Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Where else is "Connected Home" heading?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tonypitt

tonypitt

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:50 AM

I have been impressed lately with how aggressively DTV seems to be pursuing continuous improvement of their equipment and services. I'm guessing that we'll continue to see this as this 'connected home' initiative seems like something they can use to tout an advantage over cable and other satellite providers.

With today being the startup of the national roll out for Whole Home DVR, I'm guessing that nothing new is on the immediate horizon. I'm hoping that in the future we'll get collaborative scheduling as a part of this initiative. Are there other things that might ultimately become part of this 'connected home' initiative that we could look forward to someday? Is the DVR connected to the Internet going to be leveraged in interesting ways?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:54 AM

RVU should start kicking around either late this year or early next year .. The ultimate goal for RVU is a single "server" in your home with an RVU tuner built into your TV meaning no STB in most locations in your home.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   vader78

vader78

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:52 AM

DTV engineers say they have 'internet sharing' coming online this fall. This will allow you view content on your DVR remotely. No need for a slingbox and DTV's version of the slingloaded 922.

#4 OFFLINE   uwhumpty

uwhumpty

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts
  • LocationSioux City, IA

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:25 AM

One thing that I would like to see, is continued development/improvement of the DirecTV2PC software. Vader78 mentions internet sharing, so maybe they'll focus on software that can do this both over the internet and local network, kind of an all-in-one package instead of separate programs.
Currently DirecTV2PC is working great for me, but with MRV going national soon, some features that I would like to see brought over from MRV to the DirecTV2PC platform are the ability for remote deletion, and displaying episode titles within a folder (currently all shows within a folder just show the show title, not episode title).
Just my 2 cents.
Slimline SL3-SWM
HR34-700 via HDMI --> Onkyo HT-RC260 --> Samsung PN50C8000 3D Plasma
HR24-200 via HDMI --> Samsung LN32D550
H24-700 via HDMI --> Samsung UN32EH5300
H25-700 via HDMI --> Samsung UN40ES6100
Receivers networked via DECA. DECA cloud networked to a Linksys E4200.
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Verizon, Stock ICS 4.2.2)
Asus Nexus 7 (Stock Jelly Bean 4.2.2)
Asus Transformer Infinity (Stock ICS 4.2.1)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...