Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Enable MRV using your home networking

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
439 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:24 PM

First a disclaimer ..

DIRECTV's preferred method of enabling MRV is via their MRV upgrade path which includes adding DECA and SWiM as necessary in addition to upgrading any splitters, receivers or multiswitches. This is DIRECTV's Connected Home initiative.

However, if you want to use your own home networking, you can do so. You will still need to pay the $3/month MRV fee (called 'whole home DVR service') and it will need to be activated on your account. Here is the procedure to get that accomplished:

NOTE: If you are ordering DECA/SWiM, DO NOT follow this procedure. Simply order DECA/SWiM and MRV will work out the way it's supposed to.

Below Procedure replaced: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=177590

This procedure is for those folks who want to use their own home networking and continue to enjoy Multiroom viewing.

• Call 1-800-531-5000
  • Give Your Phone # when prompted
  • At the main menu voice prompt say "Whole Home DVR Service"
    At this point you should be connected to an agent
  • Tell the agent that you have been participating in the 'Whole Home DVR Service beta' and you want to enable 'MRV-Capability' so that you can activate 'Whole Home DVR Service' on your account
  • Ask the CSR to cancel (or do not enter) the Connected Home upgrade screen
  • Ask the CSR to enter 'Account Attributes' (under the same drop down as adding services) and choose 'Create New'. The only option here is 'MRV-Capability' and it should be set to 'u' (for unsupported) with mostly defaults. At this point, you have enabled the 'MRV' flag and you could (in theory) order from the web page. I saw it when viewing my account via the web.
  • Once this has been set, the CSR will have to exit your account information and then reenter your account information screen so that the information refreshes.
  • At this point, the CSR can now enable "Whole Home DVR Service"

[strike]Sometimes CSRs are having trouble finding 'Account Attributes' menu .. It's apparently on the far right hand side of the screen and hard to find. But once they get to this area, it usually goes smooth.

There have been a small number of CSRs that truly do not have access to this menu .. In this case the CSR may need to have authorization turned on first. This does not seem to be a rule, but more an exception.

Edited by Doug Brott, 20 May 2010 - 01:34 PM.

DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:25 PM

If you have the Choice Xtra + HDDVR package (a legacy package no longer available), you may have problems using this procedure. The only way to fix this currently is to switch to the Choice Xtra package and add both HD Service and DVR Service.

If you make this adjustment to your account, it will cost you $1/month for the same package. Do not make the adjustment if you do not want to pay this additional $1/month.

It is possible (perhaps even likely) that DIRECTV will resolve this in the next few days so that folks with Choice Xtra + HDDVR can add Whole Home DVR Service without switching packages.

The $3/month charge for Whole Home DVR Service applies regardless of any package change. If you have Whole Home DVR Service, it's $3/month ..

Edited by Doug Brott, 14 May 2010 - 04:47 PM.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   gregftlaud

gregftlaud

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:39 PM

I currently have my HR20-100 and HR20-700 hardwired thru my network to get MRV and it works great. I'm really confused with all these posts about DECA. I'm going to pay for MRV but can I still use it with my network or do I have to have an installer come out and install DECA?

Thanks

#4 OFFLINE   jpitlick

jpitlick

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:43 PM

I currently have my HR20-100 and HR20-700 hardwired thru my network to get MRV and it works great. I'm really confused with all these posts about DECA. I'm going to pay for MRV but can I still use it with my network or do I have to have an installer come out and install DECA?

Thanks

You do not need DECA. The confusion seems to be that D* did not consider customers that have existing wired networks when they decided to go public MRV.

HR20-700 attached via HDMI to an Onkyo TX-SR605S connected via HDMI to a Sony KDF-42WE655 42" Grand Vega Rear Projection LCD
H21-100 attached via HDMI to Sceptre X246W-1080P 24" LCD and attached via S-Video to Windows 7 PC w/Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600
HR22-100 attached via HDMI to a ProScan 32LB30Q 32" LCD
SWM-8/STS-4
SlimLine Dish w/SL5 LNB
All receviers connected to gigabit switches and 25/25 Mbps FiOS

#5 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:25 PM

The MRV National Release Discussion thread can be found here:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=176749

#6 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:48 PM

You do not need DECA. The confusion seems to be that D* did not consider customers that have existing wired networks when they decided to go public MRV.

This is not entirely true .. The original plan did not include allowing home networks for MRV at all .. DIRECTV decided to include a mechanism for doing this which has proven to be helpful to a number of folks.

#7 OFFLINE   gregftlaud

gregftlaud

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:53 PM

Ok i'm on hold with the advanced department at directv and those instructions u said to give the CSR she said she didnt have access to those menu options. These people are clueless ugh. This is the 3rd CSR now i've spoken with the first 2 had no clue what i was talking about. She spoke with a supervisor and they say i need DECA. UGHHHH!!!

