Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Enable MRV using your home networking

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
439 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   gregftlaud

gregftlaud

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:53 PM

I think this is a case of laziness on the part of these CSR's who cant get the job done. B/c the lady who finally got this resolved for me said the "account attributes" dropdown is right on the edge or their screens. These csr's are just not looking carefully or hard enuf. I guess if it doesnt smack them in the face they wont find it!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:57 PM

I think this is a case of laziness on the part of these CSR's who cant get the job done. B/c the lady who finally got this resolved for me said the "account attributes" dropdown is right on the edge or their screens. These csr's are just not looking carefully or hard enuf. I guess if it doesnt smack them in the face they wont find it!

Well, to be fair, it IS hard to find, and the info on how to add the MRV unsupported service is even harder.. unless you know to look for it, or read through ALL the MRV Q&A, you won't find it.
DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#23 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,836 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:01 PM

Well, to be fair, it IS hard to find, and the info on how to add the MRV unsupported service is even harder.. unless you know to look for it, or read through ALL the MRV Q&A, you won't find it.

Can we call you to set us up? :lol:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#24 OFFLINE   gregftlaud

gregftlaud

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:08 PM

It's hard to find???? U got to be kidding me. These CSR's jobs are to be able to do things like this. That is their job. Hard to find , my butt. And if it's so hard then how does that explain the many people that have called in and got the CSR to activate it in 5-20 minutes then those of us that takes hours. It's incompetence. It's their job, they should know how to do it!!!! Give me a break, hard to find. I can just imagine at my job if I couldnt get something done......that was my job......and told my boss : "well it's just hard". I'd be fired on the spot.

#25 OFFLINE   NVTanner

NVTanner

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:11 PM

They told me the ethernet version of MRV will be shut down on 5/20 and I HAD to purchase DECA. I got tired to hanging on the phone and said bye. I'll have to call another time and get someone more intelligent.

John in LV, NV

#26 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:20 PM

It's incompetence. It's their job, they should know how to do it!!!! Give me a break, hard to find. I can just imagine at my job if I couldnt get something done......that was my job......and told my boss : "well it's just hard". I'd be fired on the spot.

I completely, wholeheartedly agree. I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt (sometimes I'm a bit too nice).

And sigma, nope :P I don't touch an account unless I have to
DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#27 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,836 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:32 PM

And sigma, nope :P I don't touch an account unless I have to

Awww man. ;)

I think us DBSTalk Club Members should have "special CSR" to help us. :lol:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#28 OFFLINE   larry976

larry976

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:32 PM

For those of us who have been using it in beta, it there a specific time when it will stop working if we don't call DirecTV and add it.

#29 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:33 PM

For those of us who have been using it in beta, it there a specific time when it will stop working if we don't call DirecTV and add it.

May 20th

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#30 OFFLINE   gregftlaud

gregftlaud

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:01 PM

My question is. Since home networking is unsupported will there ever be a software update for the HR20's that might screw us home networked mrv users over? One that might make it only possible to get MRV via DECA?

And yah I know u were kidding about a special CSR for us. But I've had DirecTV for 14years. Seems like being a customer for so long would get me better treatment than CSR's giving up and sending me in an endless transfer loop!

#31 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,026 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:54 PM

What about TC+ with HD and DVR service? I dont want to try and add this for $3 and then get dinged another $1 or whatever the difference is between this and what the current equivalent package is, its barely worth it to me at $3.

That is what I have and had no problems adding WHDS. I also have an H20 (which I know wont work for remote) and they did not force me to upgrade it. This is good as I will never watch a remote program in the office and dont want to start a new commitment

My Setup

#32 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:16 PM

I would recommend using the contact us/email feature to get this enabled. Most people have had success and you don't have to spend more time than the initial email.

It's obvious that this information was not made available and until it gets out of the "brand new" status I think more headaches, for you and the agents, will ensue.

#33 OFFLINE   boxster99t

boxster99t

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:44 PM

I just activated mine--the CSR I talked with had done it before, so it only took a few minutes. And he threw in the HD extra pack for 90 days free, which I've had before. Still think MRV should be free for those that had been doing the beta and ran their own network, but that's life.

#34 OFFLINE   byronmphillips

byronmphillips

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:35 PM

first call directv about 11:30pm. got northern alabama. rep very nice but did not have a clue about what i was telling him about to whole home drv service. told him i had legacy programming on my account and that would keep my account from being activated. told him i would need to change my programming package (cost about a dollar more per month). he kept telling me that my equipment would have to be upgraded & i kept telling him that was incorrect. anyway after about 40 minutes and several holds i thanked the rep and told him that his information was not correct. so i called again a got a rep who knew exactly what to do. if your programming was grandfathered as mind had been you have to remove that programming package. i will only cost $1 more per month. this rep. removed old programming package added $3 per month fee for multi-rooom dvr. online my account said activated. a check of my receivers say activated! the second rep. was excellent and willing to listen (or maybe knew what she was doing).

i have had my dvrs networked since day one of the beta. standard def worked fine over wireless n, but the very best way to go is to hardwire your receivers for hd programming to work.

i have 3 hd dvrs connected using a legacy connection for the directv services all the receiver are connected using ethernet.

#35 OFFLINE   gregftlaud

gregftlaud

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:48 PM

I just hope they dont pull the plug on doing mrv via the ethernet port somehow with a software update. Seems like Dtv didnt school their CSR's on people that use their own home network to use MRV and are pushing them to upgrade people to DECA which means more $$$$$$$$. Please tell me that the ethernet port on the dvr's will always work for MRV as long as MRV is activated.

