Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Set up help for MRV

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ltrain20

ltrain20

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 02:18 PM

Current set up
AU9 Dish
WB68 multiswitch
HR20-700
HR20-100 – WLI-TX4-G54HP : Wireless-G MIMO Performance Ethernet Converter
HR22-100
R15-100 – only 1 coax hooked up at this time. So only 1 tuner.
HDVR2 – only 1 coax hooked up at this time.

Want to do the Whole house DVR with DECA - I want to make sure I have this right in my head and others helped the other day with some questions. Really want to have MRV in all rooms.

Does the dish need swapped or the LNBs swapped on the dish. I thought I read the dish is fine the 4 wires will go in the SWiM. I think I need a SWiM16 with 4 DVRS +1 other receiver or 5 DVRs (depending on which way I go).

The multiswitch goes away.

R15-100 needs to be replaced and I will either get an R16 or I need to upgrade to HD receiver or HD DVR to get MRV

The HDVR2 need to be replaced again with a HD receiver. I do not really need a DVR here but had an extra when swapping out boxed earlier.

I have an old Samsung TS360 which is not active but I keep it around in case a box goes down. Any reason to active in place of the HDVR2 for swapping or not. Just looking for an opinion and I know it is CSR roulette on this anyway.

Can the Buffalo be used to originally tie into 1 of the DECA units for on-demand for all capable receivers without issue?

Thanks for the help and thoughts.
Toshiba 65HM167 via HDMI
HR20-100 - HDMI out - Optical out to Processor -
Toshiba 46H84 via HDMI/DVI
HR20-700 - HDMI out - Optical to Receiver
HR22-100 HDMI out to Samsung 46UN6000
other receivers R22-200 and H24

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 02:27 PM

Since you seem to have 5 DVRs and want to have all of them work with MRV you will have to upgrade the older two to HR2x HD-DVRs. You will then have 10 tuners so you will need an install with a SWM16. They will most likely also swap out your dish for a Slimline 3LNB dish (unless you need to see 110 and 119 then they will give you a Slimline 5LNB).

Once this is done you will only need one coax feed to each HD-DVR. You will also need a DECA adapter for all HR2x boxes (except the HR24 if you get them as replacements for your two older DVRs). You will also need another DECA adapter to hook up to your home internet router if you want access to On-Demand content and to use MediaShare.

DirecTV should supply the dish, SWM16, and all DECA adapters for $99 and a $49 install fee. The two HD-DVRs will cost $199 each. This will require you to agree to a new 2 year agreement. Your total could be as high as $546 (excluding any taxes), but if you are a good D* customer, pay your bills on time, etc. there is a good chance they will discount some of that.

#3 OFFLINE   ltrain20

ltrain20

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 02:31 PM

can I use the buffalo wireless to hook up to the DECA?

Also Premier with severla sports packages each year and always pay bill on time so they have worked with me in the past on pricing.

I appreciate the help.

I just did not want them to put any holes in the roof for a new dish if I can help it.

thanks
Toshiba 65HM167 via HDMI

#4 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 02:35 PM

What exactly is the Buffalo Wireless? Is it an access point? If so it could be used to tie all of the receivers to your home network for On Demand, etc, but it will slow things down. It would be better if they could hook a DECA unit directly up to your internet router. Is your router in a location that they won't be able to run a coax line to it? Could it be moved to a different location where they could get a coax line run to it?

All of your receivers will be hooked together over the existing coax using DECA so the wireless won't effect MRV, but it will slow down media share, DirecTV2PC, and On Demand if you use those features.

#5 OFFLINE   ltrain20

ltrain20

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 02:40 PM

I will have to look as I think there is a coax cable in the office not far from the router. We do not have TV in that room so I have never paid much attention.

I thought about that but did not know if the DECA unit could work that way.

i like my TV and gadgets but do not have my head completely wrapped around this year.

Thanks for all the help!!
Toshiba 65HM167 via HDMI

#6 OFFLINE   oldengineer

oldengineer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:27 PM

Since you seem to have 5 DVRs and want to have all of them work with MRV you will have to upgrade the older two to HR2x HD-DVRs. You will then have 10 tuners so you will need an install with a SWM16. They will most likely also swap out your dish for a Slimline 3LNB dish (unless you need to see 110 and 119 then they will give you a Slimline 5LNB).

Once this is done you will only need one coax feed to each HD-DVR. You will also need a DECA adapter for all HR2x boxes (except the HR24 if you get them as replacements for your two older DVRs). You will also need another DECA adapter to hook up to your home internet router if you want access to On-Demand content and to use MediaShare.

DirecTV should supply the dish, SWM16, and all DECA adapters for $99 and a $49 install fee. The two HD-DVRs will cost $199 each. This will require you to agree to a new 2 year agreement. Your total could be as high as $546 (excluding any taxes), but if you are a good D* customer, pay your bills on time, etc. there is a good chance they will discount some of that.

You are correct, sir. I just called and got an HD DVR upgrade, the MRV kit and installation for 49.95 + tax. Of course a new 2 year commitment is part of the deal.

2H/1J

Protected By... spam firewall...And...