Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

freedbs.org ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:44 PM

I found this website via FTA Michael's blog. Instead of PM'ing you Michael, I thought I'd ask in the open so everyone could see.

Could you tell us more about this site if you know such? When will it be available, what satellite will it be on, etc. . .?

I was just curious if you had an inside scoop.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sadoun

sadoun

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:34 PM

I hope they will launch there channels soon. :)

Their Mission Statement:
There are estimated over 20 million free to air satellite receivers [ I doubt this figure? Maybe 2 million on Galaxy 19] located in homes throughout the U.S. and Canada. Our intention is to take advantage of this massive viewer network lying dormant waiting for the product we are about to make available to them. The digital encryption method will run in the clear for all channels containing commercials. Receiver requirements are a digital satellite receiver. A card slot will be required to receive PPV broadcasts

Source: http://freedbs.org/
Sadoun Satellite
DBSTALK forum member #507
Member since May 28, 2002

#3 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:08 AM

That 20 million comes from The Carmel Group study, IIRC, that Dish Network has used in pirate receiver lawsuits.

Sadoun must have better connections than I do, since he's listed at the top of FreeDBS's list of supporters, while FTAList and FTABlog aren't listed. At all. (sniff)

So I don't know, but I can try to reason it out. They've said that their satellite "will be between 80 and 100 degrees W". They're probably going to need at least two Ku-band transponders. But where? Will they have the cash to squeeze in at Galaxy 19? Or will they find a bird with cheaper rent?

My best case: FreeDBS lands on AMC 9. Dishes pointed there would pick up all the FreeDBS channels plus two RTV feeds and lots of feeds. But I wonder if SES New Skies is saving more room for HughesNet.

Crazy idea: FreeDBS lands on AMC 16. EchoStar gets to prove that it doesn't hate true FTA, and that it's happy to sell satellite capacity to anyone. That's what they always say (the second part anyway) at their booth at trade shows.

Edited by FTA Michael, 14 May 2010 - 11:10 AM.
Add trade show mention

Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#4 OFFLINE   Jtaylor1

Jtaylor1

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 12:06 PM

Isn't there already a discussion about FreeDBS that already I mentioned?

#5 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 02:41 PM

Isn't there already a discussion about FreeDBS that already I mentioned?

link??

#6 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 07:54 PM

there have been a few updates since starting this thread;

nice to see some activity going on. hopefully it won't be much longer before they launch.

News Release: 10/15/2010

We are sorry that this update has taken so long, But we wanted to give you something that was Newsworthy when we did post it.
We are proud to announce that Manhattan-Digital will be our receiver of choice. Our system has been specificly designed with Manhattan-Digital products in mind.

News Release: 9/02/2010

Freedbs will be having a meeting with a Florida Uplink Adviser later this month. We are also working on copyright issues. Without the help of the Public this would not be possible. We would like to thank the many people that are helping us including Matt with his help on Logos.

News Release: 7/16/2010

EPG compatibility. Freedbs. LLC Program Guide should work with most mpeg-2 compatible FTA receivers with the stations that we are planning to go up with at first. When we switch over to mpeg-4 only, we will also be enacting a proprietary Guide that will only work with a authorized HD mpeg-4 receiver. Other mpeg-4 receivers should still receive our channels but not the guide.

News Release: 7/11/2010

If you are planning to buy a new FTA receiver, We would recommend that you wait 1-2 weeks for our news release before you make a decision. All new mpeg-4 receivers may not work with our "EPG" electronic program guide.

News Release: 7/08/2010

TVS Sports channel has been added to our lineup. Also Space Vid Cast had been added previously and plans on Streaming in HD full time soon.

News Release: 7/01/2010

We are in talks with other corporations and businesses that we are working with to bring this about. We are also categorizing our media.
Due to the number of repetitive e-mails, We have reduced the number of representatives you may contact by email.

#7 OFFLINE   Art7220

Art7220

Godfather

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:39 PM

If it doesn't have any Canadian channels, I may not be interested. Any news on FreeHDCanada?

#8 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:18 PM

If it doesn't have any Canadian channels, I may not be interested. Any news on FreeHDCanada?

Never heard of it until now.

I looked @ their website http://www.freehdcanada.ca/

It says the free channels are "local to (your) region"; assuming that's OTA channels plus any type of public broadcasting channel.

Everything else requires a subscription. that's not very free. ;) available 2011.

#9 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:21 PM

HD is free, the channels arent ;)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#10 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:59 AM

It's a fun idea, and it's especially valuable in Canada, where light population density might put some areas out of reach of over-the-air TV after the digital changeover there.

Buy the equipment and get all Canadian locals from your region for free. Want out-of-area locals or other pay-TV channels? Just call with a credit card and get them switched on. Ditto for PPV movies and other revenue enhancers.

I had held out a slim hope that all of the locals were going to be in the clear, but this language about only getting locals "within their region" suggests that everything will be scrambled. Oh well.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#11 OFFLINE   SatExpert

SatExpert

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:04 AM

FreeHDCanada was thought by many to be merely a ploy backed by the family owners of bankrupt Global (Canwest)

Canwest was formally taken over by Shaw yesterday and renamed Shaw Media. As part of the approval process, Shaw will change over all Global transmitters - even remote ones - to digital. Those who now receive the OTA analog signal and who won't be able to receive the digital OTA signal will be get free Shaw Direct receivers and no charge local service.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...