Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV/DECA Going National May 13th

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1989 replies to this topic

#1321 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:25 PM

Go first to the Help menu, then select Tools. You'll see a graphic for "refresh your receiver."

Excellent, thanks. I'll give it a shot.

Just tried it -- that worked.

Edited by HDJulie, 16 May 2010 - 05:32 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1322 OFFLINE   jsmuga

jsmuga

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 350 posts
  • LocationNew Hope, PA

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:26 PM

The install is done. Everything works but he could not get the regular MRV menu to come up -- it is still the Beta. So he opted into the Beta again & I see that MRV works. He redownloaded the latest software in an attempt to get the regular MRV but that didn't work. I think I read on here something about reauthorizing the receivers online? If I need to do that, where do I do it & should I opt out of the Beta first?

When the Tech closed my work order/ticket yesterday the Beta went away.
John

Slimline 3LNB SWiM16
1 HR34-700
2 HR21-200's
2 HR22-100's
1 HR24-500
DECA Network
Nomad

#1323 OFFLINE   rgraetz

rgraetz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:30 PM

My install this was this morning and with a little luck (and extra money) I got them to replace my R15 and my failing HR22 with HR24's. He didnt have the power adapter for the DECA so he just left it for me to connect later. He installed a PI at one of the HR24's which is where I am confused. Does there need to be a PI there or can I take it and move it to the network DECA? He also installed a SWMLNB and splitter. I have read all of this thread and the first look for DECA but am still confused a bit. Thanks for your help.

#1324 OFFLINE   T-Hefner

T-Hefner

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:34 PM

I think I'll wait a while and get the install moved to a different date. Give the boys in Staten Island a chance to figure out how to do this.

I think I could do it with VOS's diagram, if that equipment is weather resistant, but I'll wait awhile.

Rich

I ordered 5/13 the day MRV went live, and they processed it fine, and took my money fine...but when it came to scheduling install date, they couldnt. Said someone would call me, still waiting on that call.....I guess I will call them 2morrow if I dont hear anything.

Where in jersey are you Rich? Wondering how ya got a install date....I know a few people in Jersey got the same issue I did...
Samsung 1080p 120hz LED-LCD w/ HR24-500
Samsung 1080p DLP 61" w/ H24-100

DirecTV Premier Package + HD Extra Pack + On Demand
SWMLine3 w/ Deca+MRV

#1325 OFFLINE   Sandy

Sandy

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:38 PM

The bulbous coax on the right plugs into power, the one on the left goes to the input of the splitter, and the blue ethernet cable goes to your router.

EDIT: This is for a setup that has the router and the main Coaxial coming in from your SWM all in the same location/.

My router is not in the same room as my HR21. The HR21 is hooked to a wireless gaming adapter. Would I plug one DECA box into the Linksys WGA600N and let the HR21 still connect wirelessly?

#1326 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:39 PM

My install this was this morning and with a little luck (and extra money) I got them to replace my R15 and my failing HR22 with HR24's. He didnt have the power adapter for the DECA so he just left it for me to connect later. He installed a PI at one of the HR24's which is where I am confused. Does there need to be a PI there or can I take it and move it to the network DECA? He also installed a SWMLNB and splitter. I have read all of this thread and the first look for DECA but am still confused a bit. Thanks for your help.

Sounds like the power inserter on the HR24 is the one powering your SWMLNB. You will still need one for the network Deca.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#1327 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:39 PM

When the Tech closed my work order/ticket yesterday the Beta went away.

That may have happened with mine as well. As soon as I was done with the refresh I went to my equipment & the H24 had shown up. The installer couldn't authorize it from here (it uses cellular, I think, & he had no service here) so he said he would do that when he got close to town & I'm sure he closed the ticket at the same time.

#1328 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:12 PM

This is a long thread and it may have been answered before but why is a not-yet-available Broadband DECA specifed for the network connection when a regular DECA seems to be an acceptable substitute?

The broadband deca is just a prettier version, nothing more.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#1329 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:08 PM

RobertE - Good info - too bad it seems that some installers don't understand that.

#1330 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:48 PM

My router is not in the same room as my HR21. The HR21 is hooked to a wireless gaming adapter. Would I plug one DECA box into the Linksys WGA600N and let the HR21 still connect wirelessly?

No - in fact you just gained a gaming adapter for other home use. :) You would use the existing coax for your HR21 and plug that into the DECA module, then put a pigtail coax from the DECA to the HR21, then the short ethernet cable from the DECA to the ethernet port on your HR21.

Just make sure you also have the powered DECA at your router.

