Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Itching to upgrade to MRV and all.....

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:23 PM

All this rollout of the H24s and HR24s and MRV with DECA and SWM installations has me wanting to upgrade badly......

But I only have one HDTV set (HR20) with two other regular perfectly functional SD TVS hooked to DirecTIVOs. Traditional SL3 LNB and WB68 switch.

To upgrade I would need to "throw out" the functional DirecTIVOs and the SD TVs and replace them with new (25 inch and 37 inch) TVs and new HD receivers/DVRs if I go with a MRV and SWM LNB setup.

If money just were no object..... :rolleyes:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:29 PM

You can hook up HD receivers/DVRs to standard def TVs and start using MRV now. You will be able to set them to either letterbox or crop the HD channels to fit your old TVs.

#3 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:00 PM

tkrandall - Don't fear it - I'm an ex-HR10-250 lover. Swapped them out (paid $999 each for them) for HR20's and haven't looked back. Plus, you'll get SOOOO much more HD!

Go for it :)

#4 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,401 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:14 PM

tkrandall - Don't fear it - I'm an ex-HR10-250 lover. Swapped them out (paid $999 each for them) for HR20's and haven't looked back. Plus, you'll get SOOOO much more HD!

Go for it :)

$999 ??? :eek2:

#5 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:17 PM

$999 ??? :eek2:

For the HR10-250s when they became available. I also bought one at that time.

#6 OFFLINE   Garry

Garry

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:46 PM

I currently have two HD Dvrs, two HD receivers and one D10 receiver that my roommate uses.

Am I correct that in order to get MRV, I would need to replace the D10 with a
HD receiver?

Also, would this also avoid the need to have two cables connected to the DVR to use both tuners?

Unfortunately, I recently bought an DVR at the $99 price, so there's no deal on the website for a new HD receiver.

Is there anything else I would need?

Thanks.

#7 OFFLINE   patg25

patg25

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:55 PM

I have one of those "enhanced" definition TV, better than SD but not HD. It has component inputs. I bought it when HDTVs were still very expensive. If I get an HD receiver for this TV and MRV, would I be able to access the HD recorded shows stored on the main DVR? I guess the TV would down convert the picture, but will the receivers allow access? They shouldn't care how they are connected, right?

#8 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:16 PM

I have one of those "enhanced" definition TV, better than SD but not HD. It has component inputs. I bought it when HDTVs were still very expensive. If I get an HD receiver for this TV and MRV, would I be able to access the HD recorded shows stored on the main DVR? I guess the TV would down convert the picture, but will the receivers allow access? They shouldn't care how they are connected, right?

HDMI / DVI HDCP may apply to some content
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,696 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:11 PM

I currently have two HD Dvrs, two HD receivers and one D10 receiver that my roommate uses.

Am I correct that in order to get MRV, I would need to replace the D10 with a
HD receiver?

Also, would this also avoid the need to have two cables connected to the DVR to use both tuners?

Unfortunately, I recently bought an DVR at the $99 price, so there's no deal on the website for a new HD receiver.

Is there anything else I would need?

Thanks.

If you went with the MRV/DECA upgrade for $99 + $49, the D10 would get swapped for a D12 with a one year commitment.
Of course you wouldn't have MRV with it, but it will work with the SWiM that comes with the upgrade.
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:29 PM

You can hook up HD receivers/DVRs to standard def TVs and start using MRV now. You will be able to set them to either letterbox or crop the HD channels to fit your old TVs.

I would need the SWM/DECA installation, i.e. roll a truck. But I thought I had read DirecTV did not allow HD receivers to be hooked by installers to non HD sets. I suppose I could get the receivers from SS first, hook them up myself, and then do the SWM/DECA upgrade?

#11 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 01:46 PM

I don't think that was ever a DirecTV rule. It seems that it may have been a rule put into effect by some of the installer companies to avoid callbacks from people replacing their TVs and not knowing how to hook them up themselves.

I think now that MRV is going national and people are signing up for it, it shouldn't be a problem to get HD receivers hooked up to SD TVs because that is the only way to get the MRV content on them.

#12 OFFLINE   Garry

Garry

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:11 PM

If you went with the MRV/DECA upgrade for $99 + $49, the D10 would get swapped for a D12 with a one year commitment.
Of course you wouldn't have MRV with it, but it will work with the SWiM that comes with the upgrade.

Thanks for your reply.

I might have to have my dish re-aligned. I have the protection plan.

Could I schedule both the re-alignment and the MRV/DECA/SWM install tgether and perhaps even save some money?

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,696 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:23 PM

Thanks for your reply.

I might have to have my dish re-aligned. I have the protection plan.

Could I schedule both the re-alignment and the MRV/DECA/SWM install tgether and perhaps even save some money?

the PP really won't come into play.
The dish would get the LNB swapped to SWiM, and get aligned as part of the MRV/DECA.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall