Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV/DECA Going National May 13th

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1989 replies to this topic

#151 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:24 AM

CSR training seems abysmal. Even using the official terminology (Whole-Home DVR (not MRV), I get virtual blank stares on the phone. :confused:

D* CSR's are trained using the "trickle down" method. They have a master training meeting where specific trainers from each call center are trained via a nationwide conference call. Then these folks train their supervisors. Then the reps are usually "trained" (I use that term loosely) by reading the training info via an online training system and then take an online test. Now they know everything which is why when you call 5 CSR's you get 9 different answers. :rolleyes:

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#152 OFFLINE   tonypitt

tonypitt

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:29 AM

D* CSR's are trained using the "trickle down" method. They have a master training meeting where specific trainers from each call center are trained via a nationwide conference call. Then these folks train their supervisors. Then the reps are usually "trained" (I use that term loosely) by reading the training info via an online training system and then take an online test. Now they know everything which is why when you call 5 CSR's you get 9 different answers. :rolleyes:

I can cope with this, and others here are well informed (much moreso than me), but I can see a lot of frustration for others who see the big promos DirecTV has on their web site now and proceeding just based on that. The first rep I talked too was going to ship me new DVRs (at $99 each) and thought that was all there was to it. :rolleyes:

I know it's hard to sync things like this up, but before they start promoting something new they should back it with better training. If nothing else, a customer-accessable FAQ page might be nice. :)

#153 OFFLINE   aandjw

aandjw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:30 AM

OK - I have Swimline LNB (single wire from LNB to splitter) and 2 HD-DVRS (HR20-700 and HR21-200). Called to get DECA install (was ready for $99/$49 costs). First CSR said 2 year committment. I balked - he went to a supervisor, came back and said "I turned on MRV for you - so you are set - you don't need the DECA hardware." :lol:

I asked where he got his (erroneous) information - he said from his supervisor. I asked again for the supervisor. After another 10 minutes, the sup came on the line and again said that I didn't need any new equipment since I had a SWiM LNB and 2 of the proper receivers. I disagreed and asked her to check her sources again.

She came back and agreed that I needed the DECA hardware, but said she didn't know how to order it without ordering a receiver upgrade/swap. I said that the hardware was available online and she offered to just reimburse me for the cost.

SO I ordered 3 DECA and one PI from Solid Signal and she credited my account for $143.00! It will end up costing me about $20 (opted for overnight shipping that I didn't feel comfortable charging D*)....

CSR Roulette.....gotta hate it.....

BTW my account online reflects Whole Home DVR as Activated.

#154 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:32 AM

Just placed my order. They waived the $99 equipment fee.

Additionally, I have two HR21's and they told me one of them would have to be replaced with an HR24. I argued this point (and she checked with a supervisor) and she insisted this was necessary. Because of this, I wasn't eligible for drop shipment (which would have also waived the $49 install fee). Since I know I don't need an HR24, I asked her if I could refuse the HR24 and not have the 24 month commitment and still get the other stuff installed. She said that if it works without it, I can do that, but that all of their documentation indicates one HR24 is necessary. Install is tomorrow morning.

I wasn't planning on getting into a new commitment, so I will have to decide whether I want to get one of them replaced or not. A little annoying, since I could have gotten everything for free if their system didn't say I needed a new receiver.

Total coast $51.94 (+ a 24 month commitment if I have the HR24 installed)

Well after thinking about my situation (quoted), I decided to just let them swap the HR24. Based on the info given, if I'm paying $50 for the installation that I could otherwise have gotten drop shipped and done myself, I might as well take the new receiver. The commitment doesn't really bother me.

After making that decision, I checked the order online and noticed two discrepancies. 1) It said my installation was unscheduled and 2) It didn't say anything about the HR24. So I called in, and confirmed that I do have installation scheduled for tomorrow. I asked her to tell me what my order listed as being done, and she didn't say anything about an HR24 swap. I told her the other CSR said I needed one and this CSR said she didn't see why I needed one. Of course she also didn't say anything about an SWM8, and the online order shows me as getting one of those (even though I already have one).

