Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV/DECA Going National May 13th

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1989 replies to this topic

#1461 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,712 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:05 PM

For all the naysaying and proclamations of doom, I had a good experience.

My three receivers are now all connected and working properly. I had an H20 which was replaced with an H21, and I also have an HR23 and HR21. Did not have SWM before. Installer checked functionality on all sets before he left and made sure my internet connection was good. The entire process took 2 hours. Installer said this was the first one he had done but did not seem to have any problems - he called earlier in the day to say he was waiting for the parts shipment to arrive, but that didn't turn out to be a problem. He arrived exactly when he said he would, which is an improvement over almost every other DirecTV installation experience I've had to date.

The strangest thing about the entire experience was that the installer used my bathroom without saying anything (kinda creepy). :eek2:

The whole thing just works, and that's what I wanted. :up:

Congrats all all of the first part...

EEwwwwww on the highlighted part... :eek2::lol:
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1462 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

Icon

• Registered
  • 937 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:07 PM

OK...I went ahead and ordered and had to go to Customer Retention to get any discount....they took off the $49 charge....but not the $99. Install is Monday 24th.

My GigE network works fine but I'm paying the $99 to have the DECA for hopefully future features that DirecTV is planning. I'm also going on faith and paying under slight protest the $3/month hoping that features like remote scheduling of one DVR to another DVR (like current MRV of HD to DVR) will be implemented. MRV viewing is nice but I'm going on record that I'm tapped out paying these Ala Carte, Oh By The Way Only Another Couple $$ Month Charges. Yeah, I know...I could choose not to...but what's an addict going to do. :D
Input/Source Equipment
DirecTV Slimline 3-SWM Dish, (3x) HR23-700 w/DECA
Sony DVD DVP-NC85H/B Carousel
Samsung BDP1500 BluRay

Output Display Equipment
Sony VPL-HS20 PJ (1368x768) => Vutec 110" Screen
Samsung 63" Plasma HP-S6373 (1368x768)
Samsung 32" TFT LN-T3243H LCD TV (1368x768)
Sharp 37" TFT LC37D43U LCD TV (1368x768)

A/V Equipment
Yamaha RX-V650 Receiver
VideoStorm CMX84 8x4 Video/Audio Matrix Switch
http://www.video-sto....asp?prod=CMX84

#1463 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,712 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:08 PM

OK...I went ahead and ordered and had to go to Customer Retention to get any discount....they took off the $49 charge....but not the $99. Install is Monday 24th.

My GigE network works fine but I'm paying the $99 to have the DECA for hopefully future features that DirecTV is planning. I'm also going on faith and paying under slight protest the $3/month hoping that features like remote scheduling of one DVR to another DVR (like current MRV of HD to DVR) will be implemented. MRV viewing is nice but I'm going on record that I'm tapped out paying these Ala Carte, Oh By The Way Only Another Couple $$ Month Charges. Yeah, I know...I could choose not to...but what's an addict going to do. :D

You won't regret it....SWiM / DECA is a solid transport for MRV/Whole Home DVR Service.

$99 for the install and equipment is a very, very low price.

#1464 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:12 PM

Hello All

First time poster.

I plan on upgrading to the MRV service and had a quick question.

I currently have 7 Receivers listed as active (I’m not actually using all 7)
I have an HR21 and HR20 both with 2 lines per, which combined with a couple of TIVO dvr’s and some R15’s uses up my 8 lines (I have a zigwell 6X8 multi switch).

My questions is:

Once you have MRV setup is there a need to have 2 lines into more than 1 DVR receiver?

With SWiM, there is only one coax to each receiver, regardless of whether there are one or two tuners inside. If your configuration will number more than 8 active tuners when everything is installed, you will need a SWiM-16, which allows as many as 16 tuners (16 receivers, 8 DVRs or somewhere in between), all DECA connected.

Edited by dwcolvin, 17 May 2010 - 02:20 PM.

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#1465 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:12 PM

Assuming the installer has the equipment, right?
$99 is a very good price. For some, it's not even about the money.

#1466 OFFLINE   thekochs

thekochs

Icon

• Registered
  • 937 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:14 PM

You won't regret it....SWiM / DECA is a solid transport for MRV/Whole Home DVR Service.

$99 for the install and equipment is a very, very low price.

I agree....I figure it's worth the $99 to future proof. Ironically, they should waive the $49....my three HR23-700s are all in a A/V rack in my Home Theater with the MultiSwitch right next to it on the wall, with the GigE switch on one of the shelves behind one of the HR23-700s. The backside of the A/V rack is accessable by walk in room behind the theater. So, I'm guessing this will be the easiest DECA installation there is. :)
Input/Source Equipment
DirecTV Slimline 3-SWM Dish, (3x) HR23-700 w/DECA
Sony DVD DVP-NC85H/B Carousel
Samsung BDP1500 BluRay

Output Display Equipment
Sony VPL-HS20 PJ (1368x768) => Vutec 110" Screen
Samsung 63" Plasma HP-S6373 (1368x768)
Samsung 32" TFT LN-T3243H LCD TV (1368x768)
Sharp 37" TFT LC37D43U LCD TV (1368x768)

A/V Equipment
Yamaha RX-V650 Receiver
VideoStorm CMX84 8x4 Video/Audio Matrix Switch
http://www.video-sto....asp?prod=CMX84

#1467 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,712 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:15 PM

I agree....I figure it's worth the $99 to future proof. Ironically, they should waive the $49....my three HR23-700s are all in a A/V rack in my Home Theater with the MultiSwitch right next to it on the wall, with the GigE switch on one of the shelves behind one of the HR23-700s. The backside of the A/V rack is accessable by walk in room behind the theater. So, I'm guessing this will be the easiest DECA installation there is. :)

I'm sure they'll love you for it. :D

#1468 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,591 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:18 PM

Make sure they re-peak your dish signals, even if they have to go up on the roof. If they didn't already tell you, that's officially part of the deal.
/steve

#1469 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:25 PM

When I got my "app't confirmation" phone call from DirecTV the day before the install, the recording said the installation was estimated to take "30 minutes". I thought that was absurdly optimistic, but based on the reported $20 payment, I wonder if they don't believe that's what it should take? The CSR told me that peaking the dish was part of the "Connected Home" install. That alone has to take at least 15-20 minutes, no? And what about travel time?

