Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How do I make the connection?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gsslug

gsslug

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:19 PM

I have two separate cable systems in my house. When the house was built the local cable company pre-installed coax cable for their system in all the houses in the development. I use this system to get internet access from them.

Also when the house was being built I had a separate coax system installed that ran two coax cables and a phone line to two rooms in the house where I knew my DTV DVRs would be placed. This system is connected to my DTV sat dish.

Now I would like to connect my DTV system to the internet. There is no ethernet cable where my DVRs are located and installing one is not practical.

Since I plan to have DTV install MVR capability once it becomes available in my area will they be able to connect my two coax systems to allow my HR-20 and HR-22 to connect to the internet for VOD and other internet based features? It's my understanding that the DECA system can access both DTV and the internet via one cable.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,499 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:42 PM

MRV will be easy using DECA, because the DVRs only need the satellite coax cables to network together. But internet access could be a bit tricky if you don't have a location with easy access for a DECA connection to your internet gateway/router. You might be able to use a Wireless Adapter or Powerline Networking to bridge an internet connection, but DirecTV probably won't install that for you.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,361 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:17 PM

One way or another, you're going to need a wire connecting the two systems. Whether you have a cable system coax in place to one of the rooms or have to run something determines which way you go. CAT5 is ultimately more flexible than RG6 if you have to run a new cable.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:21 PM

Now I would like to connect my DTV system to the internet. There is no ethernet cable where my DVRs are located and installing one is not practical.

Since I plan to have DTV install MVR capability once it becomes available in my area will they be able to connect my two coax systems to allow my HR-20 and HR-22 to connect to the internet for VOD and other internet based features? It's my understanding that the DECA system can access both DTV and the internet via one cable.

If you have an unused coax cable in the room with the router that also goes to the DirecTV coax junction, you can have a DECA device hooked to that to bridge your DirecTV/SWM/DECA network to your home network/Internet. If not, then you should really consider running either a coax or a CAT5 to get them together.

When you say "it's not practical", are you meaning "it isn't free"? If so, you may be right, but I would be very, very surprised if it isn't doable, and with a bit of work (or money), it can be done in an asthetically-pleasing way, too. But the reality is that Internet connectivity to ALL of your electronics is only going to get more and more important as time goes on.

I expect that 10 years from now, you will regularly be seeing home appliances (oven, washer/dryer, dishwasher, etc.) with networking capabilities. Home automation is slowly increasing, along with security/video systems, and all of it is becoming Internet-connected. You'll be watching streaming TV sooner or later, and you'll need Internet for that.

No sense in putting it off; if you have to invest a bit of time/money/work to get Internet to your main TV location, it will be a good investment that will pay off for a long time.

#5 OFFLINE   gsslug

gsslug

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:28 AM

There are two locations where the wires are within inches of each other. One is where the cable coax enters the house and the other is in the attic where the sat wires go to the different DVRs. Is there such a thing as a signal combiner that I could attach a coax coming from the dish and the cable coax and combine the signals?

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,361 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:54 AM

Is there such a thing as a signal combiner that I could attach a coax coming from the dish and the cable coax and combine the signals?

There was a time when one could use a device known as a diplexer to combine signals. That time has essentially passed given the respective usage of cables and DIRECTV's frequencies.

For the very diligent, it is still possible, but it requires lots of creativity (and expensive parts) and may not be compatible going forward.

Dedicated wires are the best (and often the cheapest) solution all the way around.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   Thaedron

Thaedron

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:06 AM

Depending on the type of "phone" cabling that was installed, that may support an ethernet connection. Phone line installation is optional (at least IMO).

If everything was done "right", you could simply use the "phone" wiring for your ethernet connectivity.
Main viewing system HR20-100 via SWM-8, using HDMI, networked, using DirecTV on Demand and MRV!
Samsung HLT-5689S | Oppo DV-981HD | Denon AVR-4306 | QNAP TS-219P NAS and Media Server

Full Setup

Proud supporter of the HR20 Wish List Survey

spam firewall