Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV/DECA Going National May 13th

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1989 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:57 AM

No it's not, the page even says "This modification of your DIRECTV system is not officially supported by DIRECTV".

That page has been up for quite some time also.

Corrected :rolleyes:

It's pointed to by the MRV page: http://www.directv.c...ology/wholehome

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   GordonT

GordonT

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:59 AM

If you get new/replaced receivers, I think the answer to this will be yes .. If it's just the SWiM/DECA (no receivers), then the answer should be no extension from my understanding.

I'm not sure I understand why having an H20 replaced with an HD receiver that supports networking should trigger a new 2 year commitment. It's not like I had a choice of whether I got an H20 vs. an H21, etc. It's not a showstopper for me, I just don't understand.

Sorry if this has already been asked/answered.

TV's:
Samsung HL-R5078W
Mitsubishi VS-50805
Vizio E371VA
Satellite Dish:
Slimline-3S(SWM)
Receivers:
2 HR24-500 0x6bd
H24-100 0x66d
H21-100 0x466d

#203 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,645 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:00 AM

Just activated - took just a bit, but the CSR was able to do it.

Once activated, the Beta option is removed from the System Setup Menu on the receiver

#204 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:03 AM

I'm not sure I understand why having an H20 replaced with an HD receiver that supports networking should trigger a new 2 year commitment. It's not like I had a choice of whether I got an H20 vs. an H21, etc. It's not a showstopper for me, I just don't understand.

I'm pretty sure that any receiver addition will trigger this change. You can always keep an H20 and put a band stop filter on it .. it just won't be able to participate in MRV.

I think the SD upgrades trigger a 1-yr commitment (from current date) and HD upgrades trigger a 2-yr commitment. If your existing commitment is already over 1-yr, then the SD upgrade will not add anything to your commitment.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#205 OFFLINE   SBacklin

SBacklin

Legend

• Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:03 AM

DIRECTV2PC is NOT MRV .. that uses a different buffering scheme (read: lots more memory) and it is much less prone to problems.

Folks have even used Wireless-N for MRV .. But I'll still say that generally speaking no one should use either powerline or Wireless for MRV. The recommended method is DECA and I'm glad to see many folks jumping on that bandwagon today. Wired Ethernet also seems to work pretty good for most folks. But wireless & Powerline should not be used.

Oh, ok. Anyway, not that it matters obviously, but, the connection is only half wireless. The HR23 is connected via ethernet to the router....from there on out, its wireless. Also, I'm wondering if the wireless woes for some could be using the double channel width of 40MHz instead of the normal 20MHz.

#206 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:04 AM

"I guess" you could bypass the commitment and NOT have the H20 be a MRV client.
If you have an SD receiver swapped out because it wasn't SWM compatible, then this triggers a 1 year commitment.
Swapping out an advanced receiver triggers a 2 year commitment.
"on the up side", there isn't an upfront cost for the receiver swap, like there would be without the MRV/DECA upgrade.
A.K.A VOS

#207 OFFLINE   SBacklin

SBacklin

Legend

• Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:06 AM

It really depends. I have a Linksys WET610N and trickplay only works one way, client on wireless. Going to get DECA so that I can go both ways between my dvrs.

The router I use is the WRT610N Dual-Band router.

#208 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:07 AM

Here's a little more information and it does seem that CSRs are starting to get the idea this morning (woohoo!):

When adding MRV for your existing home network, please make sure you have the following:
  • Patience
  • Persistence
  • Politeness

In addition, DIRECTV continues to "highly" recommends DECA over any other form of networking the receivers. MRV will not be supported for anything other than DECA.

Good luck, and when someone finds a good CSR, please have them call me so I can get MRV added to my account :P
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#209 OFFLINE   bjamin82

bjamin82

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:10 AM

On phone now. One good sign is the voice system understood "whole-home DVR".

First attempt - Got cut off as soon as CSR answered.

Second attempt - Got CSR, she said there needed to be an equipment swap, I told her no, that I had everything I needed, she transferred me to "tech" and was cut off again.

Third attempt - Checked my area for eligibility. Seems competent, but doesn't seem to know it went National today. Hold music is horrible! Still says not available in my area. Hold. Came back and told me I would need an equipment upgrade. Told her that I already had a SWM and DECA adapters that I had ordered. She then turned it on. :)

It seems they key might be I didn't mention I was using my home network.

Ok, according to my wife, the Multi-room screen now says "Authorized", but my account info says "Not Eligible" But my recent activity shows it being added today.:confused:

Nice... well my first attempt, CSR stated that "The ads are premature, we are just getting training now, its not national until end of month"

Calling back :-)

#210 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:12 AM

As I noted in another thread...

There are several individuals that are working on identifying a clear and direct path to have MRV added for those that want to use ethernet.

The CSRs were trained to added MRV in a way that covers the VAST majority of the user base. As Doug has noted multiple times over the last couple months, DECA is by far the preferred method (of DIRECTV) for the MRV usage.

There are dozens of threads on the merits to why, so I won't dig into it.