My 1st attempt at an install they said 3 hours and 30 minutes. For the second one they said 30 minutes for the same job.

#1470 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,103 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:26 PM

Hello All

First time poster.

I plan on upgrading to the MRV service and had a quick question.

I currently have 7 Receivers listed as active (I’m not actually using all 7)
I have an HR21 and HR20 both with 2 lines per, which combined with a couple of TIVO dvr’s and some R15’s uses up my 8 lines (I have a zigwell 6X8 multi switch).

My questions is:

Once you have MRV setup is there a need to have 2 lines into more than 1 DVR receiver?

With SWiM, there is only one coax to each receiver, regardless of whether there are one or two tuners inside. If your configuration will number more than 8 active tuners when everything is installed, you will need a SWiM-16, which allows as many as 16 tuners (16 receivers, 8 DVRs or somewhere in between), all DECA connected.

First of all, :welcome_s to the forum.

MRV requires SWiM, which is a single line to each receiver or DVR. The MRV or Whole-Home DVR upgrade requires all receivers to be SWiM compatible. The TiVo boxes and the R15s are not SWiM compatible, so they most likely would need to be swapped. Only the HR2x series, the H2x series and the R22 can actually use MRV.

#1471 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:36 PM

It just rolled out less than a week ago....perhaps a delay in shipping?

Installers likely fail to know everything that is in their inventories at all times.

Their computer doesn't even know what equipment is needed for each install. I defend Directv on a regular basis but this release was premature. Everything new has bugs but this was a big mistake. Even the CSRs in the department who are supposed to be handling the installs for this have no idea what is needed and it's not their fault. They should have at least had a few people trained to handle SWM/DECA questions and problems. Then the CRS could turn to them for help.

#1472 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,712 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:38 PM

Their computer doesn't even know what equipment is needed for each install. I defend Directv on a regular basis but this release was premature. Everything new has bugs but this was a big mistake. Even the CSRs in the department who are supposed to be handling the installs for this have no idea what is needed and it's not their fault. They should have at least had a few people trained to handle SWM/DECA questions and problems. Then the CRS could turn to them for help.

...then you might also have an explanation as to why so many other installers have the equipment in stock, and various people already have been installed.

#1473 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:40 PM

First of all, :welcome_s to the forum.

MRV requires SWiM, which is a single line to each receiver or DVR. The MRV or Whole-Home DVR upgrade requires all receivers to be SWiM compatible. The TiVo boxes and the R15s are not SWiM compatible, so they most likely would need to be swapped. Only the HR2x series, the H2x series and the R22 can actually use MRV.

Has anyone been able to get more than one R15 upgraded as part of the MRV install?

#1474 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:40 PM

Sounds like you are making another excuse for the fact that DirecTV has no idea what their subcontractors do or don't have.

At least TRY to admit this could have been handled better...

#1475 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,712 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:44 PM

Sounds like you are making another excuse for the fact that DirecTV has no idea what their subcontractors do or don't have.

At least TRY to admit this could have been handled better...

...but then that wouldn't be the truth, so move on please.

#1476 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:45 PM

Wow. Such blind faith. A true believer.
DirecTV is lucky to have an apologist like you.

They couldn't have done this any better.
Wow.

I guess it is all the installers fault. That must be it.

What a load of garbage.

#1477 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,712 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:48 PM

Wow. Such blind faith. A true believer.
DirecTV is lucky to have an apologist like you.

What a load of garbage.

Perhaps you might want to re-think the road you're on. If you disagree with the facts, so be it.

Personal attacks are inappropriate and not accepted here.

I nicely asked you to move on, and again nicely ask you to do so.

:backtotop

#1478 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:50 PM

You are 100% correct. I apologize. Seems like there is a lot of that going around.

Perhaps on Friday, when the subcontractor comes out with the equipment that was ordered last week and caused me to waste a day off, then everything will be just fine.

Until then, DirecTV hasn't lived up to this customers expectations.

In any event, clearly this conversation is going nowhere.

#1479 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,712 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:54 PM

You are 100% correct. I apologize. Seems like there is a lot of that going around.

Perhaps on Friday, when the subcontractor comes out with the equipment that was ordered last week and caused me to waste a day off, then everything will be just fine.

Until then, DirecTV hasn't lived up to this customers expectations.

In any event, clearly this conversation is going nowhere.

I sincerely wish you the best on your install, and your installer needs to get this done and done in a short reasonable time.

We're all with you on that.

#1480 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:00 PM

...then you might also have an explanation as to why so many other installers have the equipment in stock, and various people already have been installed.

You actually believe that you can call Directv and get some one on the phone who understands this whole DECA/MRV setup issue. The CSRs are cool, the installers are cool, not complaining about them. You even have a thread on this board that tells callers how to train CSRs to activate MRV for home networks. Isn't there some one at Directv who should have taken care of that training? I have one more install set for tomorrow and if they don't have the right equipment then I'm done and will just use my home network. Have to get my Visa credited though.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...