I didn't press anything further with her, but if tomorrow comes and the installer doesn't swap an HR24 in, I will be a little agitated and hopefully I can get DIRECTV to retroactively credit me the $50 which I only paid because I was told I needed professional install because I needed a new receiver.

#155 OFFLINE   jsmuga

jsmuga

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 350 posts
  • LocationNew Hope, PA

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:34 AM

I was told by the CSR I ordered from that she had a training session on how to order. The weird part was they were not told when it was going to be released to the public. She was surprised today was the day.
John

Slimline 3LNB SWiM16
1 HR34-700
2 HR21-200's
2 HR22-100's
1 HR24-500
DECA Network
Nomad

#156 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:36 AM

Latest misinformation is that you have to have an HR24 to activate MRV. :lol:

On hold again.

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#157 OFFLINE   ShapeGSX

ShapeGSX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:37 AM

So they are trained via a game of Telephone. It makes perfect sense.

#158 OFFLINE   bakerfall

bakerfall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:38 AM

I think I'll wait until Doug gets an answer before calling. I'm going to be very upset if after all this, they make you get DECA for MRV.
HR20-700 (w/1 TB eSATA drive), HR24-500 x3, HR22-100, SWM-16, DECA

#159 OFFLINE   gpg

gpg

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,790 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:45 AM

Called in and got the DECA/SWM upgrade scheduled for tomorrow morning. I'm paying only $49 plus tax for the install and I also got a $22 month credit for 3 months without even asking. I'm a Premier customer (been with DirecTV since 1996) and I sub to 3 sports packages. I just hope the installer brings a SWM16 because I've got 9 tuners to cover.
HR24-200,HR23-700,HR21-200, HR21-100, HR34-700,
Sony KDS-R50XBR1,HDMI, LG 37LH40,HDMI Vizio 390-A1,HDMI,Sony KDL-40NX711, HDMI, Vizio VO320E, HDMI, SWM16 with DECA,
Sony STR-DG1000 AV Receiver optical cable connection for HR24-200, GenieGo

#160 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:46 AM

Yeah, I think it's best to probably wait till next week or even June. The fact that the D* website says it's still in Beta is not a good sign.

#161 OFFLINE   jsmuga

jsmuga

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 350 posts
  • LocationNew Hope, PA

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:52 AM

Called in and got the DECA/SWM upgrade scheduled for tomorrow morning. I'm paying only $49 plus tax for the install and I also got a $22 month credit for 3 months without even asking. I'm a Premier customer (been with DirecTV since 1996) and I sub to 3 sports packages. I just hope the installer brings a SWM16 because I've got 9 tuners to cover.

I hope the same since I have 12 tuners but I could not confirm with CSR.
John

Slimline 3LNB SWiM16
1 HR34-700
2 HR21-200's
2 HR22-100's
1 HR24-500
DECA Network
Nomad

#162 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,190 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:53 AM

The fact that the D* website says it's still in Beta is not a good sign.

Where do you see that? I'm looking at the Whole Home DVR page now and it makes no mention of it being "Beta". In fact it says it's available and you can call to order, like others have.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#163 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:56 AM

Yeah, I think it's best to probably wait till next week or even June. The fact that the D* website says it's still in Beta is not a good sign.

It's not in Beta an more .. I'm sure DIRECTV will correct that message soon. It'd be great if they could just flip a switch and things were all fine and dandy. Unfortunately, as early adopters, we're the folks that will make sure the mom & pops of the world will have that luxury.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#164 OFFLINE   gpg

gpg

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,790 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:59 AM

Neither could I.
HR24-200,HR23-700,HR21-200, HR21-100, HR34-700,
Sony KDS-R50XBR1,HDMI, LG 37LH40,HDMI Vizio 390-A1,HDMI,Sony KDL-40NX711, HDMI, Vizio VO320E, HDMI, SWM16 with DECA,
Sony STR-DG1000 AV Receiver optical cable connection for HR24-200, GenieGo

#165 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:59 AM

Where do you see that? I'm looking at the Whole Home DVR page now and it makes no mention of it being "Beta". In fact it says it's available and you can call to order, like others have.

