Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Special MRV editions of SWS-2/4/8?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Satellite Samurai

Satellite Samurai

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:47 AM

I have been shopping around for the SWS splitters for the SWiM system. Some companies are selling a SWS-2MRV, and an SWS2, claiming them to be separate. I know the cutting edge team has experience with MRV. I was wondering if anyone could confirm that regular old SWS2 4 and 8 are MRV compatible.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:12 PM

I asked the same question for my SWS-8. It has a white label instead of a green label, I I think the consensus is that it is OK.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#3 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:14 PM

I have been shopping around for the SWS splitters for the SWiM system. Some companies are selling a SWS-2MRV, and an SWS2, claiming them to be separate. I know the cutting edge team has experience with MRV. I was wondering if anyone could confirm that regular old SWS2 4 and 8 are MRV compatible.

Thanks.

Think this comes down to a QC issue.
If your work is going to be inspected, go for the "green stickered" splitters.
If on the other hand, your question is there anything different performance wise with these splitters, then I'd have to say "no", since I'm using DECA/MRV and skywalker splitters, which aren't even on the approved list, yet work fine.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,070 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:19 PM

For my MRV upgrade, the installer used green label splitters. The model numbers are MSPLIT2R0-03, MSPLIT4R0-03, and MSPLIT8R0-03.

#5 OFFLINE   Satellite Samurai

Satellite Samurai

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:23 PM

Yeah my concern was really about would it work, and am I getting ripped off by someone selling me a special MRV edition splitter. Plus i knew someone here had experience. Thanks for the quick response.

#6 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:34 PM

Solid Signal is now showing separate MRV compatible splitters ...

http://www.solidsign...llite Splitters
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#7 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,945 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:46 PM

Solid Signal is now showing separate MRV compatible splitters ...

http://www.solidsign...llite Splitters

I suspect the only difference is the color of the sticker. My SWS4 works fine with MRV.

#8 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:47 PM

I suspect the only difference is the color of the sticker. My SWS4 works fine with MRV.

Mine too, but I wonder.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#9 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:52 PM

The green sticker on a SWM lnb only means that it won't need a filter connected to it because it has one built in. The only thing I can think of is so that there isn't confusion. I can't think of something a splitter could physically do that would impact MRV other than not passing a range of frequencies through and if I really the old splitters could pass those frequencies. 550 is the lowest for MOCA if I recall correctly.

#10 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:11 AM

The green sticker on a SWM lnb only means that it won't need a filter connected to it because it has one built in. The only thing I can think of is so that there isn't confusion. I can't think of something a splitter could physically do that would impact MRV other than not passing a range of frequencies through and if I really the old splitters could pass those frequencies. 550 is the lowest for MOCA if I recall correctly.

:nono:

Green stickers are there to show a component is "spec'd" [known] for DECA.
These are 475-625 MHz for the bandstop filters & splitters.
The specs for a splitter are:

• insertion loss [max value]
  • isolation between outputs [min value]
Since the isolation spec is a minimum value and the DECA signal may need to pass between two outputs, the maximum value [loss] between 475 & 625 MHz becomes very important for DECA.
The green sticker splitters may be no different than the other splitters, "but" are known to have the maximum isolation be close to [the same as] the minimum isolation in the 475-625 range.
"More isolation" is generally a good thing, but not for DECA.
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   Iwanthd

Iwanthd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:23 AM

I have 10 tuners and will request a Deca/MRV set up with a SWM16. I will have 2 SWS4 splitters at the dish/SWM location. On one of the runs, I will have to add an SWS2 downstream (70 ft.) to feed two DVR's (4 tuners). My questions are: 1. Will this work? and 2. How do I decide which line uses the power passing port on the SWS4 and the downstream SWS2?

#12 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,945 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:31 AM

I have 10 tuners and will request a Deca/MRV set up with a SWM16. I will have 2 SWS4 splitters at the dish/SWM location. On one of the runs, I will have to add an SWS2 downstream (70 ft.) to feed two DVR's (4 tuners). My questions are: 1. Will this work? and 2. How do I decide which line uses the power passing port on the SWS4 and the downstream SWS2?

1. Yes, it will work.
2. The power passing port only matters if you are feeding the power from the PI through the splitter (it must go through the red port).

#13 OFFLINE   Iwanthd

Iwanthd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:48 AM

Thanks Bob. Can I run the PI directly to the SWM16?

#14 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:55 AM

Thanks Bob. Can I run the PI directly to the SWM16?

the SWiM-16 has a separate power connector.
A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:15 AM

Yes it does, and that is what I use on mine for power.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#16 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:16 AM

Yes it does, and that is what I use on mine for power.

SHOWOFF :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#17 OFFLINE   Iwanthd

Iwanthd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:03 AM

So I can run a coax from the Power Supply to the DC pwr on the SWM16 and leave the out to ird port on the PI empty (or terminated)?

spam firewall