Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

directv HD DVR RECEIVER

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   raiderdude

raiderdude

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:53 PM

Would it be safe to buy a new in box hr22nc-100 from a private party? How would I know if its not stolen? Will it work ? I already have 1 HD Dvr and 3 other reg. HD receivers. My system is not connected to a phone line. Only through the dish.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:57 PM

You'd be best to not do this. It doesn't matter if it's stolen. If it is simply leased, which the vast majority of DVRs are, including I'm sure your own, it can't be transfered. It remains the property of DirecTV. You would be buying a brick.

The only DVRs that can be purchased second hand are those who have been sold to the consumer, not leased. Even then, I'd be careful. Many, many people think they own their DVRs when in fact they are leased.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#3 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,712 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:58 PM

Would it be safe to buy a new in box hr22nc-100 from a private party? How would I know if its not stolen? Will it work ? I already have 1 HD Dvr and 3 other reg. HD receivers. My system is not connected to a phone line. Only through the dish.

An equally, and more likely issue....is if the unit is leased...not owned (which is probable. Leased units are owned by DirecTV, and cannot be resold.

If you have the unit's serial number, you could call Customer Service at DirecTV and ask them if the unit is showing as a leased or owned unit. If it's leased, you're out of luck. If it's owned, you could request a new Access Card for it (likely for a small fee).
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#4 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:58 PM

Ask the seller for the receiver ID.

Call DIRECTV and tell them you are thinking about buying a receiver, and ask for the access card distribution team. If the CSR says they can help you and you don't need the card department, politely insist you do. Call back and get someone else if you have to.

Once you get to the access card department, tell them you are wanting to buy a receiver and would like to check the receiver ID.

It has to be owned, not leased.
It has to be turned off, not active on an account.
The account it is currently tied to must be in good standing and have a ZERO balance.

If any or all of the three requirements are not met, you will have wasted your money, as it will be worthless.

Again, make sure you talk to the card department. Ask them after the first CSR transfers you and they will confirm they are in the department.

After they confirm with you that all the requirements are met, specifically ask them to note your account that you called in, check the three things you need to check, the receiver ID, and that they told you there would be no problem adding the receiver as an OWNED receiver to your account.

You will be required to purchase a new access card for $20
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#5 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:00 PM

If is it new, in the box, the ACDT may tell you it has no history. If that is the case, it will be added as a leased receiver.

Based on my past experience, unless the price is really cheap, buying it either owned or a new lease is probably not worth the hassle.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#6 OFFLINE   raiderdude

raiderdude

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:18 PM

The lady in the card Dept. Said it may have been purchased from best buy or target to be a leased rec. I don't really understand that,nevertheless they did say i could buy it from the guy and save $150 and just give it back to them when I decided to end my directv subscription

#7 OFFLINE   johns70

johns70

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:22 PM

What ?

..leased but never registered DVR so I could legally purchase it....

If I ever decided I didn't want dtv anymore this new dvr would have to be returned to them.

It's as clear as mud now.

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,790 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:22 PM

If it's still in the box [unopened] then most likely it comes with a new access card, so it's ready to activate.
If you wanted to keep all your receivers, this one would cost another $5/month to add.
Yes, when you activate it the 2-year commitment starts.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,790 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:23 PM

What ?

..leased but never registered DVR so I could legally purchase it....

If I ever decided I didn't want dtv anymore this new dvr would have to be returned to them.

It's as clear as mud now.

A retailer's stock that was never sold [before this time] and comes with an unused access card.
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:50 PM

You're welcome.

That sounds like it was one from Best Buy or something like that. I see them pop up sometimes where people buy them from there, then something happens, and they never activate it. I don't know why they told you it costs more than $199 to lease a DVR, but I guess the extra 50 comes from them sending someone to install it or something? Either way, $100 for a brand new lease it decent.

Before you buy it, check your online account to see how much you could get one from there. If it says $199 like mine does, I say go for the one you found.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#11 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:15 PM

The only reason I could ever imagine getting a DirecTV receiver from a source OTHER than DirecTV would be:

1. To ensure a brand new unit of the model I wanted.

2. To avoid the 2 year commitment by purchasing an OWNED unit from a private party after verifying that it is indeed owned and not leased.

$100 is no deal in my opinion. When I asked about an HD upgrade last year, DirecTV quoted me $50 for an HD DVR, Slimline 5 dish, and new multiswitch which supports HD-and, installation of the above. Of course, this included a new 2 year commitment.

I decided to wait for the new DirecTiVo. And, of course, since a 2 year commitment was involved and I'd never been a DISH customer.... ;)

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#12 OFFLINE   mickcris

mickcris

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:11 PM

Ask the seller for the receiver ID.

Call DIRECTV and tell them you are thinking about buying a receiver, and ask for the access card distribution team. If the CSR says they can help you and you don't need the card department, politely insist you do. Call back and get someone else if you have to.

Once you get to the access card department, tell them you are wanting to buy a receiver and would like to check the receiver ID.

It has to be owned, not leased.
It has to be turned off, not active on an account.
The account it is currently tied to must be in good standing and have a ZERO balance.

If any or all of the three requirements are not met, you will have wasted your money, as it will be worthless.

Again, make sure you talk to the card department. Ask them after the first CSR transfers you and they will confirm they are in the department.

After they confirm with you that all the requirements are met, specifically ask them to note your account that you called in, check the three things you need to check, the receiver ID, and that they told you there would be no problem adding the receiver as an OWNED receiver to your account.

You will be required to purchase a new access card for $20

What happens if you buy one that is owned but still active on the seller's account? There was one on ebay i was looking at, and this is the status of the unit. I searched and could not find the answer (sorry to res-erect this old thread).

#13 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:14 PM

You will not be able to activate it until after the seller deactivates it.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#14 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:19 PM

Ask the seller to turn it off :)

Other than that, you might be able to turn it off yourself but us discussing how you might go about that probably isn't allowed. ;)
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#15 OFFLINE   mickcris

mickcris

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:20 PM

You will not be able to activate it until after the seller deactivates it.

thanks, so I guess I would be taking a chance as to the status of their account. If they owe money, would I not be able to activate it either?

#16 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:22 PM

They can owe money, but the account has to be in good standing. When your bill comes every month, you owe money, it is the "in collections" status that causes trouble according to ACDT, last time I checked, and the ZERO balance is on closed accounts.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#17 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:22 PM

Follow my directions posted above and you won't have issues. Check the three things, and if all three don't apply, don't buy it.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#18 OFFLINE   mickcris

mickcris

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:25 PM

Thanks guys, so I guess I would be taking a chance if their account is in good standing. I will probably pass on this one and wait for one that is owned but no longer active.

Follow my directions posted above and you won't have issues. Check the three things, and if all three don't apply, don't buy it.

I will follow your advice, thanks again.:)

#19 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:29 PM

One will come along that is just right for you. Check ebay often, I have bought them nice and cheap just by watching closely.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

Protected By... spam firewall...And...