Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DECA Adapters available online

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   cnmurray8

cnmurray8

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:28 PM

You would only need one bandstop filter for your older SWM.

Thank you so 4 deca adapters and 1 band stop filter. I already have an extra P21.

about $165.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:30 PM

Thank you so 4 deca adapters and 1 band stop filter. I already have an extra P21.

about $165.

You're right at the break even point of the DirecTV upgrade:
$99 + $49 service call, for everything with no commitment extension.
A.K.A VOS

#23 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:31 PM

about $165.

$148 (or less) with DIRECTV and they set it up for you ...
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#24 OFFLINE   cnmurray8

cnmurray8

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:38 PM

Thank you everyone for your help. I have always done all of my own installs it is kind of a hobby. So I will wait and make sure that Directv will allow MRV to be activated without a truck roll then I may do it myself.

#25 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:49 PM

You're right at the break even point of the DirecTV upgrade:
$99 + $49 service call, for everything with no commitment extension.

Sorry if this has been officially noted earlier and I'm not up to date but is it confirmed that the DirecTV MRV upgrade offer for $148.00 does not involve a recommitment?

#26 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:53 PM

The number of bandstop filter for receivers depends on:
any receiver without a DECA,
The HR20-100, since the DECA requires a special setup with a splitter to power the DECA off the SAT #2.

So if we already have DECA, from the trials, and we throw a filter on output 2 could we then start using output 2 on the SWM8 as part of the same DECA Cloud as output 1?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#27 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:55 PM

Sorry if this has been officially noted earlier and I'm not up to date but is it confirmed that the DirecTV MRV upgrade offer for $148.00 does not involve a recommitment?

From those running the program:
Swapping out a receiver [to be compatible with SWiM] will trigger the commitment.
If no receivers need to be swapped, there is no commitment related to DECA/MRV upgrade.
A.K.A VOS

#28 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:56 PM

The number of bandstop filter for receivers depends on:
any receiver without a DECA,
The HR20-100, since the DECA requires a special setup with a splitter to power the DECA off the SAT #2.

VOS I thought you posted on another thread earlier with illustration that the HR20-100 really does not require a DECA filter, but was only needed because of the official DirecTV installers' "dumb idea" (your words at the time) hookup method for it?

#29 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:59 PM

So if we already have DECA, from the trials, and we throw a filter on output 2 could we then start using output 2 on the SWM8 as part of the same DECA Cloud as output 1?

:confused:
Not quite sure what your question is "but" if you use a bandstop filter for/on the SWM8, then any cloud connected to the filter, stops at the filter.
SWM8's with the green stickers, don't need bandstop filters [they've been included internally] and both SWM outputs share the DECA cloud.
A.K.A VOS

#30 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:05 PM

:confused:
Not quite sure what your question is "but" if you use a bandstop filter for/on the SWM8, then any cloud connected to the filter, stops at the filter.
SWM8's with the green stickers, don't need bandstop filters [they've been included internally] and both SWM outputs share the DECA cloud.

I'm basically trying to figure out what it would take to get output 2 on an SWM 8, without a green sticker, to work with the DECA if output 1 already has a bandstop filter on it that then goes to 3 DECA units. Is it as simple as putting a bandstop filter on output 2 like there is on output 1? I know I can put a bandstop filter right at the SWM then a splitter to basically have 2 outputs, negating SWM #2, but I'd rather not do that if it is possible.

And then it would be nice if we could figure out how to bridge the cloud across 2 SWM 8's. :lol:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#31 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:11 PM

VOS I thought you posted on another thread earlier with illustration that the HR20-100 really does not require a DECA filter, but was only needed because of the official DirecTV installers' "dumb idea" (your words at the time) hookup method for it?

Well.....
DirecTV have changed [revised] their layout for the HR20-100.
I might even expect this to happen again as I'm not sure:

• why their first setup didn't work
  • what makes their second setup work any different
  • that there isn't another problem with "some" HR20-100s, where the issues that they're having is really related to the SAT signal coming in both SAT inputs and these are combining within the receiver to cause the problems they are having.
If this worked "as it should", then no filter should be needed if the splitter was between the SAT inputs and the DECA, since this mimics all other DECA installs for other receivers. DirecTV wasn't able to turn on the DC for SAT 1 on the HR20-100, when in SWiM mode, like they've been able to do with all the other receivers.
This means SAT #2, which they did get DC out, needs to be used to power the DECA.
Since SAT 1 & 2 combine internally to feed the two tuners, "there could be" a problem where both SAT inputs also combine, but this wouldn't be known/an issue until using #2 to power the DECA.
Not all -100s have had this problem and during the test group phase, we didn't even have filters for them.
Now they seem to be chasing a problem out of the field that some installers are resolving by swapping out the -100.
A.K.A VOS

#32 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:15 PM

Geez, I am gone from the boards for 3 hours and this happens, :grin:

Good news all around. Remember we have to remind people that these things could fry and egg they're so toasty hot!

