Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV/DECA Going National May 13th

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1989 replies to this topic

#1481 OFFLINE   njfoses

njfoses

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:09 PM

So directv can still not schedule my install and has now informed me that somebody from the local installation office will contact me within 72 hrs to get it figured out. If i do not have an installation date by this Friday which will be a week since i placed the order im going to cancel the work order, get a refund and wait a few months to try again. Im not a very happy camper.
Joined The Directv Family 9-11-07

au9 Dish
Mrv via deca
HR20
HR24
H24

E-A-G-L-E-S!!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#1482 OFFLINE   Sherman67

Sherman67

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:17 PM

Had my install today (Whole Home with Internet). I was the first in my area. The Home Viewing seems to be working fine on all receivers, but I can only get dual tuner play on 6 of my 8 receivers. The two remaining receivers only work as singles. If I change from single to dual on receiver number 7,then receiver number 8 does not receive a signal at all. I have two hr20-100s, one r22s, four hr20-700s, and a new hr24. The installer used a SWiM8. If I unplug all my receives, it's always the last two receives I turn back on that have a problem.

Should he have used a SWiM16?

I called my installer and he told me that he did install a SWiM16 in my setup. He had another driver bring one by while I ran out. I just went in the basement and there is a 16 Channel SWiM, but I'm not sure about the setup since none of the Legacy or Flex ports have any lines in them.

Although I have 8 receivers, I did not have 2 lines running into all of them, so most of them only used a single tuner. My new setup has the lines that run to the receivers connected to two 8-way splitters (2-2150 MHz 8 way splitters). The first 8-way splitter has a line from it to the swm2 input on the 16 channel SWiM. The second 8-way splitter goes into the Signal to IRD input on a "Stand Alone SWM8 Module Only." Then there is a line from the "Power to SWM" input on the Stand Alone SWM8 Module to the SWM1/PWR input on the 16 channel SWiM.

Is this correct? How should it be setup?

#1483 ONLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:17 PM

So directv can still not schedule my install and has now informed me that somebody from the local installation office will contact me within 72 hrs to get it figured out. If i do not have an installation date by this Friday which will be a week since i placed the order im going to cancel the work order, get a refund and wait a few months to try again. Im not a very happy camper.

We all should have waited a few months.

#1484 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:20 PM

Check in a day or so online and see if you can schedule it there.

#1485 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,108 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:20 PM

You actually believe that you can call Directv and get some one on the phone who understands this whole DECA/MRV setup issue. The CSRs are cool, the installers are cool, not complaining about them. You even have a thread on this board that tells callers how to train CSRs to activate MRV for home networks. Isn't there some one at Directv who should have taken care of that training? I have one more install set for tomorrow and if they don't have the right equipment then I'm done and will just use my home network. Have to get my Visa credited though.

It needed to be done and was days before and up to the launch date. That made many of the CSRs very raw for knowledge on the topic.

They received both printed material and had a short class on the topic, but honestly, that was alot to comprehend in such a short time.

I actually spoke late last week to 5 different CSRs who were very well versed on Whole Home. I also spoke to 1 who had no clue what it was all about, but that was his first day back from vacation, so he hadn't caught up on the printed and other material yet, nor gone to the class they had.

Until you go through the entire cycle of a week of folks who work on different days/shifts...there's going to be some "rookie knowledge" out there. It seems folks this week are having far fewer issues.

Yup - agree with you that perhaps another week of lead time on the training would have been a good idea. Perhaps they'll learn from this experience.

Hope your activation goes well.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#1486 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:30 PM

I called my installer and he told me that he did install a SWiM16 in my setup. He had another driver bring one by while I ran out. I just went in the basement and there is a 16 Channel SWiM, but I'm not sure about the setup since none of the Legacy or Flex ports have any lines in them.

Although I have 8 receivers, I did not have 2 lines running into all of them, so most of them only used a single tuner. My new setup has the lines that run to the receivers connected to two 8-way splitters (2-2150 MHz 8 way splitters). The first 8-way splitter has a line from it to the swm2 input on the 16 channel SWiM. The second 8-way splitter goes into the Signal to IRD input on a "Stand Alone SWM8 Module Only." Then there is a line from the "Power to SWM" input on the Stand Alone SWM8 Module to the SWM1/PWR input on the 16 channel SWiM.