Think of your router as just another receiver, except the coax from the DECA doesn't continue on to a receiver (cuz there's none there); nor does it plug into your router (cuz only the ethernet cable does). The coax just continues on to the wall outlet (it's powered and it's the bulbous coax you saw in my picture).
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#1331 OFFLINE   dminches

dminches

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:57 PM

The Bandstop filter for the SWM only needs to be between the first splitter [input] and the SWM.
Bandstop filters for receivers need to be at the receiver.

Putting a bandstop filter in before the splitter means the DECA gets blocked to the other legs of the splitter. :nono:

So, does that mean in a set up with an HR20-100 you have 2 BSFs?

DirecTV subscriber since 1994
HR44 (5 TB eSata) -> Runco LS-5 via HDMI

HR24-500 (2 TB eSata) -> Samsung 50" via HDMI
HR24-100 (1.5 TB eSata) -> Sony 50E2000 via HDMI
HR24-700 - owned (2 TB internal) -> Samsung LN32A550 via HDMI
HR20-100s - owned -> Sony Bravia 40"

#1332 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:00 PM

So, does that mean in a set up with an HR20-100 you have 2 BSFs?

It means at a minimum you would need 1 for the HR20-100. Any others would be dependant on if you had a green label SWM or any non MRV compatible receivers.

#1333 OFFLINE   Sherman67

Sherman67

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:06 PM

Had my install today (Whole Home with Internet). I was the first in my area. The Home Viewing seems to be working fine on all receivers, but I can only get dual tuner play on 6 of my 8 receivers. The two remaining receivers only work as singles. If I change from single to dual on receiver number 7,then receiver number 8 does not receive a signal at all. I have two hr20-100s, one r22s, four hr20-700s, and a new hr24. The installer used a SWiM8. If I unplug all my receives, it's always the last two receives I turn back on that have a problem.

Should he have used a SWiM16?

#1334 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:07 PM

Had my install today (Whole Home with Internet). I was the first in my area. The Home Viewing seems to be working fine on all receivers, but I can only get dual tuner play on 6 of my 8 receivers. The two remaining receivers only work as singles. If I change from single to dual on receiver number 7,then receiver number 8 does not receive a signal at all. I have two hr20-100s, one r22s, four hr20-700s, and a new hr24. The installer used a SWiM8. If I unplug all my receives, it's always the last two receives I turn back on that have a problem.

Yes, he should have used an SWM16, I would call DIRECTV and tell them to come back out.

#1335 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:34 PM

It looks like you have 16 tuners. Without an SWM16, only 8 tuners can be supported. Even then, you can only connect 8 tuners to each of the 2 SWM outputs.

#1336 OFFLINE   Sandy

Sandy

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:36 PM

No - in fact you just gained a gaming adapter for other home use. :) You would use the existing coax for your HR21 and plug that into the DECA module, then put a pigtail coax from the DECA to the HR21, then the short ethernet cable from the DECA to the ethernet port on your HR21.

Just make sure you also have the powered DECA at your router.

Think of your router as just another receiver, except the coax from the DECA doesn't continue on to a receiver (cuz there's none there); nor does it plug into your router (cuz only the ethernet cable does). The coax just continues on to the wall outlet (it's powered and it's the bulbous coax you saw in my picture).

okay, thanks for the reply. I still don't know whether to go with the deca upgrade or not. My house has unique problems. It is a 90 yr old two story with no in wall cabling of any sort. Right now, we have a legacy installation going to 3 rooms-2 upstairs and 1 downstairs. All wiring is on the ouside of the house. There is no way to get coax from the downstairs to the upstairs except outside. 90 yr old houses come with their own unique problems for s digital world.

#1337 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:38 PM

8 DVRs == 16 tuners .. A SWiM-8 only provides for 8 tuners. you need to call DIRECTV and pretty much have them pull the SWiM-8 and put in a SWiM-16 to solve your problem.

Oh, each SWiM out port only supports 8 tuners, so 4 DVRs on each of the two outputs of the SWiM-16.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#1338 OFFLINE   george99

george99

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:47 PM

I tried reading a lot of this thread, but 54 pages is too much. Any word on exactly how to get DTV to allow me to use my own cat-5 network? I "moved", so having them install DECA is out of the question.

#1339 OFFLINE   gregftlaud

gregftlaud

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:54 PM

Sorry for the stupidity.....but why are so many people jumping on the DECA bandwagon and having installers come out to put it in..........if you guys already have MRV setup and it works fine thru your home network? I have MRV activated and both HR20's hardwired to my router and it works flawlessly. Never even a hiccup. Any advantage to having DECA equipment other than u get support with it from dtv?

#1340 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:01 PM

No need to have ethernet cables run all over the house.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

Protected By... spam firewall...And...