Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV/DECA Going National May 13th

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1989 replies to this topic

#1201 OFFLINE   Hdhead

Hdhead

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:31 AM

:nono2: :(

DECA will only work if you have both SWiM & Compatible receivers. If you don't have SWiM now, it won't work.

If you have 9-16 tuners, you need a SWiM-16 as part of the upgrade. Anything else they suggest is the wrong solution. If you have 3-8 tuners, then a SWiM-8 is fine. Either way, you MUST have SWiM.

We all know this. Trouble is Directv and the installers don't. :bang:bang:bang:bang

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1202 OFFLINE   dminches

dminches

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:41 AM

I have 22 tuners and a scheduled installation on June 12. Knowing the knowledge base of the installers in my area, I'm probably going to cancel the installation and stick with the Ethernet setup that I presently use.

If it ain't broken don't fix it.

I finally got my ethernet setup to work so I am good for now. I am going to wait until they get the kinks out and then I'll schedule an install.

DirecTV subscriber since 1994
HR44 (5 TB eSata) -> Runco LS-5 via HDMI

HR24-500 (2 TB eSata) -> Samsung 50" via HDMI
HR24-100 (1.5 TB eSata) -> Sony 50E2000 via HDMI
HR24-700 - owned (2 TB internal) -> Samsung LN32A550 via HDMI
HR20-100s - owned -> Sony Bravia 40"

#1203 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:41 AM

Just called today and spoke with Byron in Alabama, a college student from Chicago working Sundays to help pay for school.

I told him I would like to, "Add the whole-home DVR service before the beta testing trial ends on May 20th". He understood exactly what I was asking for, and took care of it in less than 2 minutes. I checked my multi-room menu item, and the Beta was gone. I also finally got off of Total Choice Plus and moved to Choice Extra HD.

I asked him how it was going, and he said it's a mix of angry or impatient people, people not understanding or not knowing the service, long-time customers trying to get upgrades and new receivers for free, and a few of me just asking to switch the service on. He said it's not always easy when the scripts change, the services change, and he's expected to just jump into the lion's den. So please everybody, give these people a break. You are the knowledgeable ones, so IMO it's actually your job to help them.

When we were finishing up, he offered me Starz for a year, Showtime for 3 months, and $20 credit per month for a year. So with the grandfather update for 1.50 and MRV for 3.00, I'm actually saving 6.50/mo. for a while.
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#1204 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,719 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:52 AM

I have 22 tuners and a scheduled installation on June 12. Knowing the knowledge base of the installers in my area, I'm probably going to cancel the installation and stick with the Ethernet setup that I presently use. None of the CSRs that I spoke to had a clue about what happens when that many tuners are in play. I've also been offered an HD DVR and an HD receiver at no cost. I've never had a plain receiver and don't know how many tuners they have, but even if it's only one and the DVR has two, that would make 25 tuners. The only HR that I'd accept would be the 24, I do see a reason now for having one.

I also have two dishes feeding two 6x16 multi-switches. In my mind that would mean two or more SWiM-16s. I that correct? I would like to keep the two dishes active for troubleshooting purposes.

I've also been told that the installation would trigger a 12 month commitment. I haven't seen that in any of the posts that I have read. Is that true? I have no commitment at the time, but I don't really care since I'm not going to switch providers. I do realize that if I accept the HD DVR I will trigger a 24 month commitment. Again, I really don't care about that.

Is the advantage of the DECA installation only trick play or is there something else I'm missing? I can live with the trick play I have on the Ethernet.

What I'm trying to avoid is another installation nightmare.

Rich

Here's what two SWiM-16s would look like and a third should not be a problem:
http://www.dbstalk.c...70&d=1274032259
2-SWiM16.png
A.K.A VOS

#1205 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:17 PM

I have 22 tuners and a scheduled installation on June 12.

DECA can support up to 16 tuners so you'd need one SWiM-16 and one SWiM-8, you could in theory have a single dish feed the SWiM-16 and then cascade to the SWiM-8 for the remaining equipment.

DECA can support up to 16 devices, so if all 22 tuners are DVRs (11 devices + 1 broadband), you could, in theory, use DECA. The issue of course comes with connecting the SWiM-16 & SWiM-8 such that DECA can traverse both SWiMs.

veryoldschool has posted a method by which this might work (in theory), but I don't think anyone has actually attempted it.

Without this special (untested/unapproved) connection, you would have two separate DECA clouds and DVRs on each cloud could see each other plus if both clouds are connected to your home network, you'd see receivers on the other cloud via your home networking.

