Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV/LAN bridging: Final Answer

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 01:57 PM

so they would have 2 DECA modules than one for the HR21 and the Slingbox

"They" mean YOU. DirecTV won't be doing this for you.
One DECA powered/connected to the HR21, & another coax feed [splitter] to another DECA that is powered from a PI, and going to the Slingbox.
"Plan B" would be to use a switch from the DECA and then feed both the HR21 & Sling, but this isn't what DirecTV will do or wants.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   spidey

spidey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 02:05 PM

"They" mean YOU. DirecTV won't be doing this for you.
One DECA powered/connected to the HR21, & another coax feed [splitter] to another DECA that is powered from a PI, and going to the Slingbox.
"Plan B" would be to use a switch from the DECA and then feed both the HR21 & Sling, but this isn't what DirecTV will do or wants.

Thanx VOS I may just move the sling to a different receiver were I have the router to connect directly into it or leave the N adapter on the Sling and upgrade router to a dual band. Decisions Decisions and a full network planning exercise for future.

#23 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:13 AM

Okay guys, good news.

I hooked up one of my DECAs to a switch (actually an old router in switch mode) and then hooked up an HR21 and a Blu-ray player to it. The HR21 was able to do MRV with no problem and the Blu-ray Player was able to stream Netflix with no problem. So an initial test confirms what I (and many others here) think, that you can put a switch on a DECA to distribute the network to other devices as well.

Obviously, this isn't gold-star approved by the overlords, but it appears to work alright. As time goes on, if I experience any degradation that could be due to this setup, I will post here.

#24 OFFLINE   Eddie L.

Eddie L.

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:36 PM

Okay guys, good news.

I hooked up one of my DECAs to a switch (actually an old router in switch mode) and then hooked up an HR21 and a Blu-ray player to it. The HR21 was able to do MRV with no problem and the Blu-ray Player was able to stream Netflix with no problem. So an initial test confirms what I (and many others here) think, that you can put a switch on a DECA to distribute the network to other devices as well.

Obviously, this isn't gold-star approved by the overlords, but it appears to work alright. As time goes on, if I experience any degradation that could be due to this setup, I will post here.

Thanks, paragon. I've been checking back to see how it worked for you. Glad to see everything went well! My install is scheduled for this Thursday at 4 PM, and I'm planning to do the same thing. I'll also post an update a few days after that and let everyone know how it goes.

#25 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:44 PM

There's no reason the DECA wouldn't work for this however if you start to have issues with your MRV performance this would be the first thing to remove. Adding traffic that was not intended to be there is obviously not going to be something supported and can cause issues. YMMV and I'm sure people will use this as a way to get around running an ethernet cable but for a long term solution I would say the cost of running one ethernet cable would be better.

#26 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:04 PM

There's no reason the DECA wouldn't work for this however if you start to have issues with your MRV performance this would be the first thing to remove. Adding traffic that was not intended to be there is obviously not going to be something supported and can cause issues. YMMV and I'm sure people will use this as a way to get around running an ethernet cable but for a long term solution I would say the cost of running one ethernet cable would be better.

I see no real reason to spend the money to run ethernet. As far as I see it, my Blu-ray Player is going to be requiring no more bandwidth than the HR21 would (probably less, in fact), and it's not like it is possible for me to watch shows on both at the same time. Maybe there is some QoS that gets screwed up by putting the switch in the path, but until I see issues occur, I plan to proceed as is. Running cables at my house is an absolute nightmare (no unfinished basement, all ceilings drywalled).

#27 OFFLINE   Kapeman

Kapeman

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:27 PM

True, but in some instances running Ethernet cables is not even remotely feasible. In those instances, using this method should prove useful.

#28 OFFLINE   Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:33 PM

So an initial test confirms what I (and many others here) think, that you can put a switch on a DECA to distribute the network to other devices as well.

I tried this with an ethernet switch in my bedroom... it "worked," but Netflix barely had one bar for the video quality, though as I stated in another thread, I'm having DECA issues in that particular room (I may try this in another room).

#29 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:42 AM

I tried this with an ethernet switch in my bedroom... it "worked," but Netflix barely had one bar for the video quality, though as I stated in another thread, I'm having DECA issues in that particular room (I may try this in another room).

Over DECA, my Netflix gets the same number of bars that it did when I had it connected over Wireless-N (3 below maximum). I have never tried it with a direct ethernet connection to my router, but maybe I will lay a cable across my floor and try it just as a comparison point.

#30 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,439 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:15 AM

FWIW, Verizon freely connects both PC's and TV's to the same "cloud" in their MoCA installations. They split coax to PC locations and break it out to CAT5 with boxes that are functionally equivalent to DECA adapters (NIM-100's). The FiOS QIP set top boxes don't need them. They're like H/HR24's... MoCA is built-in.

Edited by Steve, 19 May 2010 - 09:38 AM.

/steve

#31 OFFLINE   cforrest

cforrest

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 811 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:53 AM

FWIW, Verizon freely connects both PC's and TV's to the same "cloud" in their MoCA installations. They split coax to PC locations and break it out to CAT5 with boxes similar to DECA adapters.

I actually use the FIOS router and setup for D*, lol! I have a NIM-100 in my bedroom connected to my HR21, just split the coax for fios tv into the NIM-100. Connected cat-5 from it into my HR21 & DOD & TV Apps, etc works on receiver. Put my living room HR21 on the router via Cat-5 and they work fine with MRV. Since I hate the FIOS router I have bridged it and all works well moving video to the bedroom and into the living room. That router is pretty powerful & just has 2 FIOS boxes and 2 D* receivers on it. All my internet surfing & Slingbox are on the Linksys (primary router).

D* Setup:

Slimline (AU9-S) w/no multiswitch
(1) HR21-100 0x87F (7/8/08 Made in Mexico) via HDMI to Pioneer PDP-6020FD
(1) HR24-100 0x87F (11/9/10 Made in Thailand) via HDMI to Panasonic TC-P58S2

FIOS 150/65

spam firewall