Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV/DECA Going National May 13th

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1989 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,052 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 07 May 2010 - 03:08 PM

So we only got 7 days to install and not get interrupted?

You have 7 days to call and get the flag set on your account. So far, it's not at all certain that a truck roll is going to be required.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jcwest

jcwest

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 293 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 11:05 AM

I'm planning to get MRV/DECA when available.

One question for early addaptors:
If you have UPS's installed on all DVR's but not the power injector for the SWM/DECA system, how long does it take the SWM system to "reboot" or initialize or whatever it does after a power blip?

Thanks J C

HR20-700
HR34-700 AM21
HR21-200 AM21N
HR21-200

#23 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:07 PM

I'm planning to get MRV/DECA when available.

One question for early addaptors:
If you have UPS's installed on all DVR's but not the power injector for the SWM/DECA system, how long does it take the SWM system to "reboot" or initialize or whatever it does after a power blip?

The obvious solution is to locate the SWM Power Inserter at one of the UPS'ed DVR locations (it can be anywhere a coax goes). Then your recordings don't miss a beat. (You may run into some installers that believe the PI should be 'plugged directly into a wall outlet', which is completely unnecessary. What is true is that you don't want it anywhere someone might turn it off (e.g., a power strip) or unplug it (e.g., to run a vacuum).

Separate is the 'bridge' (DECA BB) to your home network... which is not as critical, though if your router is UPSed, you might as well UPS that, too. (All my DVRs, router, access points, switches, PI and Cable Modem are UPSed).

Edited by dwcolvin, 08 May 2010 - 02:45 PM.

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#24 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:07 PM

You have 7 days to call and get the flag set on your account. So far, it's not at all certain that a truck roll is going to be required.

So, do I have to call to get the MRV flag set even if I'm happy with my HRs being connected to my home network and don't really need DECA?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#25 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,798 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:20 PM

So, do I have to call to get the MRV flag set even if I'm happy with my HRs being connected to my home network and don't really need DECA?

If you don't MRV will stop functioning. As LameLefty stated no one knows if you'll be required to do the SWM/DECA upgrade or not.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#26 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 08 May 2010 - 03:02 PM

No you do not .. but you will not be able to use Multi-Room Viewing if you don't. The charge will be $3/month regardless of DECA or home networking.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#27 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 08 May 2010 - 03:04 PM

If you don't MRV will stop functioning. As LameLefty stated no one knows if you'll be required to do the SWM/DECA upgrade or not.

You will not have to do the SWiM/DECA upgrade .. You WILL be able to use home networking .. It will still cost $3/month ..

The best I can tell, the CSRs are not yet ready for this (think 5/13). You will have to call in when things start, but don't call now as I don't think there is any way to turn it on yet.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#28 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,798 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 03:10 PM

You will not have to do the SWiM/DECA upgrade .. You WILL be able to use home networking .. It will still cost $3/month ..

The best I can tell, the CSRs are not yet ready for this (think 5/13). You will have to call in when things start, but don't call now as I don't think there is any way to turn it on yet.

Any idea if those of us who tested DECA are listed in their system as already having SWM/DECA, or are they going to ask if we want to do the SWM/DECA upgrade? :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#29 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 675 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:16 PM

Any idea if those of us who tested DECA are listed in their system as already having SWM/DECA, or are they going to ask if we want to do the SWM/DECA upgrade? :)

Very cool avatar brau!
HR34-700(leased)
HR24-100 x 2(1 leased, 1 owned)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

#30 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:31 PM

So has this been confirmed that I am going to lose MRV on May 20th? Or is this just speculation. Gotta prepare the wife ahead of time.

#31 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:37 PM

But, will the CSRs insist that I upgrade to SWM/DECA or just enable the MRV flag? The $3 doesn't really bother me as once DirecTV offers us our LiL I can save a bit when DNS drops off the subscription. Let's hope the CSRs are up to the deluge of calls.:)

BTW, when I opted into the Beta MRV how did DirecTV know it? I assume via the network connection, so they already know I opted in. Therefore, should be able to just start charging me the $3 fee. Or is this just too logical?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#32 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:20 PM

BTW, when I opted into the Beta MRV how did DirecTV know it? I assume via the network connection, so they already know I opted in. Therefore, should be able to just start charging me the $3 fee. Or is this just too logical?

So you're asking/saying if my four year old was the one that clicked "ok" to the opt-in screen, that means the bill payer will feel it's alright for DirecTV to charge me. :nono:
This will require an adult to confirm the charges being added to the account.
A.K.A VOS

#33 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:22 PM

But, will the CSRs insist that I upgrade to SWM/DECA or just enable the MRV flag? The $3 doesn't really bother me as once DirecTV offers us our LiL I can save a bit when DNS drops off the subscription. Let's hope the CSRs are up to the deluge of calls.:)

You will have to call and tell them .. I don't know the specifics, but they will almost certainly be reading you some legal speak that you will have to agree to before they turn it on. I do not think you will be able to order by remote or web, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong on that.

#34 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:23 PM

So has this been confirmed that I am going to lose MRV on May 20th? Or is this just speculation. Gotta prepare the wife ahead of time.

If you are choosing to not pay, then I'd say that the 20th is a good day to call "the end."

#35 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 06:18 PM

If you are choosing to not pay, then I'd say that the 20th is a good day to call "the end."

Thanks for the heads up!

With only two boxes and only me and my wife living here its not worth it to me. Plus its a little about principle about not paying for a software update either, but that's not for this thread.

Also if having to call in is true that further makes my decision easier. I HATE calling them!

#36 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 06:30 PM

I do not think you will be able to order by remote or web, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong on that.

I would be very happy for you to be proven wrong. :D;)

I remember the good old days when you could add a new receiver online.

#37 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,975 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 06:31 PM

Gotta prepare the wife ahead of time.

Gotta think $3/mo is well worth it to keep the wife happy. :eek2::)

#38 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 08 May 2010 - 06:35 PM

I'd agree with that ..

#39 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:04 PM

She will be happy, i told her i'll give up my gamefly and we can get netflix back. Also after the summer is over and I drop my extra old box that I activated for my camper i might check out MRV again.

#40 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:07 PM

If it was only that easy to keep them happy, we'd ALL pay the three bucks a month. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall