Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV/DECA Going National May 13th

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1989 replies to this topic

#1361 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:06 AM

Posting image file again...

Here is a look at the DECA setup again. Two diffenent type of SAT dish examples are included.

Posted Image

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1362 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:09 AM

Ok, i have rg6 ran to my office, just no tv hooked up, so they could put a deca box there and that internet would then back feed to all my other boxes?

Since there is no TV, don't be surprised if they do not leave a DECA. They may ask that you call back in if you get another TV. The demand for the DECA boxes seem to be pretty big. Of course, you could get an installer that leaves one! :)

-Mark-
3/98

#1363 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:11 AM

That is not true. I have total choice with locals and I had MRV added.

Actually....including myself....this is true more times than not. It worked out for you, and there is probably a different backend reason that we don't know about.

But there are far to many people posting that the legacy package had to go away before it MRV could be turned on.
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#1364 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:13 AM

Since there is no TV, don't be surprised if they do not leave a DECA. They may ask that you call back in if you get another TV. The demand for the DECA boxes seem to be pretty big. Of course, you could get an installer that leaves one! :)

But they should give him a DECA to connect his home network/Internet. It may confuse them to put it where there is not receiver or router, but if that's where there is Ethernet and coax access, that would be the place to put it, wouldn't it?
DogLover

My Setup

#1365 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,769 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:20 AM

But they should give him a DECA to connect his home network/Internet. It may confuse them to put it where there is not receiver or router, but if that's where there is Ethernet and coax access, that would be the place to put it, wouldn't it?

"Right" this could be where the DECA to router bridge is placed.
A.K.A VOS

#1366 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:20 AM

Absolutely. That would be an excellent place for the uplink to the home network. I was refering to an extra DECA being left for a TV that is not installed yet. Sorry if my response was confusing. :)

EDIT
If a TV is going to be installed in the office, a two-way splitter and another DECA would need to be installed to support another TV, unless it is a H*24 box that gets placed in the office.

-Mark-
3/98

#1367 OFFLINE   msm96wolf

msm96wolf

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:24 AM

Do you still need two rg6 lines to get two tuners? For example our bedroom has only one outlet and it would be a nightmare to run a second line. Does this new setup eliminate this issue?

#1368 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,577 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:25 AM

Does this new setup eliminate this issue?

Yup! :)
/steve

#1369 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:38 AM

Installers company just called to confirm. I asked if she had the work order. I said I needed a SWM16 for the Whole Home Internet. She challenged me "where did you get that information". I told her that I had MRV working, and with more than 8 tuners I needed the SWM16 and 2 SWM8s wouldn't work.

She agreed with me and will try to locate one.

Likelihood of this working? ZERO.

A total failure by DirecTV to get their installers the equipment they need :(

#1370 OFFLINE   housemr

housemr

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:39 AM

Absolutely. That would be an excellent place for the uplink to the home network. I was refering to an extra DECA being left for a TV that is not installed yet. Sorry if my response was confusing. :)

EDIT
If a TV is going to be installed in the office, a two-way splitter and another DECA would need to be installed to support another TV, unless it is a H*24 box that gets placed in the office.

Ok. You had me worried for a second. My router is up in the office along with a coax line so that is where i was hoping they could connect the internet and then do the swim 8 hookup in the basment (replacing my multiswitch) where all the coax lines in the house come into.

I am not planning on putting a tv in the office for the foreseeable future

Edited by housemr, 17 May 2010 - 08:44 AM.

#1371 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:42 AM

Do you still need two rg6 lines to get two tuners? For example our bedroom has only one outlet and it would be a nightmare to run a second line. Does this new setup eliminate this issue?

The SWM installation eliminates the issue. I had the same problem in our guest room & had to set the DVR to a single tuner. After the install yesterday, I was able to set it to dual tuners.

#1372 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:50 AM

SWiM= Single Wire Module/Multiswitch.
Allows for 1 cable to utilize both tuners.
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#1373 OFFLINE   AlanSaysYo

AlanSaysYo

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:58 AM

SWiM= Single Wire Module/Multiswitch.
Allows for 1 cable to utilize both tuners.

Makes me feel better for paying to have this installed, as I had no idea what that meant and still fuzzy on what needs to be done inside my home to get this working. I suppose that means I will soon have 3 completely redundant cable lines running to various rooms in my house, but there are worse things in the world.

From this thread and others, it sounds like I should expect the worst and hope for the best on my installation this afternoon. I only have six tuners and no extenuating circumstances so maybe it'll pay off to be Joe Six-Pack for once. :D

#1374 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,692 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:03 AM

Makes me feel better for paying to have this installed, as I had no idea what that meant and still fuzzy on what needs to be done inside my home to get this working. I suppose that means I will soon have 3 completely redundant cable lines running to various rooms in my house, but there are worse things in the world.

From this thread and others, it sounds like I should expect the worst and hope for the best on my installation this afternoon. I only have six tuners and no extenuating circumstances so maybe it'll pay off to be Joe Six-Pack for once. :D

Very good points, and a good perspective for those not deeply familiar with the technology.

This is a good example of folks wanting what it does, without needing or wanting the details on the technology that makes it all work.

The package offer itself for the SWiM/DECA installs is below what any individual would pay for it - a good deal as offered. It's also no muss, no fuss for those who could care less how it all works.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#1375 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,577 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:04 AM

Installers company just called to confirm. I asked if she had the work order. I said I needed a SWM16 for the Whole Home Internet. She challenged me "where did you get that information". I told her that I had MRV working, and with more than 8 tuners I needed the SWM16 and 2 SWM8s wouldn't work.

She agreed with me and will try to locate one.

Likelihood of this working? ZERO.

[...](

Same thing happened to me on Saturday. Installer did eventually get a SWiM-16, tho. He had to wait a couple of hours for someone to meet him with one, so he took another call before mine.

Working together, he and I got my house done in under 3 hours, including peaking the dish on my roof. Neither one of us had seen a DECA adapter or SWiM-16 prior to his coming, tho, so there were some hiccups.

Knowing what we know now, it was probably a one-hour job for 2 guys (7 receivers).
/steve

#1376 OFFLINE   spriebe

spriebe

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:11 AM

With SWM8 all connections must be to one output port on SWM8 for DECA cloud to work.

Is this also true for SWM16 because it would be easier setup for me to connect broadband to one port and receivers to other port.

The docs for SWM16 mention DECA bridge technology providing network access to all receivers(not full quote).

Thanks,
Scott

#1377 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:13 AM

I have all of the drawings that people have graciously put up on the various threads (this is a great forum with superb mods and leaders), so I am pretty much ready for it. My dish is outside on a pole, so no roof work.

I expect hiccups. I hope they can find a SWM-16. Since she hasn't called back, I am not hopeful...

Of course I took the day off....

#1378 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:14 AM

With SWM8 all connections must be to one output port on SWM8 for DECA cloud to work.
Is this also true for SWM16 because it would be easier setup for me to connect broadband to one port and receivers to other port.
The docs for SWM16 mention DECA bridge technology providing network access to all receivers(not full quote).
Thanks,
Scott

IIRC the SWiM16 can handle 16 tuners but only a max of 8 per port, since basically it's just two SWiM8's in one case with the ability to bridge the DECA frequencies between the two internal SWiM8's. That would mean that each port can still have only a max of 8 tuners on each port.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#1379 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,769 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:15 AM

Thanks,
Scott

First this is only true if you need to use the bandstop filter. Whether you need the filter or not depends on which SWM8 is being used. The early ones without the green dot/stickers, need the filter and those with it don't, which means both outputs can be used.

The SWiM-16 comprises 2 single output SWM8, with a bridging between them for DECA.
A.K.A VOS

#1380 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:17 AM

Forgive me for not wanting to read 54 pages worth of posts!

You could read the thread titles in the sticky section of the thread listing ;)
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...