#36 OFFLINE   Spoffo

Spoffo

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:33 AM

I just hope they dont pull the plug on doing mrv via the ethernet port somehow with a software update. Seems like Dtv didnt school their CSR's on people that use their own home network to use MRV and are pushing them to upgrade people to DECA which means more $$$$$$$$. Please tell me that the ethernet port on the dvr's will always work for MRV as long as MRV is activated.

I can't say absolutely, but every MRV-capable receiver except the HR-24 uses the ethernet port even with DECA (via a little ethernet pigtail from the Deca adaptor.) Those receivers have no way of knowing whether that ethernet connection goes to DECA, a CAT5 connection, a wireless bridge or whatever, and I'm almost certain that having them get internet via the co-ax connection (like the HR24) would take a hardware change, not just firmware.

So unless Direct decides to trash and replace almost all the HD DVRs out there, I think MRV via your home network is safe. (Whether it works as well as with DECA is something else.)

Slimline dish with SWM8 & OTA antenna

Living room - HR24-500 with 1Tb eSATA fed native to Panny P54VT25 Plasma (3D capable). Onkyo 804 receiver, Oppo BluRay, Squeezebox, etc.
Office - HR20-700 with 1Tb eSATA fed Native to 20" Sharp LCD.
Kitchen - HR20-700 (no external disk) fed 720p to Samsung 23" LCD,
Bedroom - HR20-700 with 750 Gb eSATA fed native to 37" LG LCD

Networking: Office is hardwire CAT5 to router. Other 3 receivers are on DECA. All other gear in Living room is on separate MOCA link using old pre-SWM SAT 2 cables

All 100% self-installed

#37 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:06 AM

I can't say absolutely, but every MRV-capable receiver except the HR-24 uses the ethernet port even with DECA (via a little ethernet pigtail from the Deca adaptor.) Those receivers have no way of knowing whether that ethernet connection goes to DECA, a CAT5 connection, a wireless bridge or whatever, and I'm almost certain that having them get internet via the co-ax connection (like the HR24) would take a hardware change, not just firmware.

So unless Direct decides to trash and replace almost all the HD DVRs out there, I think MRV via your home network is safe. (Whether it works as well as with DECA is something else.)

WRONG. They could easily turn off MRV for ethernet customers if they wanted to do so. They can simply set the MRV SERVICE flag to DISABLED if there is no DECA FLAG set to ENABLED in your account. A simple script. It wouldn't matter if your ethernet connection was enabled. MRV is a SERVICE (like HD or DVR) and can easily be switched on or off.

#38 OFFLINE   Satchaser

Satchaser

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:19 AM

What about TC+ with HD and DVR service? I dont want to try and add this for $3 and then get dinged another $1 or whatever the difference is between this and what the current equivalent package is, its barely worth it to me at $3.

I too have TC+ with HD and DVR Service. I am using a combination of wired and wireless (DVR's are wired and HD receivers wireless). I called yesterday (5/14) and was able to have it connected in about 10 minutes. I was lucky in that I had to have a replacement H21-200 activated and the CSR transferred me to Whole House Viewing.

I did not have to change anything on my programming.

Satchaser

D*TV since "94
HR20-700 -->Sony 50"
HR44-200-->Hitachi 50" LCD, HDMI
H21-100-->Panasonic 32 inch LCD, HDMI
HR23-700-->Panasonic CRT

Whole Home -- Deca, wired CCK 

#39 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:04 AM

It's hard to find???? U got to be kidding me. These CSR's jobs are to be able to do things like this. That is their job. Hard to find , my butt. And if it's so hard then how does that explain the many people that have called in and got the CSR to activate it in 5-20 minutes then those of us that takes hours. It's incompetence. It's their job, they should know how to do it!!!! Give me a break, hard to find. I can just imagine at my job if I couldnt get something done......that was my job......and told my boss : "well it's just hard". I'd be fired on the spot.

As much as we'd all like a perfect world, you've got to consider that being a low level CSR is probably a relatively poor paying job, and for this job you get to be yelled at by customers while you keep a happy face.

The unfortunate truth of the matter is that some of these folks are probably new to the job and they haven't really learned the regular stuff, let alone the special things like this one. Also, it's easy to sit back and say that it should be easy. I too think it would be easy, but I've been an IT guy for 20+ years now. I'm used to walking through support systems (have even written a few in my life) and I can quickly learn what's going on. Heck, I even helped write a procedure, including the Choice Xtra + HDDVR exception, in just over 24 hours with zero direct access to their systems. But I realize, easy for me doesn't mean easy for everyone.

Not every person is as technically inclined as the folks here. If someone asked me to scale a mountain, I'd find that to be impossible, but there are people that could go right up to it and shimmy right up .. calling it easy. Some of these CSRs mean well but it's often like trying to write with your left hand when you're right handed. It takes some effort.

The best I can offer is that it's not a perfect world and it would be great if it were. But since it's not a perfect world (a fact we know), why make it harder on yourself? Use your technical inclination to help guide the CSRs through the maze and get your problem fixed. It's a win for you and yeah, it may be a win for the CSR as well. Don't let the process frustrate you .. take it as a challenge, something to win. Success can be achieved.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#40 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:09 AM

Solid Signal and others sell DECA equipment via the retail channel .. So the unsupported method for activation will remain.

Home Networking w/Ethernet will not be going away, but I do suspect many folks here to begin the process of switching away from the older receivers and ending up with more and more DECA equipped receivers.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

spam firewall