But to the point, Doug, myself, and other people are identify an easy direct way so you can get MRV activated if you want to use the Ethernet method.

Hang tight, deep breaths, it will be okay.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.

#211 OFFLINE   MartyS

MartyS

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:12 AM

Nice... well my first attempt, CSR stated that "The ads are premature, we are just getting training now, its not national until end of month"

Calling back :-)

I'll probably wait until tomorrow to call... that way they can get a lot of the "kinks" worked out.
Marty

My Setup

Life is in HD and 3D -- be sure to enjoy it!!

Never argue with an idiot.
He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

#212 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:13 AM

I'm pretty sure that any receiver addition will trigger this change. You can always keep an H20 and put a band stop filter on it .. it just won't be able to participate in MRV.

They (at least some theys... probably the computer) won't permit an H20 to remain on the account with a MRV upgrade... H20 must be replaced, requiring a truck roll. SWM SD's are probably allowed with a BS filter... don't know.

#213 OFFLINE   SBacklin

SBacklin

Legend

• Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:17 AM

Well, I have to admit, if folks are getting it for $49 (or free) .. Why not go for the DECA upgrade?

It's one thing to be set in your ways over something, but if it's near free to move onto a system that DIRECTV is fully supportive of .. why not? :shrug:

Well it was my understanding that DECA needs SWM. I obviously have the old way. My cables come through my windows with flat cables. Currently, the cables are shaped in the U shape to fit the window...so it can shut. I never open those windows. I know to keep opening and closing those windows with the flat cables present tends to ruin the flat cable. I was also told by the tech that SWM doesn't work with the flat cable bit. Otherwise I would probably consider the upgrade...if it was also free.

#214 OFFLINE   adamson

adamson

Godfather

• Registered
  • 508 posts
  • LocationN Central Florida

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:18 AM

Now the story is ethernet can be used for MRV with HR24 only...on the phone now.

#215 OFFLINE   SBacklin

SBacklin

Legend

• Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:20 AM

Now the story is ethernet can be used for MRV with HR24 only...on the phone now.

That is bunch of BS. Lol

#216 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:20 AM

Here's a little more information and it does seem that CSRs are starting to get the idea this morning (woohoo!):

When adding MRV for your existing home network, please make sure you have the following:

• Patience
  • Persistence
  • Politeness

Absolutely :)

Once I found a CSR that had some concept of MRV, I made sure to be as charming and jovial as possible. Told her there were lots of similar folks that would be looking for the same thing, and "I'd take one for the team" to try to find the way to turn MRV on for Ethernet users, since I'm retired and have the time to spend (she laughed). :D

#217 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:21 AM

OK guys. I called back and spoke with a CSR named James. He is the second CSR I spoke to today. Both of them were very polite, but James seemed to have a pretty good understanding about how the Whole Home DVR works, and had a basic understanding of DECA, BSF's, etc.

After some research, and some disclaimers (which were obvious and understood), he added the $3.00 charge to my bill. As indicated by another poster, the Beta status has now disappeared from the menu.

DISCLAIMER:

I am sure most of you already know this, but I feel compelled to repeat it. The DirecTV CSR will tell you the same as well. For the optimum MRV experience you should have the MRV hardware upgrade completed. This will also put your setup in a capacity to be officially supported if you have any problems.

I told him that I have some friends that will want to do this too, and was trying to get some information out of him as to what screen he was on, etc. He told me that when you folks call in you should explain to the CSR that you want to "Add the whole home DVR service without doing the upgrade". Explain that you already have everything you need to run MRV, and are even doing it today. According to him the key was to say that you want to "Add the whole home DVR service without doing the upgrade".

I hope that helps at least some of you.

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!
My current setup can be found here!

#218 OFFLINE   flava

flava

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:22 AM

Just ordered the upgrade by calling. Whole call took 7:56. Spoke to Laura, seemed to know what she was talking about and very pleasant. Getting it installed tomorrow. I have 2 H20s that will probably be replaced if I understand things correctly. She waived the $49 installation fee without me asking. Hopefully everything will go as smoothly tomorrow with the install, but I doubt it...

#219 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:22 AM

As noted in the other thread...

You can continue to call, and elevate your blood pressure.

Or you can wait, until we have a clear and concise method posted to get MRV activated via ethernet.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.

#220 OFFLINE   jpitlick

jpitlick

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:23 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, but (with the possible exception of the H®24) how does the ethernet port know if it is connected to a network via DECA or straight to an ethernet switch?

Note, I would not put it past D* to program in a way to disable the ethernet port if DECA is not detected.

HR20-700 attached via HDMI to an Onkyo TX-SR605S connected via HDMI to a Sony KDF-42WE655 42" Grand Vega Rear Projection LCD
H21-100 attached via HDMI to Sceptre X246W-1080P 24" LCD and attached via S-Video to Windows 7 PC w/Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600
HR22-100 attached via HDMI to a ProScan 32LB30Q 32" LCD
SWM-8/STS-4
SlimLine Dish w/SL5 LNB
All receviers connected to gigabit switches and 25/25 Mbps FiOS

spam firewall