Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV/DECA Going National May 13th

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1989 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   hitokage

hitokage

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:30 AM

I remember the good old days when you could add a new receiver online.

There are some CSRs that think you still can :confused:.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Hdhead

Hdhead

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:56 AM

Called to see if I could set up an appointment for MRV installation. Told me to call back on Thursday and they would be able to set it up right away.:)

#43 OFFLINE   V'ger

V'ger

Icon

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 12:34 PM

What are the odds, DirecTV is going to extend commitment dates with abd without DECA hardware when you call in?

#44 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,621 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:07 PM

What are the odds, DirecTV is going to extend commitment dates with abd without DECA hardware when you call in?

Quite low would be my guess since going with the DECA upgrade doesn't have a commitment unless there is a receiver swap as part of it.
A.K.A VOS

#45 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,616 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:17 PM

I can confirm that they have no way to just turn it on yet. As of Sat they did not and sounded like they might not be prepared come stated cut over day.

So far I've been through 4 different call requests (given I am in one of the test markets) and I get different stories from each but consistently informed they can do nothing short of a new DECA install till post national roll out.

I had hoped that being in one of the test markets I could just get the boxes authorized and avoid the post national rush but NOOO. I'm pretty certain the field techs are authorizing the receivers individually at the sites now which implies to me a keyword search would make it fizz:rolleyes:

I initiated several of the calls and had another email case escalated several levels. Got the escalated "This is how we'll tell you no today" response at mile 53 of a 73 mile bicycle ride I was doing up in Lewis County WA. When I couldn't get them to answer a direct question I gave up and thanked them for telling me no yet again.

"People in my market can subscribe but you say you cannot assure me of no interruption of this service". "So then those that signed up and are already paying may lose their service temporarily as well?" Sigh...

Am doing my best to make noises so the powers that be see a demographic such as mine exists and needs consideration.

It's a bit frustrating as I'm offering them the money with no up front investment on their side. Even if they roll the truck and have their tech "tag up" and they do nothing but authorize all 9 receivers someone is losing money on my install.

Don "patiently impatiently waiting" Bolton

You will not have to do the SWiM/DECA upgrade .. You WILL be able to use home networking .. It will still cost $3/month ..

The best I can tell, the CSRs are not yet ready for this (think 5/13). You will have to call in when things start, but don't call now as I don't think there is any way to turn it on yet.

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#46 OFFLINE   gary900

gary900

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:49 PM

You have 7 days to call and get the flag set on your account. So far, it's not at all certain that a truck roll is going to be required.

I just called to get the "flag" set and was told that option is not available yet. The CSR thought that 5/13 would be the date but couldn't be sure.
HR22-100 (2)
Hardwire Cat5e Network
D-Link DGL-4100 Gigabit Gaming Router

#47 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:55 PM

I had hoped that being in one of the test markets I could just get the boxes authorized and avoid the post national rush but NOOO. I'm pretty certain the field techs are authorizing the receivers individually at the sites now which implies to me a keyword search would make it fizz:rolleyes:

A co-worker of mine lives in Denver and just got the DECA upgrade. The tech's "keyword" in his case was "opt-in" on the beta screen... I'm curious to see what happens in his case when the beta ends.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#48 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:04 PM

I just called to get the "flag" set and was told that option is not available yet. The CSR thought that 5/13 would be the date but couldn't be sure.

Yup .. I wouldn't even bother until 5/13.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#49 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,616 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:20 PM

This would indicate there is NO real early sign up at all then and that somehow early subscribers will have to get the actual authorization when the mechanism in the DTV support software exists. This implies someone will have to trigger these either from a list or special notation on the accounts themselves.

Probably some IT droid having to run a program off a list from some excel spreadsheet somewhere:eek2:

Don "glad it's not me" Bolton

Could be a bit ugly

A co-worker of mine lives in Denver and just got the DECA upgrade. The tech's "keyword" in his case was "opt-in" on the beta screen... I'm curious to see what happens in his case when the beta ends.