Is this correct? How should it be setup?

That doesn't sound at all correct. Assuming you really do have a SWiM-16, one of the 8-way splitters (the one with the PI on it) should go to its SWM1/PWR output and the other 8-way splitter should go to its SWM2 output. Four of your DVRs should be attached to each of the splitters, with 4 caps on the remaining outputs. Four wires from the dish should go to the SWiM input. Period.

No additional "Stand Alone SWM8 Module Only." (Is that a SWM-8?).

Does this actually work? (I assume not) It sounds really messed up. :confused:

Could you post a picture? We could use a good laugh. :D

Edited by dwcolvin, 17 May 2010 - 03:42 PM.

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#1487 OFFLINE   kanebogin

kanebogin

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:31 PM

Successful MRV/DECA Install - With Added Adventures!

I called Friday the 14th. Had a very helpful CSR. She told me she knew about Whole-Home DVR Service but I was her 1st real customer call and she apologized for any delays. It did take her a while to find everything and I had to go on hold while she consulted with her supervisor, but it was no more than a 15 minute call. She thanked me many times and emphasized that she wanted to get everything right. She said everything would be ready - the installer would have everything he needed - DECAs, switches... She gave me an install of Sunday morning. I thought that was quick since I was calling on Friday afternoon. She made sure I knew about the install and equipment charges - $160 and the $3 monthly charge. She was great and I thought I was all set.

Sunday morning the installer arrives on time. I was his first MRV install ever. He had had some training with a manual but had not seen an installed MRV network. He surveyed my house and was surprised to find I did not have SWiM. His work order gave him no idea he would have to do that. So he spent his first hour up and down the ladder installing the SWiM and fixing my dish. He didn't like the way it was braced and aligned. He was really great. Very dedicated to getting everything right. It turns out he's not really an installer but a trouble shooter working usually on custom installs (he said he worked on John Madden's system). Anyway now SWim is ready and on to the MRV install. He had the the 3 DECAs he needed (I have only 2 receivers - HR20-700 and HR23-700) but no power supply for the 1 DECA that needs power. It turns out you don't need to power that DECA for MRV but it does need power for an internet connection. He couldn't find any other installers in the area with a power supply for the DECA so he tried to improvise. He finally ended up getting power to it by using an extra SWiM power supply!
3 hours after he arrived he was done. MRV works wonderfully and I'm very happy.

So here's what I learned:
1 - CSR's and installers are a little unprepared but very committed to getting things right. They take their time to make sure.
2 - Make sure your installer has a DECA power supply
3 - Let the CSR know if you have SWiM. Just so the installer is prepared for the job he has to do.

Thanks DIRECTV - The Whole-Home DVR Service is another reason I'm a very loyal customer and your employees make sure I stay loyal.

#1488 OFFLINE   Sherman67

Sherman67

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:38 PM

That doesn't sound at all correct. Assuming you really do have a SWiM-16, one of the 8-way splitters (the one with the PI on it) should go to its SWM1/PWR output and the other 8-way splitter should go to its SWM2 output. Four wires from the dish should go to the SWiM input. Period.

No additional "Stand Alone SWM8 Module Only." (Is that a SWM-8?).

Does this actually work? (I assume not) It sounds really messed up. :confused:

It works for 6 of my 8 receivers. I'm able to use the dual tuners and the Whole Home viewing feature. On the other 2 receivers, I'm only able to use a single tuner, but MRV does works.

I don't think it's a SWM-8, it has "Stand Alone SWM8 Module Only" written on it.

#1489 OFFLINE   DavidT91

DavidT91

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:39 PM

Thanks for the welcome and the info. I would love to get a new HR24 and start to get rid of the old non-HD stuff I have.

I guess the follow up question would be how would I be able to record 3 to 4 different programs on at the same time if we only can use 1 coax per dvr?

Because right now I can do that with my 2 HD DVR's

#1490 OFFLINE   DMRI2006

DMRI2006

Godfather

• Registered
  • 442 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:53 PM

...but then that wouldn't be the truth, so move on please.

This isn't a "personal attack," you are certainly entitled to your opinions, I'm just curious why you keep posting in this thread whenever anything even remotely negative is written about someone's installation experiences? When I read that people take a day off from work and the installation couldn't go through because of sheer incompetence, that raises a red flag to me. I don't quite get where you are coming from with your continual follow-ups about how wonderful the service is, how low it costs, or excuses as to why they fumbled the ball. They simply did. Consumers don't want to read excuses -- they want to get what they paid for, period.

