Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV/DECA Going National May 13th

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1989 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,938 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:45 PM

Came to that conclusion the hard way...:grin:

Don "the world is flat like my head" Bolton

Anyone who bothers to call in before 5/13 is pissing into the wind. You are wasting your time and the CSRs time.

Go fast, turn left, repeat until done.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,600 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:11 PM

I'll wait until MRV stops working and then maybe I'll call. I can always move some SLs to the LR DVR and leave the BR one for backup.

Any reason why DirecTV won't offer the MRV option online? Oh yeah, they need to verify that you have the correct equipment.

What are the chances that if and when I do call, they will try to force an equipment upgrade on me? Even if I'm satisfied with using my network?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#53 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,930 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:19 PM

I'll wait until MRV stops working and then maybe I'll call. I can always move some SLs to the LR DVR and leave the BR one for backup.

Any reason why DirecTV won't offer the MRV option online? Oh yeah, they need to verify that you have the correct equipment.

What are the chances that if and when I do call, they will try to force an equipment upgrade on me? Even if I'm satisfied with using my network?

If I were DIRECTV and I were the script writer, the chances of offering/suggesting DECA over Ethernet would be 100%.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#54 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:35 PM

I called today to activate a new receiver. After I was through with that, as an afterthought, I asked the lady (it was the access card department) if she could just go ahead and authorize my account for MRV now, so I wouldnt have to call in later.

She questioned me extensively to make sure I actually had DECA adapters or a DECA box, and even made me go outside to the dish to verify the SWM lnb had a "green dot" sticker on it (It did, dont know whats up with that). She put me on hold for a while, and came back and said my receivers all "passed" except my H21-200. Since I had disconnected the H21-200 to hook up the HR24-500, I can only assume they actually pinged the receivers to make sure they were connected, or else I dont know how she would have known the H21-200 wasnt "passing".

Anyway, she said she would update my account, and then made sure I was aware of the $3 a month fee.

You can take what you want from that info, as to what they will or wont do :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#55 OFFLINE   SBacklin

SBacklin

Legend

• Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:52 PM

I am using MRV right now....beta....through my home network. I read this thread. Am I correct in understanding that on the 20th...if I don't call in and say "hey, I still want MRV, I understand there will be a $3 fee", that it will be turned off?

Am I correct in reading that I could call in as early as the 13th to tell them I still want it to avoid interruption with MRV?

Am I also correct in that I do have a choice with either using DECA or continue using my home network...the fee still applies? They will push a SWiM/DECA upgrade and I can actually refuse it and still get MRV?

#56 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,811 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:11 PM

I am using MRV right now....beta....through my home network. I read this thread. Am I correct in understanding that on the 20th...if I don't call in and say "hey, I still want MRV, I understand there will be a $3 fee", that it will be turned off?

Yes.

Am I correct in reading that I could call in as early as the 13th to tell them I still want it to avoid interruption with MRV?

Yes.

Am I also correct in that I do have a choice with either using DECA or continue using my home network...the fee still applies? They will push a SWiM/DECA upgrade and I can actually refuse it and still get MRV?

We think so. Not 100% sure yet.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#57 OFFLINE   SBacklin

SBacklin

Legend

• Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:19 PM

Yes.

Yes.

We think so. Not 100% sure yet.

On the last one, which part are we not sure about?

#58 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,143 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:27 PM

On the last one, which part are we not sure about?

We believe you'll be able to use your own network and still pay the fee.
A.K.A VOS

#59 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,930 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:13 AM

We believe you'll be able to use your own network and still pay the fee.

You will be able to use your home network .. It's the "how" that is still alluding us. I suspect it will become clear on 5/13 when folks start trying to turn it on.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#60 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,600 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:46 AM

What are the chances that DirecTv will have the MRV option on the website? Probably the same as having your commitment date on it. :)
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#61 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,930 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:27 AM

What are the chances that DirecTv will have the MRV option on the website? Probably the same as having your commitment date on it. :)

You know .. I don't think this is going to happen, but as I noted earlier. I hope I'm wrong on this one and that it's just another feature you can check (after agreeing to the legalese) on the web page.

