Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV/DECA Going National May 13th

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1989 replies to this topic

#1421 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,365 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:19 PM

"We should have the parts here on Friday".
So I took a 4-8 appointment.

Warning to anyone who schedules a Whole House DVR installation. DirecTV has no idea what equipment the installers have in their warehouse. So they book it as another call and it WILL waste your time. All of the pioneers are dead on the prairie.

Funny - they had no problem taking my money. That system worked fine.

D* does have a really good accounting department. I've never had a problem with them.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1422 OFFLINE   lflorack

lflorack

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:20 PM

After (yesterday) getting two CSR's via phone and one via email (see http://www.dbstalk.c...394#post2457394) all telling me I was all set -- which I'm not (trying to go the hardwired home network - no DECA - route), I sent this, this morning:

Hi Chariza G. (100177868)

Thank you for your response and assistance with this issue. I have checked my account online (DIRECTV.COM) as well as my two HD-DVR's and all seem to indicate that no changes have been made regarding Whole Home DVR Service Activation. Specifically:

- My HD-DVR's still both show "Multi-Room Viewing" as active but in Beta mode
- Recent Activity under 'My Account' on DIRECTV.COM does not list Whole Home DVR Service Activation
- 'Whole Home DVR Service' under 'My Services' shows 'Not Eligible' and to 'call to activate'

Please help!

Lee Florack

We'll see how this one goes.

Update: I received a response late yesterday saying that they were sorry for the continuing problem but they had escallated my problem and to expect a response in the next 72 hours.

This morning I got another response which apologized again and said that the previous attempts were not completed properly but he'd been able to do it this time. I checked a few minutes ago and -- at least from the DIERCTV website -- all looks well! When I get home, I'll confirm it on my HDDVR's too.

It took four tries but it finally got to the right person and it appears all is now well. :)
My System Diagram: Here System Pix: Here

#1423 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,526 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:22 PM

Just keep making excuses for those guys. And another thing they took my money upfront and I have no product yet.

They cannot take your money without delivering. They may have put through a credit card authorization...which is not the same thing. No excuses.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#1424 OFFLINE   Bajanjack

Bajanjack

Icon

• Registered
  • 654 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:22 PM

I called the CR from work today-very sweet (from Idaho) she initially said she was aware of the "beta group" for MRV and could get me set up-she put me on hold and said all was good-she would schedule an appt to have a service call...reading from "Doug's script", I explained I did not need a service call-she put me on hold (still very nice) and came back and said that was true and I was "good to go", although no support would be provided going forward....anyway, to complete the story I decided to let her schedule an appt (for this Saturday) to put the DECAs in.....oh-she said they would swap out my H20-100 and R15-300 for new units as well.....the primary reason for deciding to go this route was to make sure it was supported.....
HR34-700, HR20-700, HR21-100,HR24-500,H24-100, R16-300

#1425 OFFLINE   texz71

texz71

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:23 PM

I have about had it with these people! Now I got a CSR that says you must have HD Service in order to get WHDS. Then he proceeds to tell me he just activated me for HD service, with out my consent and I told him I'm not paying for that and he hung up on me!
Setup:
- QTY 4 HR23-700's w/ SWM-8
- QTY 2 Linksys WRT-54GS w/ DD-WRT v24 pre-SP2.

#1426 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,526 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:24 PM

No misrepresentation at all. When I called DirecTV back to question this, I was told point blank that they have no idea what inventory the installers have. I think that is a serious flaw in the system. They book an order, but have no inventory. That's not misrepresenting anything at all - that's a fact.

The service was announced on Thursday. I called Friday. Got an appointment today. Installation company told me they didn't have any SWM-16s at all. That's poor planning. My contract is with DirecTV and not with some subcontractor. I should not have to chase up inventory....

So this wasn't a CSR responding with a structured response huh?

As for the SWiM16...not every install requires one, so there is not a one-for-one inventory on every single install.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#1427 OFFLINE   alm

alm

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:28 PM

Just wanted to pass on my thanks to Doug for his instructions in getting MRV activated using my current home network. I spoke with a CSR who's name is Aaron. He was friendly and at first not sure of what to do. I offered to read Doug's instructions to him for enabling the service using the "u" code. He was very receptive to me passing on the instructions to him. Within about 5 - 10 minutes he had the service placed on my account. I then had to go to Directv.com, log in and click on the activate button for Whole Home DVR service. It took about five minutes before my receivers picked up the service and the Beta option disappeared after I clicked on the activate button. .....Thanks again Doug for your assistance. :joy:......

Edited by alm, 17 May 2010 - 12:31 PM.
spelling

#1428 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:29 PM

Again, it is DirecTV not doing their job.

I know every job doesn't need a SWM-16. I have ten tuners. 10 > 8 so I need one. I even spoke to the installation company BEFORE THEY CAME OUT and then still showed up without one.

No excuses.

#1429 OFFLINE   Hdhead

Hdhead

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:37 PM

I know every job doesn't need a SWM-16. I have ten tuners. 10 > 8 so I need one. I even spoke to the installation company BEFORE THEY CAME OUT and then still showed up without one.

No excuses.

My experience has been almost identical to yours. I agree with your "no excuses" comment. They were given all the proper communications and then some to have it right when they arrived the first time.

