Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV/DECA Going National May 13th

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1989 replies to this topic

#1501 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,098 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:19 PM

I'm trying to track down info Re: temps. I know mine runs what I'd call a little hot but I haven't done anything with it in months and it's doing just fine. Not sure of a good way to test the temperature on it.

That would be interesting info - can you find out about SWM8 and SWM16 "expected" max temps please?

A contact thermometer should work, and even some of the higher end meat thermometers. Just don't stick it into the SWiM to find out if its fully cooked. :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#1502 OFFLINE   bb37

bb37

Godfather

• Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:25 PM

Not sure of a good way to test the temperature on it.

Know somebody with a handheld infrared temperature probe? If you have a friend in the HVAC or temperature controls business, they probably have one.
Air, water, food, and shelter are needs.
Television and your favorite channels are wants.
Don't confuse the two.

#1503 OFFLINE   bb37

bb37

Godfather

• Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:28 PM

The case where it's a problem is if someone has all R22s or perhaps only has a compatible HD-DVR and an R22.

I have an HR21 and an R22 in service and another R22 stashed away that I may put in service in the future. I plan to stick with MRV over my home network for the time being. Are you saying that I may have a problem if I try to go with the DECA solution? Suggestions for resolving this problem?
Don't confuse the two.

#1504 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:30 PM

I have an HR21 and an R22 in service and another R22 stashed away that I may put in service in the future. I plan to stick with MRV over my home network for the time being. Are you saying that I may have a problem if I try to go with the DECA solution? Suggestions for resolving this problem?

add a H21/23/24 to your account.
A.K.A VOS

#1505 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:37 PM

Is your R22 an R22 (HD)? If so and the CSR tells you MRV is a "no go" unless you upgrade the R22 to an HR, if I were you I'd argue that since the R22 was HD-enabled, you should not have to pay anything over the $99 MRV install fee to be upgraded to a comparable HD DVR. Nor should your commitment be extended, for the same reason. Just my .02.
/steve

#1506 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:44 PM

Is your R22 an R22 (HD)? If so and the CSR tells you MRV is a "no go" unless you upgrade the R22 to an HR, if I were you I'd argue that since the R22 was HD-enabled, you should not have to pay anything over the $99 MRV install fee to be upgraded to a comparable HD DVR. Nor should your commitment be extended, for the same reason. Just my .02.

"IF ONLY" the system would accept this. Adding a HD receiver would be a work-a-round, so the system shows: 1 HD DVR & 1 HD receiver.
A.K.A VOS

#1507 OFFLINE   bb37

bb37

Godfather

• Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:45 PM

add a H21/23/24 to your account.

VOS, I might do that and then try to sell, er, transfer the lease on the currently un-used R22.

Is your R22 an R22 (HD)?

Yes, it is. And it works perfectly for MRV with the HR21 over my wired home network.
Don't confuse the two.

#1508 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:49 PM

VOS, I might do that and then try to sell, er, transfer the lease on the currently un-used R22.

Yes, it is. And it works perfectly for MRV with the HR21 over my wired home network.

add it, get the install or unsupported home networking, and then "dump it".
The Beta program has a big "gotcha" for those with the R22s. It isn't fair, but it is still a problem.
A.K.A VOS

#1509 OFFLINE   Sherman67

Sherman67

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 04:56 PM

I assume it's easy to see the switch .. Are there connections to both of the SWiM outputs (#1 & #2)?

If so, each of these go to a splitter, yes?

How many receiver connections into each of the two splitters?

Problem fixed. He had the power (the stand alone swm8 module) connected to swm1/pwr. I switched it to the dc power connection and connected to splitters to the SWiM outputs. Also, he had 7 inputs in the 8-way splitter. I moved two to the second 8-way splitter.

#1510 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:09 PM

Is it working? If yes, don't screw with it.
Better yet, post some pics before you screw with it.

I just got an update on the one running @ 115. Today it's 133 :eek2:
SWM8s never got this warm [or mine sure never did].

Here's the PS29R0-03 Power Supply:
Posted Image Posted Image
The other end is just a 2-way splitter into the SWM1/PWR output on the SWiM-16

It was 'only' 113 degrees, but the ambient temperature is 61.

I'm not sure why the PWR input should work any different than SWM1/PWR, but if VOS verifies that it does, I wouldn't have a problem changing it. ;)

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#1511 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,191 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:09 PM

Problem fixed. He had the power (the stand alone swm8 module) connected to swm1/pwr. I switched it to the dc power connection and connected to splitters to the SWiM outputs. Also, he had 7 inputs in the 8-way splitter. I moved two to the second 8-way splitter.

Awesome! The forum comes through again.

#1512 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:14 PM

I'm not sure why the PWR input should work any different than SWM1/PWR, but if VOS verifies that it does, I wouldn't have a problem changing it. ;)

That supply has been out for a while. the SWiM16 & SWM8 seem to use the same one.
The temp changes weren't due to where the power was connected, and we're trying to get some info "from the boys" on the operating temp for the SWiM-16.
A.K.A VOS

#1513 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:23 PM

Yikes! :nono2:

#1514 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:24 PM

Know somebody with a handheld infrared temperature probe? If you have a friend in the HVAC or temperature controls business, they probably have one.

Just found one .. We've got one here at the office and I'm gonna borrow it for the night.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#1515 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:26 PM

You need at least two officially compatible devices .. If you only have an HR21 and two R22s .. you're going to have a problem getting DECAs and you are going to have a problem getting MRV turned on for home networking.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#1516 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:28 PM

ah, yes .. sounds like he overloaded (too many tuners) the SWiM-1 port. 4 DVRs max on each one as each output only support 8 tuners (totaling 16).

#1517 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:30 PM

help
I'm trying to order, but the CSR doesn't know where to look on her screens.

I'm trying to get the DECAs, not the ethernet.

Should I just hang up and try again?

#1518 ONLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:32 PM

Here's what two SWiM-16s would look like and a third should not be a problem:
http://www.dbstalk.c...70&d=1274032259
[ATTACH]22070[/ATTACH]

It will be nice to see if this works. I just wonder why it says in the connected home training guide posted over on directv.com forum that you are NOT to cascade the SWiM16 form the legacy ports to a secondary SWiM16 module and instead are recommend to use SWiM Expanders.
See Page 46 of the document.
Heres the link to where its posted http://forums.directv.com/...
Just change the file type to .pdf to read it.

#1519 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:38 PM

help
I'm trying to order, but the CSR doesn't know where to look on her screens.

I'm trying to get the DECAs, not the ethernet.

Should I just hang up and try again?

I think you want to ask for the whole home DVR service upgrade .. This should include equipment.

You need to make sure you already have HD Service, DVR Service & two compatible receivers (HR20 or higher DVR, H21 or higher receiver)

#1520 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:40 PM

It will be nice to see if this works. I just wonder why it says in the connected home training guide posted over on directv.com forum that you are NOT to cascade the SWiM16 form the legacy ports to a secondary SWiM16 module and instead are recommend to use SWiM Expanders.
See Page 46 of the document.
Heres the link to where its posted http://forums.directv.com/...
Just change the file type to .pdf to read it.

Beats me .. The SWiM-16 was designed specifically to be cascaded.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...