I haven't seen it myself, but there may be a few legacy pages that need to be updated/removed ... There is definitely a new ordering section under services. That doesn't seem to indicate beta.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#166 OFFLINE   SBacklin

SBacklin

Legend

• Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:01 AM

Wireless and/or powerline should be avoided at all costs for MRV ..

I don't have any problems with Wireless. In fact I've streamed HD from my HR23 to my PC....PC is wireless and it was just fine.

#167 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:03 AM

With the SWM16, is there still the ability to diplex in OTA using DECA, or will that no longer work?

#168 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,173 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:04 AM

With the SWM16, is there still the ability to diplex in OTA using DECA, or will that no longer work?

With DECA you can't diplex OTA at all, doesn't matter if it's a SWiMLNB, SWiM8 or SWiM16, the DECA band overlaps the UHF OTA frequency band.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#169 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:06 AM

I don't have any problems with Wireless. In fact I've streamed HD from my HR23 to my PC....PC is wireless and it was just fine.

DIRECTV2PC is NOT MRV .. that uses a different buffering scheme (read: lots more memory) and it is much less prone to problems.

Folks have even used Wireless-N for MRV .. But I'll still say that generally speaking no one should use either powerline or Wireless for MRV. The recommended method is DECA and I'm glad to see many folks jumping on that bandwagon today. Wired Ethernet also seems to work pretty good for most folks. But wireless & Powerline should not be used.

#170 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:07 AM

No, you will need a separate coax link for OTA.

#171 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:08 AM

I just had a pretty painless call.

My current system: Slimline<Zinwell 6x8 Multi-Switch (no SwIM)
:HR20-100, HR20-700, H21-100 (all connected via ethernet) and *R15-100 to an HD TV* (with no internet connection in that room).

My order: MRV DECA upgrade $99 + waived installation fee+ $99 for HD DVR (HR24 noted as requested: we'll see what happens:))

total after tax: $215.08

I could have had the install tomorrow but I took Sat. morning.

Edited by mikeny, 13 May 2010 - 09:20 AM.

SL3 SWM, 3 HR24-500s, H25-500, DECA

#172 OFFLINE   njfoses

njfoses

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:08 AM

Am i to assume when i call in they will know that i do not have a swm setup and to instruct the installer to include swm equipment? Thanks.
Joined The Directv Family 9-11-07

au9 Dish
Mrv via deca
HR20
HR24
H24

E-A-G-L-E-S!!

#173 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,011 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:09 AM

It really depends. I have a Linksys WET610N and trickplay only works one way, client on wireless. Going to get DECA so that I can go both ways between my dvrs.

#174 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:13 AM

Just got off the phone and scheduled the MRV/DECA upgrade for next Friday. Thought the CSR was a little confused but I was his first upgrade.
He said they would probably swap my dish for a slimline dish but the installer would be the final decision. I've got 13 tuners (6-DVR 1-STD) so that confused me as I believe I need a SWM-16 in order to have MRV on all STB's. I'm not sure how the SWiM LNB works with a SWM 16.

He said I could not place on my bill but had to pay upfront with CC. I'm sure he was just going by a script. He took several notes; i.e., customer thinks he needs SWM 16 :lol:.

Just checked the website and the order is there but shows it is all free except for installation. Plus it asks me to schedule. I think I'll call abck and check my appointment time again.

AG

#175 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:14 AM

With considerable patience and persistance on the part of a CSR and me, my MRV is (theoretically) turned on now with the existing Ethernet network. :hurah:

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

Protected By... spam firewall...And...