Looking forward to getting a few more of these, when I need them (in the near future) and that SWM 16!!!!! Can't wait. Now what to get, Plasma, LCD, LED, Front projector! Thanks guys!
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

#33 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:18 PM

I'm basically trying to figure out what it would take to get output 2 on an SWM 8, without a green sticker, to work with the DECA if output 1 already has a bandstop filter on it that then goes to 3 DECA units. Is it as simple as putting a bandstop filter on output 2 like there is on output 1? I know I can put a bandstop filter right at the SWM then a splitter to basically have 2 outputs, negating SWM #2, but I'd rather not do that if it is possible.

And then it would be nice if we could figure out how to bridge the cloud across 2 SWM 8's. :lol:

Maybe understanding:
The bandstop on the SWiM, it ti stop the high level DECA signal from interacting with the SWiM.
Unless this filter is moved closer to the SWiM [internally] to the point that it's before the internal 2-way splitter that feeds outputs 1 & 2, the filter will stop the cloud.
The green sticker units have had this change. Unless you want to do some major surgery on your SWM8, you're SOL.
In your case, the SWiM-16 is what you want/need.
A.K.A VOS

#34 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:21 PM

Maybe understanding:
The bandstop on the SWiM, it ti stop the high level DECA signal from interacting with the SWiM.
Unless this filter is moved closer to the SWiM [internally] to the point that it's before the internal 2-way splitter that feeds outputs 1 & 2, the filter will stop the cloud.
The green sticker units have had this change. Unless you want to do some major surgery on your SWM8, you're SOL.
In your case, the SWiM-16 is what you want/need.

That's what I figured.

Yeah, I know I need a SWM 16 but being unemployed doesn't allow for a $200+ multiswitch at this time. :(

I'll go with the "Output 1 > Filter > Splitter" method for now and just use Ethernet for the units on my second SWM 8.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#35 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:30 PM

That's what I figured.

Yeah, I know I need a SWM 16 but being unemployed doesn't allow for a $200+ multiswitch at this time. :(

I'll go with the "Output 1 > Filter > Splitter" method for now and just use Ethernet for the units on my second SWM 8.

The only other option would be to go with "no filter" and then see if you had any problems with your SAT signals. During testing we ran these without filters and "I didn't see any problems".
A.K.A VOS

#36 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:35 PM

You can now purchase DECA dongles on solidsignal. If your DECA network (on your first SWM8) is also tied into your ethernet network you could purchase a single DECA dongle and "tie in" the second SWM8. There are actually a few different scenarios that will work, but I'm not sure what equipment you currently have and what you're ultimately looking to do.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#37 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:35 PM

The only other option would be to go with "no filter" and then see if you had any problems with your SAT signals. During testing we ran these without filters and "I didn't see any problems".

I remember you doing that during testing. I may give that a shot tomorrow.

It's not a huge deal really but I ran coax to my "office" today and fed it using output 2 on the SWM 8 that has DECA on output 1 and was hoping to move the DECA unit hooked into my network switch, in the Living Room, into my Office so it could be hooked directly into an output on my router. [Yeah, I know it won't make a difference but it will "tidy up" my wiring in the Living Room]
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#38 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:37 PM

You can now purchase DECA dongles on solidsignal. If your DECA network (on your first SWM8) is also tied into your ethernet network you could purchase a single DECA dongle and "tie in" the second SWM8. There are actually a few different scenarios that will work, but I'm not sure what equipment you currently have and what you're ultimately looking to do.

Yeah, I'm aware of that method since I was one of the lucky few that got to test DECA. That however would require a DECA module just for the other SWM 8 to hook into my network. I was just wondering if the Genius, VOS, knew of a way to bridge DECA across 2 SWM 8's. :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#39 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:38 PM

Yeah, I'm aware of that method since I was one of the lucky few that got to test DECA. That however would require a DECA module just for the other SWM 8 to hook into my network. I was just wondering if the Genius, VOS, knew of a way to bridge DECA across 2 SWM 8's. :)

read your PM ;)
A.K.A VOS

#40 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,111 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:41 PM

I have a SWM5 (with no green sticker nor a bandstop filter) and DECA networking works fine between the SWM 1 and SWM 2 ports (filters were not supplied as part of the H24/HR24 field test). If I added a filter I would have to use a splitter to feed the two rooms, which I was prepared to do but if it ain't broke, I see no reason to fix it (plus filters weren't available to order until now).

I ordered a DECA from Solid Signal today so I can move my HR21 back to the bedroom in place of the H24. I have my H24 there now and MRV is working fine, but I miss the ability to pause and rewind live programs.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...