Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Q1 financials

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,946 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:16 AM

The Q1 results are up:

237,000 net additions (DIRECTV was 100,000) :)
$71.18 ARPU (DIRECTV $85.47) :)
1.40% Churn (DIRECTV 1.48%) :)
$741 SAC (DIRECTV $595) :(

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:33 AM

Legal expenses from a long-running patent dispute with TiVo Inc (TIVO.O) over digital video recording technology were $30.2 million in the quarter, compared with nil a year earlier.

From http://www.reuters.c...E6492MW20100510

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18,946 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:57 AM

Legal expenses from a long-running patent dispute with TiVo Inc (TIVO.O) over digital video recording technology were $30.2 million in the quarter, compared with nil a year earlier.

It would be interesting to compare how much licensing fees would have been.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:13 AM

Posted Image

Usually Q1 is the busiest time for everyone. Not so this year. The economy didn't help, but at least both companies are still seeing growth.

#5 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:27 PM

From http://www.reuters.c...E6492MW20100510

I still think Charlie should buy Tivo or license it.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,695 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:08 PM

Posted Image

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., May 10, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX News Network/ -- DISH Network Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH) today reported total revenue of $3.06 billion for the quarter ended March 31, 2010, a 5.2 percent increase compared with $2.91 billion for the corresponding period in 2009.

Net income attributable to common shareholders totaled $231 million for the quarter ended March 31, 2010, compared with $313 million during the corresponding period in 2009. Basic earnings per share were $0.52 for the quarter ended March 31, 2010, compared with basic earnings per share of $0.70 during the corresponding period in 2009.
DISH Network gained approximately 237,000 net subscribers during the quarter ended March 31, 2010, ending the quarter with approximately 14.337 million subscribers.

Detailed financial data and other information are available in DISH Network's Form 10-Q for the quarterly period ended March 31, 2010, filed today with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

About DISH Network
DISH Network L.L.C., a subsidiary of DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), provides more than 14.3 million satellite TV customers, as of March 31, 2010, with the highest quality programming and technology at the best value, including the lowest all-digital price nationwide. Customers have access to hundreds of video and audio channels, the most HD channels, the most international channels, state-of-the-art interactive TV applications, and award-winning HD and DVR technology including 1080p Video on Demand and the ViP 722 HD DVR, a CNET and PC Magazine "Editors' Choice." DISH Network Corporation is included in the Nasdaq-100 Index (NDX) and is a Fortune 250 company. Visit www.dish.com.

DISH Network will host its First Quarter 2010 financial results conference call today at noon ET. The dial-in number is (800) 616-6729.

SOURCE DISH Network Corporation
Copyright © 2010 PR Newswire. All rights reserved

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#7 OFFLINE   Bigg

Bigg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:49 PM

The Q1 results are up:

I assume SAC is Subscriber Acquisition Cost? What the heck is up with that?

Dish's DVR is two years old, DirecTV's is brand new. Dish's DVR serves two rooms in one shot, DirecTV needs two DVR's (although some cost is offset by customer fees). Dish has an easier time mounting dishes in the densely-populated (both people and trees) Northeast because of EA, they don't have all the expensive SWiM to deal with, nor Ka/Ku hybrid dishes. Plus, the DP dual-tuner diplexer thingies eliminate the need for new Coax just like DirecTV (at least on a house with halfway acceptable wiring already there). The need for OTA because of incomplete LIL's has nothing to do with this, since that's the customer's problem.

#8 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:41 PM

I assume SAC is Subscriber Acquisition Cost? What the heck is up with that?

Dish's DVR is two years old, DirecTV's is brand new.

The HR24 isn't reflected in Q1 numbers at all, and the 722k isn't 2 years old yet.

Dish's DVR serves two rooms in one shot, DirecTV needs two DVR's (although some cost is offset by customer fees).

True, but Dish's receivers are more expensive.

Dish has an easier time mounting dishes in the densely-populated (both people and trees) Northeast because of EA, they don't have all the expensive SWiM to deal with, nor Ka/Ku hybrid dishes.

DirecTV's dishes only need about 7 degrees of angle with the SL3, while a 1000.2 needs over 20, and a 1000.4 needs about 17. You can get a lot more customers with a narrower window. But none of that has anything to do with SAC. SWM gear is more expensive than legacy, but not likely more than a 1000.2/1000.4 LNB, and certainly not as expensive as, say, a DPP44.

Plus, the DP dual-tuner diplexer thingies eliminate the need for new Coax just like DirecTV (at least on a house with halfway acceptable wiring already there).

