Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV/DECA Going National May 13th

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1989 replies to this topic

#1381 OFFLINE   beer_geek

beer_geek

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:17 AM

I finally got someone to at Directv to figure out my problems with them not being able to add the MRV flag. As simple as it was, it took 10 different CSR's to figure it out. I am on the old Total Choice Plus plan, which needs to be canceled and be put on the Choice Extra Plan, from what I am told. They can't add MRV with while being on an obsolete plan (which adds an additional $3.00 a month)

I have the Total Choice Plus plan. There were no issues in setting the MRV flag for me.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1382 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:20 AM

Ok. You had me worried for a second. My router is up in the office along with a coax line so that is where i was hoping they could connect the internet and then do the swim 8 hookup in the basment (replacing my multiswitch) where all the coax lines in the house come into.

I am not planning on putting a tv in the office for the foreseeable future

Yup .. you can use that coax to connect back to the dish/SWiM and get power and Ethernet connectivity right there. The installer will probably be happy that no new wires will need to be installed.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#1383 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:20 AM

I have the Total Choice Plus plan. There were no issues in setting the MRV flag for me.

I [still] do too and the "problem program package" seems to be the one with HD & DVR service being part of the package and not added/separate line items.
A.K.A VOS

#1384 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:25 AM

Correct .. The only plan that I am SURE is a problem is the bundled 'Choice Xtra plus HDDVR' plan

There doesn't seem to be any other plan that is causing a problem, and the reason this particular plan is causing a problem is that for some reason the 'HD Access' flag is set to 'no' instead of 'yes'. It's really a bug in this process that I hope gets corrected.

Generally speaking, though to get whole home DVR service activated, you need the following:

• HD Access
  • DVR Access
  • MRV-Compatibility set to 'u' (you have to call to get this done)
  • 1 HD-DVR (HR20 or higher)
  • 1 HD reciever (H21 or higher) or DVR (HR20 or higher)
Once all of the above are true, whole home DVR service can be activated.

R22s count as SD DVRs .. Even though they can do HD, the DIRECTV system considers them SD and there is no way to make the system call them HD.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#1385 OFFLINE   housemr

housemr

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:37 AM

Yup .. you can use that coax to connect back to the dish/SWiM and get power and Ethernet connectivity right there. The installer will probably be happy that no new wires will need to be installed.

So no new wires need to be ran from the outside the swim 8 (mulitswitch) as all my connections are in my basement.

#1386 OFFLINE   Hdhead

Hdhead

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:39 AM

So no new wires need to be ran from the outside the swim 8 (mulitswitch) as all my connections are in my basement.

correct

#1387 OFFLINE   housemr

housemr

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:48 AM

correct

That is always nice. I dont know who mentioned it before about needing a second line as i just ran a second line to my bedroom tv in feb and i am surprised that dtv didnt mention the swim 8, or maybe it wasnt available for this install yet.

#1388 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:48 AM

Correct .. The only plan that I am SURE is a problem is the bundled 'Choice Xtra plus HDDVR' plan

There doesn't seem to be any other plan that is causing a problem, and the reason this particular plan is causing a problem is that for some reason the 'HD Access' flag is set to 'no' instead of 'yes'. It's really a bug in this process that I hope gets corrected.

That plan has always been a problem. To get MRV turned on, I had to change to the unbundled equivalent, then change back. After the smoke cleared, HD worked, MRV worked from the HD receiver :scratch:, but all the DVRs got DVR service not activated (I considered trying to start a recording from the receiver, but figured that some programmer thought that was a should not occur condition, and the universe might end :eek:). After some tense minutes (CSR kept trying to resend authorizations, which I had already done), a supervisor finally determined that the DVR bit wasn't actually turned on. This reminded me that when I first got the package the exact same thing happened.

Even now, the D* webpage wants me to add HD service.

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#1389 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 584 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:53 AM

R22s count as SD DVRs .. Even though they can do HD, the DIRECTV system considers them SD and there is no way to make the system call them HD.

Doug, does this mean that when I order the DECA setup, my R22 (HD enabled) will have to be replaced??

#1390 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:58 AM

Doug, does this mean that when I order the DECA setup, my R22 (HD enabled) will have to be replaced??

