Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV/LAN bridging: Final Answer

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Kapeman

Kapeman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:26 AM

I have seen conflicting answers on this so I will start a new thread about it.

If you put in an Ethernet switch (or just swap the cable) on the DECA adapter will that allow you to connect a non-DTV device and access your LAN/Internet connection?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:45 AM

I've not tried this, but if you are using DECA to transport something other than DIRECTV traffic you may find that things are not working as well as you'd like.

My recommendation would be to NOT do this under any circumstance.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   jpitlick

jpitlick

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:13 AM

Maybe this is oversimplfying it, but isn't DECA just a method of diplexing ethernet into the coax? With that logic, the OP's idea should work fine. Unless the DECA adapter is not providing 100 BaseT speed.

HR20-700 attached via HDMI to an Onkyo TX-SR605S connected via HDMI to a Sony KDF-42WE655 42" Grand Vega Rear Projection LCD
H21-100 attached via HDMI to Sceptre X246W-1080P 24" LCD and attached via S-Video to Windows 7 PC w/Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600
HR22-100 attached via HDMI to a ProScan 32LB30Q 32" LCD
SWM-8/STS-4
SlimLine Dish w/SL5 LNB
All receviers connected to gigabit switches and 25/25 Mbps FiOS

#4 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:22 AM

DECA is limited to 16 devices .. period. Adding non DIRECTV devices will certainly eat up that total.

Also, DECA is optimized for video delivery using DIRECTV's protocols. A third party device could introduce anomalies in that setup that somehow de-optimize the system.

I'm not saying it won't work .. I'm saying that I'd recommend not doing it because the results may not be what you expect.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,638 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:38 AM

DECA networking is the supported network from DirecTV, so I'd guess the real question should be: why deviate from what DirecTV supports with some modified setup?
"If" there would be a problem introduce, who is the one that's going to resolve it?
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   Kapeman

Kapeman

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:16 AM

DECA networking is the supported network from DirecTV, so I'd guess the real question should be: why deviate from what DirecTV supports with some modified setup?
"If" there would be a problem introduce, who is the one that's going to resolve it?

The answer to the why question would be adding a LAN connection to a location that does not have Ethernet cabling to it.

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,638 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:19 AM

The answer to the why question would be adding a LAN connection to a location that does not have Ethernet cabling to it.

[shhh don't tell anybody]
It would work, but if/when there is a problem, remember to reconfigure back to the supported setup first, to eliminate any issue this might cause.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   premio

premio

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:08 PM

In my case:

I have a wireless hub (connected as a repeater-bridge) that feeds internet to my PS3 as well as the HR20. I do not have CAT5 to that location but do have RG6.

/IF/ I can install a DECA on the RG6, connect a switch to that device, and then provide ethernet to my HR20 as well as my PS3... I would be happy.

If 16 DECA units are addressable on layer 2, it shouldn't matter how many layer 3 addresses are supported by those... correct?

I don't understand the argument against this.. what could you possibly introduce that would cause instability.. Sure you could saturate 100Mb, but that's incredibly unlikely...

Am I missing something?
<!---
It's Comcastic!
--->

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,638 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:24 PM

In my case:

I have a wireless hub (connected as a repeater-bridge) that feeds internet to my PS3 as well as the HR20. I do not have CAT5 to that location but do have RG6.

/IF/ I can install a DECA on the RG6, connect a switch to that device, and then provide ethernet to my HR20 as well as my PS3... I would be happy.

If 16 DECA units are addressable on layer 2, it shouldn't matter how many layer 3 addresses are supported by those... correct?

I don't understand the argument against this.. what could you possibly introduce that would cause instability.. Sure you could saturate 100Mb, but that's incredibly unlikely...

Am I missing something?

I doubt you're missing anything.
What we [or myself] may do, may [will] work for us, but understand from DirecTV's view point, we're modifying their network and as such we shouldn't expect them to support us any longer, or at least until we reconfigure it back to their standards.
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:29 AM

I am hoping to do something similar with a Blu-ray player. My DECA install is this morning. After this weekend I can give some feedback as to how it works to have a switch and another device in the setup.

#11 OFFLINE   Eddie L.

Eddie L.

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:31 AM

I am hoping to do something similar with a Blu-ray player. My DECA install is this morning. After this weekend I can give some feedback as to how it works to have a switch and another device in the setup.

Please do so, because I'd be another one that would appreciate it. I've got an AppleTV that I was planning to connect to the network via a switch on my DECA, and in another room, I've got a new Samsung LED LCD that has an Ethernet input for media capabilities and I was planning to do the same thing in that room as well.

I hear the argument about possible problems from introducing another type of data over the network since DECA is optimized for video data, but aren't the expanded D* On Demand movies just basically data delivered to your HR2X via high speed internet (in the same manner that an AppleTV works)?

#12 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,638 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:34 AM

I hear the argument about possible problems from introducing another type of data over the network since DECA is optimized for video data, but aren't the expanded D* On Demand movies just basically data delivered to your HR2X via high speed internet (in the same manner that an AppleTV works)?

I'd kind of say: if you're knowledgeable enough to ask the question, you would have the [correct] answer too. ;)
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   Eddie L.

Eddie L.

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:42 AM

I'd kind of say: if you're knowledgeable enough to ask the question, you would have the [correct] answer too. ;)

I know just enough to be "dangerous". But I am not so smart that the [ ] aren't making my brain work overtime! :lol:

#14 OFFLINE   djrobx

djrobx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 502 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:02 AM

This comes up all the time with U-verse. It's very common for people to have devices they want networked near the TV (xbox, blu ray, HTPC, etc), and going wired is always better than wireless. People eventually figured out that you can attach something to the ethernet port of the U-verse STB and it gets bridged onto their HPNA signal. Of course, this is all totally unsupported by AT&T, but it works just fine. I don't expect DECA will be any different. Of course, theory is no substitute for real experiments and experience. :)

#15 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:04 AM

My DECA install is complete. I will add in the switch [actually its an old router, but I will have it functioning as a switch] and Blu-ray player tonight and play around with MRV and Netflix over the weekend and report back how things are working.

#16 OFFLINE   spidey

spidey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 01:42 PM

So could I connect my Slingbox to the other port on the HR21? Let it go DECA to the router??

#17 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,638 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 01:44 PM

So could I connect my Slingbox to the other port on the HR21? Let it go DECA to the router??

Could or Should?
can do, but shouldn't
A.K.A VOS

#18 OFFLINE   spidey

spidey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 01:49 PM

Could or Should?
can do, but shouldn't

so how would I use another deca module or keep my wireless N alive just for that??

#19 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,638 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 01:51 PM

so how would I use another deca module or keep my wireless N alive just for that??

You could use the DECA + PI, like for the broadband connection.
A.K.A VOS

#20 OFFLINE   spidey

spidey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 01:53 PM

You could use the DECA + PI, like for the broadband connection.

so they would have 2 DECA modules than one for the HR21 and the Slingbox

spam firewall