#62 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,930 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:32 PM

OK folks, what I am about to say is not fully confirmed .. It's more from information I've pieced together from multiple sources than from one single message. It may not be 100% accurate, but should follow along similar lines:

How to Sign up for MRV if you are on Ethernet (not DECA)
  • On May 13th you might start receiving a message indicating that you need to call in to DIRECTV to activate MRV
  • If not, on or about May 20th, MRV will stop working and you will receive the message.
  • You will need to call DIRECTV using the phone number from the on screen message. It might be the main DIRECTV number, it might be a special number (I don't know).
  • Beginning on May 13th (not before), DIRECTV CSRs should have a screen on which to allow you to activate MRV .. They will have to read you some legalese that you must agree to before MRV will be activated using your home network.
  • Once activated, you will be charged $3/month for the use of MRV and DIRECTV will not provide you support for MRV beyond the question "Would you like to upgrade to DECA?"

I'm sure someone will have tried this before I even wake up tomorrow :lol:

Odds are there will be a few growing pains as this ramps up.

#63 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,930 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for the info Doug!

Sounds like good news for the ethernet guys.

#64 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,552 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:40 PM

Great news for me Im hardwired

JACK,

#65 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,938 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:51 PM

YEEEEEEE HAAAAW!

Don "and there was much rejoicing" Bolton

Go fast, turn left, repeat until done.

#66 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,236 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:08 PM

Once activated, you will be charged $3/month for the use of MRV and DIRECTV will not provide you support for MRV beyond the question "Would you like to upgrade to DECA?"

Are they going to know that those of us who tested DECA already have DECA or are they going to be surprised when we answer their question by saying "I already have DECA"? :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#67 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:22 PM

How to Sign up for MRV if you are on Ethernet (not DECA)

What about folks who have DIY DECA (or hybrid DECA/Ethernet networks)? :D

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#68 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,930 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:25 PM

Are they going to know that those of us who tested DECA already have DECA or are they going to be surprised when we answer their question by saying "I already have DECA"? :)

Just tell 'em that you bought them from Solid Signal.

#69 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,292 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:29 PM

Just tell 'em that you bought them from Solid Signal.

+1

Has anyone received a DECA from Solid Signal yet? The website says they are in stock but my order (from Monday) is still "In Process".

#70 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,930 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:46 PM

What about folks who have DIY DECA (or hybrid DECA/Ethernet networks)? :D

We can refine the response over the next few days :P

#71 OFFLINE   sungam

sungam

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:57 PM

+1

Has anyone received a DECA from Solid Signal yet? The website says they are in stock but my order (from Monday) is still "In Process".

Two DECA and one BSF ordered yesterday and arrived today via FedEx ground. HR24 ordered on 5/7 is still 'In Process'

#72 OFFLINE   waylonrobert

waylonrobert

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:58 PM

In examining what the DECA adapters look like, and looking at Solid Signal's product page, I don't see how they could restrict users who want to use their existing home network connections without buying DECA adapters. Some people floated the theory that they would shut off the RJ45 port on the back of the receivers so that users couldn't bypass the DECA adapter. However, since the DECA adapters come with a short ethernet cable, I don't see how they could shut off the RJ45 port, as the adapter still needs some sort of ethernet connectivity.

Logically, it looks like users with their own home network connections setup can use them, but with the caveat that it's not officially supported by DirecTV and you are on your own for support (unless you want to pay the installation fees to get things connected "properly"). I guess we'll see in a few days.

#73 OFFLINE   sungam

sungam

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:07 PM

... I don't see how they could restrict users who want to use their existing home network connections without buying DECA adapters. Some people floated the theory that they would shut off the RJ45 port on the back of the receivers so that users couldn't bypass the DECA adapter. However, since the DECA adapters come with a short ethernet cable, I don't see how they could shut off the RJ45 port, as the adapter still needs some sort of ethernet connectivity.

My guess is that if they wanted to they could simply have the receiver look for the DECA device(s) and not enable MRV if no DECA was found. The DECA devices have MAC addresses and could be seen as distinct and identifiable entities on the network.

#74 OFFLINE   lzhj9k

lzhj9k

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:38 PM

Doug

Thanks for the leg work for the Hardwired guys

We will see what they say once we receive the message,,

Mike

SWM-13 LNB  HR-34 w AM21  HR-23 w AM21  H25  2-C41 Clients and 1-C41W Client

#75 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Supreme Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,430 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:50 PM

OK, maybe this is a stupid question, but what if one is presently happy with his current hardwired, ethernet setup? Does upgrading to DECA provide any kind of advantage technologically or performance-wise?

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...