Not "replaced" because it's SWiM compatible, "but" it may be tough to get a DECA for each. Hopefully the installer will understand.
A.K.A VOS

#1391 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,617 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:01 AM

I have an R22 (HD enabled) and there was no problem. The CSR who set up my install last week checked and gave it the green light. It's very happily attached to a DECA adapter as we speak. :)
/steve

#1392 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:23 AM

If you have an HD-DVR an either one other HD-DVR or HD Receiver (H21 or higher) in addition to the R22 then there should be no issue in your case, the CSR should probably even be able to get you a DECA for the R22. The case where it's a problem is if someone has all R22s or perhaps only has a compatible HD-DVR and an R22. The R22 cannot count in the HD receiver/DVR requirements, but if you reach that requirement with other set top boxes, then you should be OK.

#1393 OFFLINE   steff3

steff3

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:36 AM

While I am sure this is absolutely true, I have tried three times (twice by email and once by phone) and each time was told that my expired legacy package (TC+) will not allow MRV to be enabled unless I change to a current package. I will try again later today or tomorrow.

#1394 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,798 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:41 AM

While I am sure this is absolutely true, I have tried three times (twice by email and once by phone) and each time was told that my expired legacy package (TC+) will not allow MRV to be enabled unless I change to a current package. I will try again later today or tomorrow.

I believe you may have missed the point - I had the same situation...so let me attempt a few added details.

The package is a legacy one - discontinued in February - so the issue is that this "package" contains HD activated, yet the Whole Home DVR service doesn't acknowledge you have HD with that package.

Therefore - if you simply call them and tell them you wish to change to the Choice Xtra Package, and then also add HD, then add DVR service (in essense...building the very same pieces of the package one by one) - then active the MRV activation - the Whole Home should now be operational.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#1395 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,617 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:45 AM

I have grandfathered "TC+Locals" and had no issues with the CSR that set me up last week. I'd try another CSR.
/steve

#1396 OFFLINE   steff3

steff3

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:54 AM

I have grandfathered "TC+Locals" and had no issues with the CSR that set me up last week. I'd try another CSR.

Exactly, there are others with this same package that have had sucess as well. I will try again, (and again, and again) before I give up and change to a new package.

#1397 OFFLINE   robd54

robd54

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:55 AM

Waiting for the installer to come to do my deca install, hoping it goes smoother than some of the stories here, but I have the diagrams ready if needed. Will post a report once done!

#1398 OFFLINE   The Spud

The Spud

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:57 AM

My install is scheduled for tomorrow and is pretty straight forward (2 HDDVRs + internet). Here is my question:

My router is on the other side of the room from my television. My HR-21 and other things are currently hooked up via wireless bridge. Performance-wise would it be better to run a new line to my router or would plugging the DECA for the internet into the wireless bridge be sufficient?

#1399 OFFLINE   MurrayW

MurrayW

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:59 AM

I got my installation done on Saturday. Had a very knowledgeable tech. He said he was getting all the DECA installs because no one else wanted to do them at this time. He was there for a little over 2 hours and was getting paid $20 by DirecTV for the install...this is ridiculous for the time required to do the job correctly. I tipped him $40 since he knew what he was doing and he made everything neat.

Here is a crude diagram of my setup in case it helps answer any questions. The two lines going from the DECA adapters to the DVR's represent 1 coax to Tuner 2 and a Cat5 connected to the ethernet port.

Attached Thumbnails

• deca setup.png

Edited by MurrayW, 17 May 2010 - 11:00 AM.
Add more info

#1400 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:09 AM

Installers company just called to confirm. I asked if she had the work order. I said I needed a SWM16 for the Whole Home Internet. She challenged me "where did you get that information". I told her that I had MRV working, and with more than 8 tuners I needed the SWM16 and 2 SWM8s wouldn't work.

She agreed with me and will try to locate one.

Likelihood of this working? ZERO.

A total failure by DirecTV to get their installers the equipment they need :(

Even after telling them that I needed a SWM-16, the installer - a nice guy, he's been here before - came without one.

He called his boss. They have to reschedule as them have no SWM-16s.

On the phone now with DirecTV. A total shambles. Launched without any planning.

Disgraceful.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...