and ask you to start new threads as necessary for specific issues.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

spam firewall