While it's clear some folks have had very good experiences, it's also obvious that not everyone's installations has gone smoothly. Saying the CSR's will hopefully "learn from their experience" sure doesn't help the consumer out whose cards have already been charged and whose time has already been wasted. :nono2: You ought to be more concerned with that than defending Directv at every step of the way.

#1491 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:54 PM

Assuming you really do have a SWiM-16, one of the 8-way splitters (the one with the PI on it) should go to its SWM1/PWR output and the other 8-way splitter should go to its SWM2 output.

the SWiM-16 has its own power connector and someone over the weekend found his was running fairly hot when powered through the SWM output.
this changed to about 115 degrees after changing things and also moving the power to the correct connector.
I've posted the SWiM-16 in the images thread on top here.
A.K.A VOS

#1492 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:54 PM

It works for 6 of my 8 receivers. I'm able to use the dual tuners and the Whole Home viewing feature. On the other 2 receivers, I'm only able to use a single tuner, but MRV does works.

I don't think it's a SWM-8, it has "Stand Alone SWM8 Module Only" written on it.

Is the "Stand Alone SWM8 Module Only" gizmo plugged in (i.e., is it a power inserter)? That would be ok.

How are the receivers distributed between the 8-way splitters (if it's not 4/4, that's the problem).

#1493 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:56 PM

I assume it's easy to see the switch .. Are there connections to both of the SWiM outputs (#1 & #2)?

If so, each of these go to a splitter, yes?

How many receiver connections into each of the two splitters?
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#1494 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:59 PM

the SWiM-16 has its own power connector and someone over the weekend found his was running fairly hot when powered through the SWM output.
this changed to about 115 degrees after changing things and also moving the power to the correct connector.

It may not always be possible to use the power port alone. In my situation, I have the power inserter connected directly to the power port and the SWiM-1 & SWiM-2 output go to back to the receivers (as VOS is suggesting).

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#1495 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,108 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:04 PM

This isn't a "personal attack," you are certainly entitled to your opinions, I'm just curious why you keep posting in this thread whenever anything even remotely negative is written about someone's installation experiences?

Not on a negative experience, rather, on a negative expression of how things should be done in a Utopian world - there is a difference.

Many folks here over the past week are new to MRV/Whole Home DVR Service. They are seeking information, not negative rants about how a few think the world should work. That only adds to confusion, especially to those new candidates/customers.

I even saw one of the Mods actually post solid information 3 times in one day, only to be basically told he didn't know what he was talking about (which couldn't be further from the truth).

So enough already - let's try to help people with useful information and actual experiences (good or bad), rather than focus on philosophic discussions on Utopia.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#1496 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:09 PM

My SWiM-16 is powered through the SWM1/PWR port (the PI is a new one marked 'SWM-8 and SWM-16' (something like that) with only a power output (i.e., it's a power supply, not a power inserter) that must be splittered into the line at a receiver (there because it's on a UPS). The SWiM runs 'fairly hot' (maybe hotter than 'fairly hot').

You have me a little worried. :grrr:
I may do a little rewiring tomorrow.

#1497 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:11 PM

My SWiM-16 is powered through the SWM1/PWR port (the PI is a new one marked 'SWM-8 and SWM-16' (something like that) with only a power output (i.e., it's a power supply, not a power inserter) that must be splittered into the line at a receiver (there because it's on a UPS). The SWiM runs 'fairly hot' (maybe hotter than 'fairly hot').

Is it working? If yes, don't screw with it.
Better yet, post some pics before you screw with it.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#1498 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:15 PM

I just got an update on the one running @ 115. Today it's 133 :eek2:
SWM8s never got this warm [or mine sure never did].
A.K.A VOS

#1499 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:17 PM

I'm trying to track down info Re: temps. I know mine runs what I'd call a little hot but I haven't done anything with it in months and it's doing just fine. Not sure of a good way to test the temperature on it.

#1500 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:19 PM

I'm trying to track down info Re: temps. I know mine runs what I'd call a little hot but I haven't done anything with it in months and it's doing just fine. Not sure of a good way to test the temperature on it.

have a thermometer? :lol:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1274129676
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...