Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Press Release - DISH Statement on passage of Satellite Tv Extension & Localism Act

slimline

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,041 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:59 AM

DISH Network Statement on passage of SATELLITE TELEVISION EXTENSION AND LOCALISM ACT OF 2010

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., May 12, 2010 – DISH Network L.L.C. issued the following statement today about the passage of the Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act of 2010:
"DISH Network congratulates Congress on passing the landmark Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act of 2010 (STELA), clearing the way for DISH Network to become the first pay-TV provider to make local broadcast stations available in every television market in the United States."

###

About DISH Network
DISH Network L.L.C., a subsidiary of DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), provides more than 14.3 million satellite TV customers, as of March 31, 2010, with the highest quality programming and technology at the best value, including the lowest all-digital price nationwide. Customers have access to hundreds of video and audio channels, the most HD channels, the most international channels, state-of-the-art interactive TV applications, and award-winning HD and DVR technology including 1080p Video on Demand and the ViP® 722 HD DVR, a CNET and PC Magazine “Editors’ Choice.” DISH Network Corporation is included in the Nasdaq-100 Index (NDX) and is a Fortune 200 company. Visit www.dish.com, follow on Twitter, @dishnetwork (www.twitter.com/dishnetwork), or become a Fan on Facebook, www.facebook.com/dishnetwork.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,548 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:03 AM

Dish's biggest gain here is that this bill provides a mechanism for relief from the injunction against it offering distant signals in areas where there is a significantly viewed signal of a station located outside of the local market. So Dish may be able to offer all major networks in DMA's where one or more networks are not available locally.

And frankly I don't really understand the impact of the provision that relates to PBS even though I read it over several times.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 692 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:23 PM

Dish's biggest gain here is that this bill provides a mechanism for relief from the injunction against it offering distant signals in areas where there is a significantly viewed signal of a station located outside of the local market. So Dish may be able to offer all major networks in DMA's where one or more networks are not available locally.

And frankly I don't really understand the impact of the provision that relates to PBS even though I read it over several times.

So, I guess if I want them, I can ask for Cheyenne locals. I guess more people in Cheyenne may be able to get Denver locals, like they used to.

As for PBS, this is still a sore sticking point. If DISH is going to drag its feet on PBS, then they should end the "center cut" practice. PBS station requesting it or not, this practices makes watching 16x9 programming on PBS difficult to watch.

and if DISH decides to add PBS stations, they should start adding larger markets than PBS stations in places like Missoula, Montana.

#4 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:27 PM

So, I guess if I want them, I can ask for Cheyenne locals. I guess more people in Cheyenne may be able to get Denver locals, like they used to.

As for PBS, this is still a sore sticking point. If DISH is going to drag its feet on PBS, then they should end the "center cut" practice. PBS station requesting it or not, this practices makes watching 16x9 programming on PBS difficult to watch.

and if DISH decides to add PBS stations, they should start adding larger markets than PBS stations in places like Missoula, Montana.

Hey now, Missoula is bigger than Cheyenne, and is the home of some GREAT Brewery's, so give them a break, if Dish give them PBS early.

#5 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,548 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:29 PM

Probably. Soon.

There are some bureaucratic hoops Dish must jump through.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#6 OFFLINE   HarveyLA

HarveyLA

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:53 PM

Have you located the final text of the bill as passed? The earlier draft said Dish must provide 50% of noncommercial local markets in HD by the end of this year and the rest by the end of next year. However, if Dish strikes an agreement with the noncoms within (I think it was 90 days but not sure) following passage of the Satellite act, it would take precedence. This encourages an agreement with the public tv stations. Negotiations have been ongoing for several years without agreement. I have a hunch that passage of the satellite act and the new Dish satellite will speed the way to a resolution, provided that this language in the bill is still intact. Just a hunch.

#7 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:58 PM

Have you located the final text of the bill as passed? The earlier draft said Dish must provide 50% of noncommercial local markets in HD by the end of this year and the rest by the end of next year. However, if Dish strikes an agreement with the noncoms within (I think it was 90 days but not sure) following passage of the Satellite act, it would take precedence. This encourages an agreement with the public tv stations. Negotiations have been ongoing for several years without agreement. I have a hunch that passage of the satellite act and the new Dish satellite will speed the way to a resolution, provided that this language in the bill is still intact. Just a hunch.

http://www.govtrack....?bill=h111-4213
Open the full text and read Section V

#8 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:15 PM

Probably. Soon.

