Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

No self install on MRV/DECA from Directv

montana pbs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gator1234

gator1234

AllStar

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:55 AM

I ordered the MRV service today. I have a SIMS setup and all HD DVRs are compatible. Cost was $99. plus $45. installation. I asked if they could just ship me the DECA part and I could hook it up to the receivers and they say no, it had to be professionally installed.

I thought the $45. just to screw the DECA part into the cable/receiver was expensive but I set it up anyway.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:03 AM

You have to order from a third party to do it yourself .. DIRECTV will not ship you the parts and let you install it. While you may be capable, there are 100 other people behind you that probably aren't capable. The easy answer is everyone gets DIRECTV to come by and install it when ordering from DIRECTV.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,514 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:06 AM

I ordered the MRV service today. I have a SIMS setup and all HD DVRs are compatible. Cost was $99. plus $45. installation. I asked if they could just ship me the DECA part and I could hook it up to the receivers and they say no, it had to be professionally installed.

I thought the $45. just to screw the DECA part into the cable/receiver was expensive but I set it up anyway.

How are your signal strengths? Maybe you can get an alignment tweak with it. But, yeah a bit overkill for some. Some installs, like mine, would need a band stop filter so can be slightly more complicated than just putting in deca adapters.

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:59 AM

The other issue is that 99+% of customers would not know which parts they need, nor about the non-standard receivers (HR20-100) that require unique installation configurations. A company like DirecTV with 18 million subscribers needs to have ONE rule that covers everyone, as there are too many people to deal with exceptions.

spam firewall