If your least-used DVRs are connected to the SWiM-8, you still may be fine with the upgrade.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#1206 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:18 PM

I called to get the unsupported MRV turned on (Non-DECA). This was the first time this CSR had done this. He was a very nice gentleman and we worked thru it together. Using Doug's instructions probably would have worked out of the gate, but after my 6 month prenmier promo ended this past winter I was told my legacy package would end as well.

Apparently it did not and that was a problem. So he had to terminate the legacy ChoiceXtra+Hd-Dvr and go w/ the current equivalent for the extra dollar amonth. After doing this everything was good to go.
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#1207 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,719 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:26 PM

veryoldschool has posted a method by which this might work (in theory), but I don't think anyone has actually attempted it.

Give it time, since even getting one SWiM-16 is tough.
The major change with the legacy ports of the SWiM-16 is that they are four of them and are full bandwidth, unlike the SWM8, which doesn't pass Ka-lo and only had three ports.
Since there is a SWiM-32 coming out [though it doesn't have the DECA bridging] cascading SWiM-16s shouldn't be a big stretch. Now whether there is a limit to how many you can cascade, at this time, is unknown.
A.K.A VOS

#1208 OFFLINE   Hdhead

Hdhead

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:32 PM

I am going to ask the installer not to do a 02468 (I'm on this weekends CE). Is there any reason to opt out of the beta before the install or shouldn't it matter?

Bump

#1209 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:33 PM

Installer is here. He is saying that he does not have the deca broadband connection box and they won't have them for a few weeks.

But, he says, since my HR20 and R22 are directly connected via ethernet, that it doesn't matter and all is well and VOD etc will still work.

My R15 (which he is replacing with an R16) is obviously not connected to my ethernet will not have VOD.

Does this seem right and am I missing out on anything without the deca broadband connection box?
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#1210 OFFLINE   Hdhead

Hdhead

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:35 PM

Installer is here. He is saying that he does not have the deca broadband connection box and they won't have them for a few weeks.

But, he says, since my HR20 and R22 are directly connected via ethernet, that it doesn't matter and all is well and VOD etc will still work.

My R15 (which he is replacing with an R16) is obviously not connected to my ethernet will not have VOD.

Does this seem right and am I missing out on anything without the deca broadband connection box?

Yes, you are good to go, just need deca at router.

#1211 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,091 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:36 PM

No. The HR20 and R22 should get DECAs and a third DECA will work for the broadband connection. There is a special PI for this third DECA.

#1212 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:36 PM

Yes, you are good to go, just need deca at router.

What is the box he is talking about that he doesn't have, any ideas?
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#1213 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,719 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:37 PM

"Not right" and "all he needs to do is" connect up another DECA with a PI to be your "broadband connection".
This is the current "proper way" to complete your upgrade.
Using any receiver to connect to your home network as the bridge is a big NO NO.
A.K.A VOS

#1214 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:38 PM

Have him use a receiver DECA as the broadband DECA ..

http://www.dbstalk.c...58&d=1273935589
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#1215 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,719 posts

What is the box he is talking about that he doesn't have, any ideas?

the large white one is what's not out yet:
http://www.dbstalk.c...74&d=1271184806
A.K.A VOS

#1216 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

"Not right" and "all he needs to do is" connect up another DECA with a PI to be your "broadband connection".
This is the current "proper way" to complete your upgrade.
Using any receiver to connect to your home network as the bridge is a big NO NO.

Sorry, what is a "PI"? I think this may be the thing he doesn't have.

#1217 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,910 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:39 PM

Sorry, what is a "PI"? I think this may be the thing he doesn't have.

Power Inserter.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#1218 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:40 PM

OK, thank you.

#1219 OFFLINE   p3pilot

p3pilot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 351 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:40 PM

Same issue that I had yesterday. Finally I was able to convince them to use a regular DECA adapter to hook to the router. They had no idea how to do it and I had to stop them a couple tiimes from doing it wrong. They wanted to use the PI there to power the SWiM LNB. I used the DECA First Look to show how it should be done.

#1220 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:42 PM

Pretty much missing the whole point of him comming out and doing the whole DECA/MRV upgrade for you.

Essentially, all he is doing is a receiver swap. While ethernet will work, he's leaving you in a completely unsupported state. That is not acceptable since you are paying for the upgrade. He needs to find the DECAs somewhere, or rescheduled for when he has them. As it stands, IMHO, this will be an incomplete installation. Not the installers fault per se, but those above him for failling to get him the needed gear.

I'd have him call his sup to find the DECAs, if nothing else, so you can tear into the sup for setting his guy up for failure. I wouldn't blame you for not signing the paperwork either.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

spam firewall