That's largely costs borne by the installers, not by DirecTV or Dish.

The need for OTA because of incomplete LIL's has nothing to do with this, since that's the customer's problem.

Again, most of this stuff doesn't have anything to do with SAC. SAC is:

- advertising
- equipment installed
- installation labor
- sales commissions
- discounts and incentives

Dish has been doing more (and better) advertising recently than they've done in the past, and their net subscriber numbers reflect that. But it isn't cheap. DirecTV has reduced their advertising and incentives, and their growth has slowed.

All this just shows that you've got to spend money to make money, though that isn't the only factor in the equation.

#9 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:08 PM

The Q1 results are up:

ARPU is a DIRECV win. Higher is better. (and a big win for DIRECTV.)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,895 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:34 PM

I can't remember a quarter where DirecTV didn't have a higher ARPU. Usually it is around $10 more than DISH. With the higher base cost of service and availability of more high priced sports packages it isn't surprising they are pulling in more revenue per subscriber.

The average net profit per subscriber would be a better comparison.

#11 OFFLINE   Bigg

Bigg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:36 PM

The HR24 isn't reflected in Q1 numbers at all, and the 722k isn't 2 years old yet.

True, but Dish's receivers are more expensive.

I'd doubt that the 722 is that expensive compared to two DirecTV boxes.

DirecTV's dishes only need about 7 degrees of angle with the SL3, while a 1000.2 needs over 20, and a 1000.4 needs about 17. You can get a lot more customers with a narrower window. But none of that has anything to do with SAC. SWM gear is more expensive than legacy, but not likely more than a 1000.2/1000.4 LNB, and certainly not as expensive as, say, a DPP44.

A SWiMLine SL5 ain't cheap. The consumer price of a SWiMLine 5 is $180, the consumer price of a 1000.4 is $90.

Wrong. In Hartford-New Haven, for example, our SD LIL's are on 119, which is 23.2 degrees above the horizon, and is spread 20 degrees horizontally from 99.

Dish's EA, OTOH, has Rainbow 1 at 61.5 providing LIL's, which is 40.9 degrees above the horizon, and that's the lowest point of the EA. 72.5 is 42.2 degrees above the horizon, the highest of any DBS service for this DMA. I know of someone who nLOS'ed a DirecTV install, and had no issue with Dish EA. EA is virtually flat 41 degrees up (slight skew to east), and covers 15.5 degrees.

It has to do with SAC when you're paying an installer to go out and install, and the install doesn't get done because there's nLOS, unless you throw that on the books somewhere else.

That's largely costs borne by the installers, not by DirecTV or Dish.

Again, most of this stuff doesn't have anything to do with SAC. SAC is:

- advertising
- equipment installed
- installation labor
- sales commissions
- discounts and incentives

Dish has been doing more (and better) advertising recently than they've done in the past, and their net subscriber numbers reflect that. But it isn't cheap. DirecTV has reduced their advertising and incentives, and their growth has slowed.

All this just shows that you've got to spend money to make money, though that isn't the only factor in the equation.

Ok, fair enough, advertising is part of it.

Cheers,
Tom

It's a different strategy. Dish probably has a lot of subs that wouldn't go to DirecTV if, in a hypothetical world, DirecTV was exactly the same as they are now, but Dish didn't exist.

#12 OFFLINE   jerrylove56

jerrylove56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:57 PM

It has been stated before that DirecTV has deliberately aimed its marketing and products toward high-end clientele. Average customers with SD sets don’t give a hoot about who has the best HD or 3D programs or gadgets. Instead they look for pricing. So there should be no surprise that Dish gained subscribers in this economy with their aggressive discounts.

I believe that Directs rush to get their 3D service up will not necessarily give them a large increase of subscribers. But I can smell a price/fee increase for 3D service which will become a revenue stream. Just like their MVR service fees.

#13 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:42 PM

I would just like to say that it is amazing that both Dish and Directv have added net subs in the competitive world that is now made up of Uverse, Fios, Hulu and cut-rate cableco promos. For all the argurments over which company is better, they both must be doing something right to increase the sub base.:)

#14 ONLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,479 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:59 PM

Well, it's an interesting quarter for Dish - higher new subscriber costs seems to correspond to more new subscribers for whatever that's worth.

