Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dish thanks Congress for passing STELA

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:19 PM

I realize that AAD can continue to operate, but I wonder how likely that is if Dish does resume offering distants. I know that the contract between Dish and AAD said that Dish could resume offering significantly viewed stations at any time if Dish regained the legal ability to do so. However, it is still unclear how/when/if Dish will resume offering distants.

If Dish does resume distants, they have spotbeams that have coverage areas that will allow distants from neighboring markets to be offered. An example would be the Santa Barbara ABC affiliate being offered in Monterey-Salinas, since those markets share the same spotbeam. However, I would expect that Dish would want to launch SF and NY SD on conus, and LA and Chicago HD on conus so that they could offer the same service as AAD. This would preserve continuity for the AAD customers. It is also necessary to have an east and a west big four uplinked in both SD and HD if Dish wants to accommodate recreational vehicle customers.

Does anyone else have an opinion?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,293 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 12:21 AM

Dish has a few months of work to do before approaching the court and asking for the waiver so they can deliver distants again. With this week's uplink changes 206 markets are represented ... the local channels actually in the new markets need to be uplinked (we will probably see them enter test mode next week). DISH will move fast but they can't approach the court until they provide local service in ALL local markets.

Then they wait for the judge to act ... and even though the law says the court SHALL issue the temporary waiver (for 120 days) the waiver isn't issued until the judge issues it. DISH can start providing distants as soon as the temporary waiver is issued.

I don't expect DISH to offer national distants other than to RVers. I believe we will find their future distant service offering to be limited and regional. Yes, having channels on ConUS for RVers would make it possible to deliver those channels to any subscriber ... but I expect DISH to include distants as fill in locals in short markets (where needed) instead of as a la carte channels. It is easy to manage the sales of a package of 8 (or 16 with HD) channels to RVers for $5-$10. Dealing with individual channels for $2-$4 each gets more complicated (and expensive for the customer).

And of course none of this affects AAD except the decreased need for their service. They are still selling distants via C Band the last time I checked. I expect they will continue to sell distants via leased space on DISH's satellites as long as they are able to afford to do so. (At their prices and with DISH providing SVs and regional distants as part of people's normal programming packages I don't see AAD retaining or obtaining enough customers to afford the space. But it is possible.)

#23 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 12:30 AM

I understand that this is what you expect. But do you have some source at Dish telling you this, or on what do you base your expectations?

For example, in Monterey-Salinas market, it appears that Dish wants to offer ABC from Santa Barbara, about 200 miles away and a very small market. About 90 miles away is KGO, from San Francisco, a very large market and the ABC station carried by Direct, AAD, and cable in Monterey-Salinas. Direct and AAD also offer KABC in HD in Monterey-Salinas. I expect that most subscribers in the Monterey-Salinas market prefer KGO as their number one choice, then KABC as a second choice. It seems to me that if Dish does not offer KGO, and possibly KABC, they will be making a mistake in this market. Typically KGO includes weather and other news from this market. Although they are a distant in this market, they know that virtually every viewer in Monterey-Salinas receives KGO.

Edited by runner861, 22 May 2010 - 01:16 AM.

#24 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,293 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 12:50 AM

Until the channels are made active there is no telling what DISH will do. The test mapping we see may simply be an error. We're still in wait and see mode.

#25 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:12 AM

Yes, but Dish will be making a mistake if they overlook KGO and KABC in the Monterey-Salinas market. It is clear that the Santa Barbara affiliate KEYT is easy to offer here because the Monterey-Salinas and Santa Barbara markets are on the same spotbeam, but Dish will not be able to compete with Direct, cable, or AAD in this market. Cable offers KGO, and Direct and AAD offer KGO and KABC.

However, one thing that we must remember is that there may be severe restrictions on what distants Dish can offer once the injunction is lifted. There is still the contract with AAD to deal with, and that is largely unknown to us. One thing that I do know is that the contract does not restrict Dish from offering "significantly viewed" stations.

#26 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,293 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:16 PM

The test mapping we see may simply be an error. We're still in wait and see mode.

Poking through DISH's additions while adding cities ...

5262 WVLA (33) BATON ROUGE, LA (NBC) added to 129° 9s42 (S Mississippi) (HD Lafayette, IN market *TEST* Hidden)

This should be Lafayette, LA ... the market is off by one in numbering.
Errors are possible!

#27 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:17 AM

But the moderator has not indicated whether he has inside information from Dish to the effect that Dish will not offer a la carte national distants, or whether this is just his speculation. He has also indicated in the "RV and Distant Networks" thread that a waiver is necessary to receive distants in an recreational vehicle. This is not the case. Proof of registration of an RV takes the place of a waiver.

If Dish does not offer conus and a la carte national distants, then I expect that AAD will remain. If AAD goes away, Dish will no doubt offer conus national distants. They will not want to give up all the rv customers.

What is missing from this discussion is that we do not know the terms of the contract between AAD and Dish. That is what will now govern Dish's carriage of distants, once the injunction is lifted. That is the bottom line, and we don't know the terms of that contract.

#28 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,293 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:01 PM

But the moderator has not indicated whether he has inside information from Dish to the effect that Dish will not offer a la carte national distants, or whether this is just his speculation. He has also indicated in the "RV and Distant Networks" thread that a waiver is necessary to receive distants in an recreational vehicle. This is not the case. Proof of registration of an RV takes the place of a waiver.

The newbee 31 post (so far) poster has overlooked the experience of the moderator in these issues. As the newbee states: "Proof of registration of an RV takes the place of a waiver." Provide valid registration and you have provided the waiver. Perhaps a nit or two could be picked over word choice. But you agree that the registration works as a waiver ... so when one says a waiver IS needed to add distants to an RV account we are in full agreement.

If you have misread anything I have posted as an official statement from DISH I apologize. Nothing I say should be construed as official policy of DISH Network, DirecTV or any other provider. Most people here understand that.

What is missing from this discussion is that we do not know the terms of the contract between AAD and Dish. That is what will now govern Dish's carriage of distants, once the injunction is lifted. That is the bottom line, and we don't know the terms of that contract.

If you have such information and can legally share it feel free. In a vacuum everyone is right and everyone is wrong, to a certain extent.

I'm pretty confident in the responses that I have given on this issue based on my knowledge and experience (including following the creation of the AAD service via DISH and the court cases involved). I'm not going to say DISH can't offer distants because of some deal with AAD or that AAD's contract will end immediately when DISH has the ability to offer distants. My expectation from years of watching DISH is that DISH will continue to take money from AAD for as long as AAD can afford to pay for the space. When AAD can no longer make the payments their service will naturally come to an end. If DISH can make more money from that space doing something else I would not expect the lease to AAD to be renewed. It is all business.

#29 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:14 PM

This is the moderator's quote from the "RV and Distant Networks" post:
"Legal reception of distants in an RV does not require "a New Jersey service address". It requires a waiver and proof you own an RV - and a separate account for your RV than your home address."

The post says a waiver AND proof of recreational vehicle ownership is necessary. That is not the state of the law. A waiver is a separate process. A waiver is requested from the local station and is requested by the distant network carrier on behalf of the customer. Proof of ownership of an recreational vehicle is generally a registration card. These are two totally different things. You need one or the other to receive a distant network--not both.

I am not trying to nitpick. However, I want the rv owner to know what he has to do, so he does not enter into the cumbersome and frustrating waiver process when it is not necessary to do so.

#30 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,293 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:40 PM

Whatever you point is, I believe you have made it. Now can we move on?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...