Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DECA question for new install

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kiljoy

kiljoy

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:42 PM

The day my parents have been dreading has finally arrived: Insight cable will be ending support for analog cable. My mom records (to VHS) an awful lot so moving to digital cable isn't really a good solution given that she needs at least four tuners and needs the ability to stream content between recording devices.

I've been with DirecTV for 13 years and currently have a pair of HR22s that I use for MRV and now I see that it is going out of beta and would suit their needs pretty well. My major concern is that they don't currently have nor do they have any need for an internet connection.

Is it possible to use DECA for multiple room viewing without a connection to the broader internet? Is this something an installer would do?

Tony

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:44 PM

Yes you can do MRV without internet connection.

#3 OFFLINE   kiljoy

kiljoy

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:53 PM

That's some good news right there. Now I guess I'll have to wait to see if HR24s are the standard units sent out for new installs in my area (or buy them off Solid Signal) and that will be where they go to.

Tony

#4 OFFLINE   drx792

drx792

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:00 PM

Unless you really want HR24s you might as well go with what DirecTV sends you for the install. They will provide external DECA adapters for your non-24 units so you can still use MRV.

#5 OFFLINE   kiljoy

kiljoy

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:38 AM

Unless you really want HR24s you might as well go with what DirecTV sends you for the install. They will provide external DECA adapters for your non-24 units so you can still use MRV.

She does want HR24s. Both my sister and I have complained about our HR22s slowness enough that she said she'd rather pay for 24s than roll the dice. I told her I'd see what were getting installs after it went national and if it wasn't 24s we'd go that route.

Tony

#6 OFFLINE   dminches

dminches

Godfather

• Registered
  • 412 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:41 AM

She does want HR24s. Both my sister and I have complained about our HR22s slowness enough that she said she'd rather pay for 24s than roll the dice. I told her I'd see what were getting installs after it went national and if it wasn't 24s we'd go that route.

Tony

As with any new piece of equipment, you may be trading one issue for another. I am sure there will be growing pains with the HR24s.

DirecTV subscriber since 1994
HR24-500 (2 TB eSata) -> Runco LS-5 vis HDMI
HR20-100s (2 TB eSata) -> Runco LS-5 vis HDMI
HR24-100 (1.5 TB eSata) -> Sony 50E2000 via HDMI
HR20-700 - owned (2 TB internal) -> Samsung LN32A550 via HDMI
HR20-100s - owned -> Sony Bravia 40"
HR20-100 - owned (2 TB internal)

spam firewall