Echostar Holding's quarterly shows a decent increase in revenue explained as follows:

“Equipment revenue — other” totaled $112 million during the three months ended March 31, 2010, an increase of $55 million or 96.3% compared to the same period in 2009. This change resulted primarily from a $28 million increase in sales to Bell TV and sales of $26 million to Dish Mexico. Although the number of units sold to Bell TV increased, the average revenue per unit to Bell TV decreased compared to the same period in 2009 due to a change in sales mix and as a result of the early 2009 amendment to our agreement with Bell TV, discussed below. The sales to Dish Mexico were in addition to the original commitment associated with our investment in Dish Mexico.

It would have been more informative about the industry if the Echostar/Dish split had not occurred, IMHO.

Both quarterlies contain the following information:

DISHOnline.com Services Agreement. Effective January 1, 2010, DISH Network entered into a two-year agreement with us pursuant to which DISH Network will receive certain services associated with an online video portal. The fees for the services provided under this services agreement depend, among other things, upon the cost to develop and operate such services. DISH Network has the option to renew this agreement for three successive one year terms and the agreement may be terminated for any reason upon 120 days written notice to us.

DISH Remote Access Services Agreement. Effective January 1, 2010, DISH Network entered into an agreement with us pursuant to which DISH Network will receive, among other things, certain remote DVR management services. The fees for the services provided under this services agreement depend, among other things, upon the cost to develop and operate such services. This agreement has a term of five years with automatic renewal for successive one year terms and may be terminated for any reason upon 120 days written notice to us.

SlingService Services Agreement. Effective February 23, 2010, DISH Network entered into an agreement with us pursuant to which DISH Network will receive certain place-shifting services. The fees for the services provided under this services agreement depend, among other things, upon the cost to develop and operate such services. This agreement has a term of five years with automatic renewal for successive one year terms and may be terminated for any reason upon 120 days written notice to us.

So now 922 users particularly know who where to direct their frustration.:sure:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#15 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:58 AM

http://news.yahoo.co...ns_dish_network

Interesting tidbit someone forwarded to me this morning.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#16 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:16 AM

I can't remember a quarter where DirecTV didn't have a higher ARPU. Usually it is around $10 more than DISH. With the higher base cost of service and availability of more high priced sports packages it isn't surprising they are pulling in more revenue per subscriber.

The average net profit per subscriber would be a better comparison.

Indeed, I agree. Sometimes Wall Street hangs on numbers that don't seem to be as telling.

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#17 ONLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,479 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:53 AM

http://news.yahoo.co...ns_dish_network

Interesting tidbit someone forwarded to me this morning.

You have to acknowledge Charlie's willingness to engage in battle. And after all that "Dish will turn off its DVRs" and "Dish profits drop" discussion in the article we have at the end of the article without comment or explanation:

Shares of Dish, which is based in the Englewood, Colo., rose 58 cents, or 2.7 percent, to $21.88.

Dish Network's latest results show that it is gaining some ground on its rivals.

:rolleyes:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#18 OFFLINE   ShapeShifter

ShapeShifter

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:07 PM

You have to acknowledge Charlie's willingness to engage in battle. And after all that "Dish will turn off its DVRs" and "Dish profits drop" discussion in the article we have at the end of the article without comment or explanation: :rolleyes:

Why should there be comments or explanation? It would appear that nobody likes good news, they only like to emphasize the negative.

AT250, Locals, Platinum HD
Dish 500 (110 & 119) plus wing dish (61.5)
Living room: ViP612 to Yamaha receiver and JVC 42" 1080i 16:9 plasma
Bedroom: ViP612 to JVC 32" 1080i 16:9 CRT
Motorhome: ViP722, to Sharp 32" 1080i 16:9 LCD (TV1) and SD 4:3 CRT (TV2)

#19 OFFLINE   jacmyoung

jacmyoung

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:52 PM

...The average net profit per subscriber would be a better comparison.

Or the net new sub addition per quarter, or the churn rate. DISH had a few very bad quarters in 2008 and part of 2009, they now are ahead of DirecTV by a big margin. When Charlie admitted back then he had lost his focus and would try to turn the tide of sub loss, I thought it was impossible given DirecTV's consistent performance at that time, but look what is happening now.

#20 OFFLINE   Bigg

Bigg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:13 AM

Dish benefited bigtime from DirecTV's price hiking. Dish is clearly cheaper than DirecTV, Comcast, or U-Verse.

Do we know what the saturation point for satellite is? At some point, there's only so many subs you are going to get. A large portion of the population lives in urban MDU's that don't have access to satellite, and with triple-play, cable is still competition.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...