The CSR says she doesnt have an "account attributes" screen to go into. What should I tell her to do??

Edited by gregftlaud, 14 May 2010 - 05:42 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:42 PM

If you have the Choice Xtra + HDDVR legacy package, you may have problems getting whole home DVR service turned on.

#9 OFFLINE   mfeinstein

mfeinstein

Godfather

• Registered
  • 325 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:45 PM

Called yesterday and didn't get very far in getting MRV enabled for my home network. CSR was courteous and helpful, but unable to follow the procedure outlined by Doug.

Called again today and luckily I was the second beta tester that this CSR had heard from. He knew exactly what to do, and I was set up within a few minutes.

#10 OFFLINE   gregftlaud

gregftlaud

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:57 PM

well yah i had that package but she changed it to a new package so i could get it but she still cant do it. doesnt have an "account attributes" screen to get into she said.

#11 OFFLINE   Scrib

Scrib

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:59 PM

well yah i had that package but she changed it to a new package so i could get it but she still cant do it. doesnt have an "account attributes" screen to get into she said.

It's not a screen...

"Ask the CSR to enter 'Account Attributes' (under the same drop down as adding services)"

#12 OFFLINE   gregftlaud

gregftlaud

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:06 PM

i did she said she didnt have that option. i just called it a screen that's my phrase. when i told her to enter account attributes she said she didnt have that option. now i got transferred to tech and they say they cant go into account attributes either. they all say i have to have deca they have no clue that people are doing mrv thru a network.

#13 OFFLINE   nashpatrick

nashpatrick

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:09 PM

Worked perfect for me. In fact, got a CSR who had already done this for someone earlier today. I did have to upgrade to the new package, so 4 dollars a month total. Thanks for the directions Doug!

#14 OFFLINE   Marvin

Marvin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:11 PM

If you have the Choice Xtra + HDDVR legacy package, you may have problems getting whole home DVR service turned on.

What about TC+ with HD and DVR service? I dont want to try and add this for $3 and then get dinged another $1 or whatever the difference is between this and what the current equivalent package is, its barely worth it to me at $3.

#15 OFFLINE   gregftlaud

gregftlaud

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:11 PM

spoke with customer retention they wont add the mrv service for 3/month either say i neeed deca. a supervisor in the same dept said the same thing. i dont know what to do

#16 OFFLINE   trido

trido

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:12 PM

I have been beta testing MRV also just fine,however I have a H23 BUT have not received the official firmware upgrade that enable MRV.

Do I need to keep running an old beta version and call in to ad MRV to account? Or is the final H23 firmware out there now?

Thanks

Called yesterday and didn't get very far in getting MRV enabled for my home network. CSR was courteous and helpful, but unable to follow the procedure outlined by Doug.

Called again today and luckily I was the second beta tester that this CSR had heard from. He knew exactly what to do, and I was set up within a few minutes.

#17 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:14 PM

I'm on the Choice Xtra + HDDVR legacy package. Can I not add MRV without changing my package?
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#18 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:32 PM

I just activated WHDVR took about 5 mins with Dougs instructions

JACK,

#19 OFFLINE   gregftlaud

gregftlaud

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:13 PM

OH FINALLY! I called back 5 times and finally got an older lady named Doris (funny coincedence with the DORIS documentation dont u think?) and she was very patient........went into the DORIS documentation......found the account attributes area (she said it was at the very edge of her screen) and she got me activated. At least i think she did.....under setup----multi room-----status it says activated plus i see a prorated charge for whole home dvr service on my direct recent activity. 2.5 hrs that took. She said she had never been trained on how to activate MRV for people with home networks. Only trained on DECA. Cha-Ching Directv is trying to make some money here making people get DECA. She thanked me b/c she said now she knows what to do the next time someone calls in with a home network. This one woman in customer retention was extremely rude. I was going back and forth with her and she finally....literally screamed at me......"YOU HAVE TO HAVE DECA TO GET MRV.....THE BETA IS OVER!!!". That is when I called back and got this last nice lady. I told her to tell her supervisors about us home networking people and pass the info on to their superiors so more people wont have to go thru this. Oh, the humanity! lol

#20 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:43 PM

Pretty sad that customers have to walk the 'trained' CSR through the steps in their system. Also, that Agents or even supervisors are refusing to follow their training for this issue.

The OP's instructions are fairly accurate though, for adding MRV unsupported service. Account attributes dropdown, New, mrvcompatible, set value to U, then add the Whole Home Service normally using Rio services. Should take about 1-2 mnutes max..

Edited by xmetalx, 14 May 2010 - 07:51 PM.
spelling :P

DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

spam firewall