Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Press Release: DISH Network 1st TV Provider to Launch All 3 Univision Networks in HD

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 618 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:26 AM

I wonder what kind of chance we have in getting Univision TV monopoly to add a SAP, to there broadcasts?

I would suspect that might come in time. The current generation of Latinos watch more mainstream American television, than the Spanish language channels. So, you will see a shift on the Spanish language channels to be more cultural oriented, but in English with Spanish SAP. Broadcasters like Univision are already preparing for this demographic "shift", because they know that younger Latinos do not use Spanish as their primary language. And the Spanish channels, like their English counterparts, value that under age 50 demographic.

Providing English SAP may not be cost effective for them, because it would be short term. Too bad, because Telefutura does run a number of movies (originally in English) in Spanish. And of course having commentators who know soccer is certainly a plus, if their commentary was translated to English. Finally, there are some other good shows, and newscasts on these channels, but for a non-Spanish speaker they are difficult to watch. In Denver, we have four, soon five, Spanish channels. When you think that Denver has seven "mainstream" English channels (I am excluding ION, infomercial and religious channels), you can see how big television directed towards Latinos is in this part of the country.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dbspr

dbspr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:02 AM

When you think that Denver has seven "mainstream" English channels (I am excluding ION, infomercial and religious channels), you can see how big television directed towards Latinos is in this part of the country.

what channels?

#23 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,758 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:42 AM

Providing English SAP may not be cost effective for them, because it would be short term. Too bad, because Telefutura does run a number of movies (originally in English) in Spanish. And of course having commentators who know soccer is certainly a plus, if their commentary was translated to English.

Translating commentary might be cost effective ... but providing SAP needs to be a nearly all or nothing proposition. There is a chain involved. That chain starts with the program production and runs through the distribution system. On a broadcast station that chain runs through to their encoders to people's home. For satellite carriage DISH would have to complete that chain from OTA reception to the receiver. It is an investment for all the parties involved to build and maintain this chain.

Then decide what to put there. Movies with an English dub could be fed the same way movies with a Spanish dub are fed on "English" channels. But if the content with SAP is occasional or rare is it worth maintaining the chain?

As for the "translating" ... I'm picturing a UN style overdub of English where someone just repeats what they heard in a different language. It would be better to have qualified broadcasters doing an entirely separate commentary. When SAP is done on NBC sports I believe they have separate commentators from Telemundo working independently. When ESPN content is available simulcast on ESPN Desportes I believe they do the same. Not a dub of what someone else said but a separate commentary. (This may vary by sport.)

#24 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,415 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:39 PM

When all else fails, there's always this option::grin:

Posted Image

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#25 OFFLINE   Hunter844

Hunter844

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:49 PM

Arguing over 3 ******** HD channels for which there only redeemable quality is the hot wimmins on it. :P

#26 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,758 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:38 PM

For those keeping track ... Galavision is now available on DISH (as of 3:11pm ET)!

Channel 273 / 9528 for English package subscribers (AT200 and above).
Channel 833 / 5349 for Latino package subscribers.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...