#50 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:33 PM

Anyone who bothers to call in before 5/13 is pissing into the wind. You are wasting your time and the CSRs time.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#51 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,616 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:45 PM

Came to that conclusion the hard way...:grin:

Don "the world is flat like my head" Bolton

Anyone who bothers to call in before 5/13 is pissing into the wind. You are wasting your time and the CSRs time.

#52 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,552 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:11 PM

I'll wait until MRV stops working and then maybe I'll call. I can always move some SLs to the LR DVR and leave the BR one for backup.

Any reason why DirecTV won't offer the MRV option online? Oh yeah, they need to verify that you have the correct equipment.

What are the chances that if and when I do call, they will try to force an equipment upgrade on me? Even if I'm satisfied with using my network?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#53 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:19 PM

I'll wait until MRV stops working and then maybe I'll call. I can always move some SLs to the LR DVR and leave the BR one for backup.

Any reason why DirecTV won't offer the MRV option online? Oh yeah, they need to verify that you have the correct equipment.

What are the chances that if and when I do call, they will try to force an equipment upgrade on me? Even if I'm satisfied with using my network?

If I were DIRECTV and I were the script writer, the chances of offering/suggesting DECA over Ethernet would be 100%.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#54 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:35 PM

I called today to activate a new receiver. After I was through with that, as an afterthought, I asked the lady (it was the access card department) if she could just go ahead and authorize my account for MRV now, so I wouldnt have to call in later.

She questioned me extensively to make sure I actually had DECA adapters or a DECA box, and even made me go outside to the dish to verify the SWM lnb had a "green dot" sticker on it (It did, dont know whats up with that). She put me on hold for a while, and came back and said my receivers all "passed" except my H21-200. Since I had disconnected the H21-200 to hook up the HR24-500, I can only assume they actually pinged the receivers to make sure they were connected, or else I dont know how she would have known the H21-200 wasnt "passing".

Anyway, she said she would update my account, and then made sure I was aware of the $3 a month fee.

You can take what you want from that info, as to what they will or wont do :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#55 OFFLINE   SBacklin

SBacklin

Legend

• Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:52 PM

I am using MRV right now....beta....through my home network. I read this thread. Am I correct in understanding that on the 20th...if I don't call in and say "hey, I still want MRV, I understand there will be a $3 fee", that it will be turned off?

Am I correct in reading that I could call in as early as the 13th to tell them I still want it to avoid interruption with MRV?

Am I also correct in that I do have a choice with either using DECA or continue using my home network...the fee still applies? They will push a SWiM/DECA upgrade and I can actually refuse it and still get MRV?

#56 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,486 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:11 PM

I am using MRV right now....beta....through my home network. I read this thread. Am I correct in understanding that on the 20th...if I don't call in and say "hey, I still want MRV, I understand there will be a $3 fee", that it will be turned off?

Yes.

Am I correct in reading that I could call in as early as the 13th to tell them I still want it to avoid interruption with MRV?

Yes.

Am I also correct in that I do have a choice with either using DECA or continue using my home network...the fee still applies? They will push a SWiM/DECA upgrade and I can actually refuse it and still get MRV?

We think so. Not 100% sure yet.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#57 OFFLINE   SBacklin

SBacklin

Legend

• Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:19 PM

Yes.

Yes.

We think so. Not 100% sure yet.

On the last one, which part are we not sure about?

#58 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,621 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:27 PM

On the last one, which part are we not sure about?

We believe you'll be able to use your own network and still pay the fee.
A.K.A VOS

#59 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:13 AM

We believe you'll be able to use your own network and still pay the fee.

You will be able to use your home network .. It's the "how" that is still alluding us. I suspect it will become clear on 5/13 when folks start trying to turn it on.

#60 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,552 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:46 AM

What are the chances that DirecTv will have the MRV option on the website? Probably the same as having your commitment date on it. :)
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

spam firewall