You used "bureaucratic hoops" and "soon" in the same post. :lol:
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,250 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:36 PM

The first hoop would be to have the President sign the bill into law. The rest will come after that.

#10 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:27 PM

does this act apply to both sat companies or just dish? if i understand this correctly this could be big for both companies right?

My setup: HR 44, HR34, 2x HR 24, 2x HR 23-700, 4x C31's, Nomad...

#11 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:07 PM

This does not mean that they will be the first pay tv provider to offer all DMA's. It means they would have a chance to be the first to. No reason D* cant do it and be the first to do it at that.

#12 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:20 PM

This does not mean that they will be the first pay tv provider to offer all DMA's. It means they would have a chance to be the first to. No reason D* cant do it and be the first to do it at that.

thanks for the info, i kinda figured that but the release is obviously dish's so there ya go...

#13 OFFLINE   ehren

ehren

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:29 PM

So if my cable company offers Madison WI and Rockford IL I am only able to get Madison on Dish, I can get Rockford as well? Cable only has Rockford in SD.

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,250 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:51 PM

They are the first to make the commitment to do so. If D* wanted to be first they wouldn't have been lagging behind DISH in LIL coverage forever. (D* has done a decent job on HD market coverage, but basic SD LIL has had DISH in leadership since before I've been tracking it.)

#15 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:01 PM

They are the first to make the commitment to do so. If D* wanted to be first they wouldn't have been lagging behind DISH in LIL coverage forever. (D* has done a decent job on HD market coverage, but basic SD LIL has had DISH in leadership since before I've been tracking it.)

Yea as much as i love hd i think having the channel is more important that waiting for it so it can come out in both hd and sd. Im not a dish subscriber but i think i would be if i couldnt get locals at all with d*

#16 OFFLINE   chouseman

chouseman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:06 PM

Given their statement "become the first pay-TV provider to make local broadcast stations available in every television market in the United States", I wouldn't expect DTV to take that lying down. Is it a horse race now between the two to make this happen? In my area neither of them can offer all locals - some locals won't approve distant waivers, and Dish can't carry any locals at all. How long before this makes a difference down here on the ground?

#17 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:33 PM

Keep in mind with D12 D* has the ability to add more spotbeams for LIL markets. Also they appear to be fixing another sat already up there to be able to offer even more LIL markets. I dont think its a coincidence. Not saying D* will be first or have them all but they probably could. E* aint dont nothing yet other then say what they are gonna do and also inflate their HD channel count. Seeing is believing. I will believe it all when I see it.

#18 OFFLINE   Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:38 PM

So if my cable company offers Madison WI and Rockford IL I am only able to get Madison on Dish, I can get Rockford as well? Cable only has Rockford in SD.

You would only be able to receive Rockford stations on satellite if you live in Rock or Green Counties, since the Rockford stations are on the "significantly-viewed" list for those counties (though WQRF-FOX is not on the SV list for Green County).

However, the more important thing to know is that DISH does not have to offer the signficantly-viewed stations, it's only an option. They'd probably be more likely to add them if subscribers call and ask for them.

The bill basically does three things for DISH:
-Allows them to import out-of-market affiliates into the small markets that are missing some of the networks
-Allows them to offer out-of-market service to people who qualify for the service based on low signal strength or waivers
-Allows them to offer significantly-viewed stations from adjacent markets

#19 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,250 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:42 PM

E* aint dont nothing yet other then say what they are gonna do ... Seeing is believing. I will believe it all when I see it.

No problem. The satellite that will help DISH make this happen will be in place in the next couple of days. DISH has been working on this for a while. They didn't just wake up this morning and say "oh, let's cover all markets". It is all part of their master plan.

#20 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:47 PM

No problem. The satellite that will help DISH make this happen will be in place in the next couple of days. DISH has been working on this for a while. They didn't just wake up this morning and say "oh, let's cover all markets". It is all part of their master plan.

Not to make this a battle thread but i heard a rumor D* has plans to have 100% coverage of locas by the end of the year. that being said if they are able to give out waivers more easily now wouldnt either of them be able to get any one locals of some form now?

also from the spot beam maps ive seen it seems like the us is covered more than sufficiently by either company. Basically what im getting at would be for example giving people far sepertated from bigger cities locals out of that market to give them some form of locals even if they arent truely local?

just a question due to my lack of understanding, love some clarification on the matter james if you could. hope my question isnt too vague. thanks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: slimline

Protected By... spam firewall...And...