#1430 OFFLINE   Blurayfan

Blurayfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,745 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:38 PM

Whole-Home DVR Service upgrade was done today. However I had some disappointing and even maddening issues. First the tech didn't properly upgrade my HR20-100, didn't install the BSF (Band Stop Filter) or splitter. I mentioned the need for the BSF but was unable to find the appropriate procedure to use. The tech tried a couple different ways of hooking the BSF and DECA up but never found the correct way. He came to the inaccurate conclusion the HR20-100 was defective because when Hooking the DECA adapter to SAT-1 it had no power but signal was received. Next hooking it up to SAT-2 gave power but no SAT signal. After the techs left I noticed there was an unauthorized Adult PPV shown on my recent activity on the DirecTV site. Checking the receiver shows was ordered at 3:31 PM while techs were here (2:14 till 6:00). What pissed me off the most was when I reported this to DirecTV the rep reversed the charges but stated it was a one-time courtesy credit for the Lifetime of the account. This is rediculous BS, I have sent a complaint of the matter to the Customer Advocate (Office of The President).

Update: Installer was back today, didn't have the splitter to make the HR20-100 work, so this DVR was swapped to an HR24. I've informed DirecTV Customer Advocate about the resolution and the rep stated they've heard from HSPs claiming the HR20-100s are still not functioning without error even with the correct setup.

Edited by Blurayfan, 17 May 2010 - 01:33 PM.

Slimlin-5 with SWM16
HR44-700 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 3.0 TB
HR24-500 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 2.0 TB
HR21-700 with DECA adapter for network
Network: Netgear WNDR4500
Internet: Comcast 105/20

#1431 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:39 PM

I have about had it with these people! Now I got a CSR that says you must have HD Service in order to get WHDS. Then he proceeds to tell me he just activated me for HD service, with out my consent and I told him I'm not paying for that and he hung up on me!

As I've posted elsewhere, this part is 100% true. If you do not have HD Service on your account, there will be no way for you to activate whole home DVR service.

Now, activating without your consent, that was wrong.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#1432 OFFLINE   oldengineer

oldengineer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:40 PM

The installers just left. I had a self installed SWM8 multiswitch, PI and 8 way splitter. The techs replaced the splitter with a 4 way green dot, removed a lead from the PI and connected my 3 boxes and the network with DECAs.

I changed my package from Choice Extra +HD +DVR to the individual packages and activated MRV.

Everything works great except that I have to stay in Beta MRV to keep MRV working. Is this OK?

2H/1J

#1433 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:42 PM

Update: Installer was back today, didn't have the splitter to make the HR20-100 work, so this DVR was swapped to an HR24. I've informed DirecTV Customer Advocate about the resolution and the rep stated they've heard from HSPs claiming the HR20-100s are still not functioning without error even with the correct setup.

I don't know for a fact, but it does seem that there are too many HR20-100s being replaced because a tech can't get it working. I'd start to question whether or not the prescribed procedure is going to work 100% of the time. It's probably too early to say for sure because the connection is definitely more complicated than other receivers.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#1434 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:44 PM

The installers just left. I had a self installed SWM8 multiswitch, PI and 8 way splitter. The techs replaced the splitter with a 4 way green dot, removed a lead from the PI and connected my 3 boxes and the network with DECAs.

I changed my package from Choice Extra +HD +DVR to the individual packages and activated MRV.

Everything works great except that I have to stay in Beta MRV to keep MRV working. Is this OK?

You may need to refresh your services from the web site. As long as everything looks good online, just click the following link to refresh:
http://www.directv.c...thorization.jsp

#1435 OFFLINE   texz71

texz71

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:50 PM

As I've posted elsewhere, this part is 100% true. If you do not have HD Service on your account, there will be no way for you to activate whole home DVR service.

Now, activating without your consent, that was wrong.

Somewhere along the lines I missed your comments regarding that. That really sucks that it works fine during the trial period, but your forced to upgrade to HD in order to now get it? I don't plan on HD for a while..so I guess I'll just give up on the Multiroom viewing aspect. I can't imagine that I am the only one in this position. :mad:
Setup:

#1436 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,527 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:52 PM

Somewhere along the lines I missed your comments regarding that. That really sucks that it works fine during the trial period, but your forced to upgrade to HD in order to now get it? I don't plan on HD for a while..so I guess I'll just give up on the Multiroom viewing aspect. I can't imagine that I am the only one in this position. :mad:

You have 4 HR23s, but don't want/have HD? :confused:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#1437 OFFLINE   oldengineer

oldengineer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:52 PM

You may need to refresh your services from the web site. As long as everything looks good online, just click the following link to refresh:
http://www.directv.c...thorization.jsp

Thanks, Doug. That worked.

2H/1J

#1438 OFFLINE   texz71

texz71

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:53 PM

You have 4 HR23s, but don't want/have HD? :confused:

I don't own an HD TV and I had no choice. They swapped out my SD Tivo's for these because of the 72.5 Satellite going away and are not offering MPEG-2 SD locals in our region. It was not by my choice!

For me personally, I don't see the value yet in what programming is available in HD. I work around HD signals all day long at work...so Yes I know the quality. I design and test these systems. I could care less about the HD picture quality (sure it's nice, but not worth the extra money)
Setup:

#1439 OFFLINE   njfoses

njfoses

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:54 PM

No excuses.

I live in NJ also and i cant even get an install scheduled. I called on Friday and directv can still not provide me with an install date and have no reasoning as to why. My gut tells me the techs here have no equipment and are not trained which is bs since i had to give my cc info only to find out i cant be scheduled for an installation.
Joined The Directv Family 9-11-07

au9 Dish
Mrv via deca
HR20
HR24
H24

E-A-G-L-E-S!!

#1440 OFFLINE   breevesdc

breevesdc

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:56 PM

Just activated my service using the instructions provided and it worked just fine although it took 21 minutes from start to finish (14 of which were waiting on hold for a representative to answer the call).

Be sure to mention that they should not enter the "Whole Home DVR upgrade screen" as this is a key part of the conversation if you were already participating in the beta program (and thus already have all necessary networking equipment).

Edited by breevesdc, 17 May 2010 - 01:01 PM.

spam firewall