Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DECA Adapters available online

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,386 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:58 PM

I did a DIY SWMline (and soon DIY SWM16) What does it get me if they recognize it? :confused:

Long ago in a world far far away....
I had a SWMLNB through the test group and had a tech out who didn't know/bring the needed hardware.
Later I had some engineers out and they told me I'd just upgraded to SWM. I explained I hadn't, but it seemed my account had recently been changed to reflect it.
It's always better to have your account show your system type/features.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:00 PM

I did a DIY SWMline (and soon DIY SWM16) What does it get me if they recognize it? :confused:

Since you don't have any SD receivers, probably nothing. If you did, it would ensure you got a SWM-capable receiver if you needed a replacement (all the mpeg4 HD receivers are SWM-capable).

It also avoids confusion when you call for some kind of upgrade. CSRs don't make decisions... they input what you're trying to do, and a computer generates a workorder based on what it thinks you have.

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#63 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:25 PM

If you let DIRECTV do the install, they will make sure you are 'green labeled' with qualifying equipment. But you may be happy going either way on this.

... they might even want to replace the SWM8 with a SWM LNB).

My biggest fear with letting DIRECTV do the install is that I DON'T want the SWM8 replaced with an SWM LNB. It gives me future expansion capability beyond 8 tuners if I need it, and I also would rather a Slimline5 than the Slimline3 I may get in case I ever want programming that comes off of 110 or 119 (don't some of the SonicTap stations come off those birds?) Though I guess if they gave me a SWM LNB I could keep the old Slimline 5 LNB and SWM8 in case I wanted it in the future.

#64 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:28 PM

My biggest fear with letting DIRECTV do the install is that I DON'T want the SWM8 replaced with an SWM LNB. It gives me future expansion capability beyond 8 tuners if I need it, and I also would rather a Slimline5 than the Slimline3 I may get in case I ever want programming that comes off of 110 or 119 (don't some of the SonicTap stations come off those birds?) Though I guess if they gave me a SWM LNB I could keep the old Slimline 5 LNB and SWM8 in case I wanted it in the future.

Agree. Slimline5 and external SWM(s) is perfect.

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

DirecTV HD Channel Listing - 2011 DBSTalk HD Poll - 2010 DBSTalk HD Poll - Satellite & National HD Alerts

#65 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,784 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:30 PM

My biggest fear with letting DIRECTV do the install is that I DON'T want the SWM8 replaced with an SWM LNB. It gives me future expansion capability beyond 8 tuners if I need it, and I also would rather a Slimline5 than the Slimline3 I may get in case I ever want programming that comes off of 110 or 119 (don't some of the SonicTap stations come off those birds?) Though I guess if they gave me a Slimline3 SWM LNB I could keep the old Slimline 5 LNB and SWM8 in case I wanted it in the future.

So order the DECA install and if the installer wants to swap out your SWiM8 and replace your LNB just cancel the work. Also, if you did let them do their thing and they replaced your SWiM8 and LNB if you needed ordered then 8 tuners from DirecTV or ordered a package that needed 110 and/or 119 then they would come out and install whatever was necessary to get the service you ordered or install the hardware.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#66 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,030 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:51 AM

(5) HR2x DECA adapters x $40 = $200
(1) SWM16 x $349 = $349
(1) PI x $18.89 = $18.89

I'm up to already $560 for a DIY project if I go through Solid Signal.

makes me glad that I spent the $60 on a 1000 feet of CAT6 on eBay last year and spent a couple of weekends fishing walls, etc.. My total cost in the end (connectors, wire, wall plates, patch cables, etc) was under $200. A far cry from the $600+ I would need to spend for DECA (through Solid Signal)

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q2 2014 Set-Up

#67 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,526 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:27 AM

makes me glad that I spent the $60 on a 1000 feet of CAT6 on eBay last year and spent a couple of weekends fishing walls, etc.. My total cost in the end (connectors, wire, wall plates, patch cables, etc) was under $200. A far cry from the $600+ I would need to spend for DECA (through Solid Signal)

Or better yet...

...follow the direction that Doug Brott and others have been saying for months now, and accept the $99 + $49 equipment and install offered from DirecTV themselves. Much less expensive and easy.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#68 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,775 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:36 AM

Also will need some Band Stop Filters for the HR20-100s or non-DECA receivers:
http://www.solidsign...Components&sku=

I'm confused ..... Why not for HR20-700's ?

#69 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,386 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:04 AM

I'm confused ..... Why not for HR20-700's ?

There is a difference between the HR20-700 & -100.
The -100 needs a different connection setup to power the DECA [splitter, connected to SAT #2, & the bandstop filter].
All the other receivers only use SAT #1.
A.K.A VOS

#70 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,915 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:56 AM

I ordered a DECA from Solid Signal on Monday. The website says "usually ships same day", but my order still shows up as "in process". Hopefully it will ship soon.

Edit: I got a confirmation email this afternoon saying it had been shipped Tuesday from Ontario, CA and would arrive tomorrow. :)

Edited by bobnielsen, 13 May 2010 - 07:10 PM.

#71 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,226 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:49 PM

I ordered a DECA from Solid Signal on Monday. The website says "usually ships same day", but my order still shows up as "in process". Hopefully it will ship soon.

Edit: I got a confirmation email this afternoon saying it had been shipped Tuesday from Ontario, CA and would arrive tomorrow. :)

Ah man!

I ordered mine on Yesterday (5-12) and they shipped out today from Michigan. They won't arrive until the 19th. :(

Too bad they couldn't have come from California like yours. Ah well, I got something exciting to look forward to next week!

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#72 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 12:55 AM

Sorry if this has been officially noted earlier and I'm not up to date but is it confirmed that the DirecTV MRV upgrade offer for $148.00 does not involve a recommitment?

I was told I would have an additional commitment, but to me it really doesn't matter. The only alternative I have where I live is Dish. Since Dish doesn't have locals in HD, it is not really practical for me. Another thing is that I recently upgraded an SD dvr to another HD dvr so an extension would only mean another two weeks beyond the last extension.
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

#73 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:17 AM

Ah man!

I ordered mine on Yesterday (5-12) and they shipped out today from Michigan. They won't arrive until the 19th. :(

Too bad they couldn't have come from California like yours. Ah well, I got something exciting to look forward to next week!

Strange, since mine was actually routed through Portland to Seattle and then Bremerton.:confused:

It's on the delivery truck now!

My kitchen faucet broke a month ago and I ordered a replacement part and got a 5-7 day delivery estimate. I paid extra (more than the part cost) for overnight delivery and it came from WA (the company is located in the Midwest, I think). The UPS status showed it on the truck the next day but then it returned to the Seattle depot, shipped from there to Bremerton and was delivered the following day. :(

#74 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,226 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 14 May 2010 - 01:13 PM

Strange, since mine was actually routed through Portland to Seattle and then Bremerton.:confused:

It's on the delivery truck now!

The truck drove right through my town... Too bad it couldn't have stopped by my place 1st... You could have waited another week right? :P

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#75 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 01:24 PM

The truck drove right through my town... Too bad it couldn't have stopped by my place 1st... You could have waited another week right? :P

I ordered mine earlier than you did and perhaps their Ontario warehouse ran out.

It just arrived and took all of a minute to install (no need to turn off the HR21). It is the model with the green label.

spam firewall