Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Enable MRV using your home networking

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
439 replies to this topic

#421 OFFLINE   Lanthom

Lanthom

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:24 PM

Damn... I'm starting to feel like an outsider with these R22's without HD access. Such great promise but still just the litte brother that's always just trying to tag along. :nono2:

So is this not possible with an HR22 and an R22?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#422 OFFLINE   heels98

heels98

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:29 AM

So is this not possible with an HR22 and an R22?

That's what I'm getting. I have an HR23 and an R22 (with HD) and they will not activate it, saying I have to upgrade the R22 to an HD receiver. I've even had two different CSRs add MRV to my account but the computer kicks it out. It's a shame too since I participated in the Beta with no problems whatsoever.

Edited by heels98, 20 May 2010 - 06:30 AM.
spelling

#423 OFFLINE   Spicoli

Spicoli

This is only a test...

• DBSTalk Club
  • 217 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:03 AM

That's what I'm getting. I have an HR23 and an R22 (with HD) and they will not activate it, saying I have to upgrade the R22 to an HD receiver. I've even had two different CSRs add MRV to my account but the computer kicks it out. It's a shame too since I participated in the Beta with no problems whatsoever.

That's not what the CSR I talked to said. He understood that the R22's are MRV compatable. He just told me that since I didn't have an Actual HD reciever, HR2x, AND HD access I was not eligible to get MRV. Even though I currently have it working on my home network, at least until it gets turned off. :nono:

For the record I only have 3 R22's. I don't yet have an HD tv so I don't have a true HD reciever or Directv HD access.

Edited by Spicoli, 20 May 2010 - 07:09 AM.

-Jeff

#424 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:43 AM

That's not what the CSR I talked to said. He understood that the R22's are MRV compatable. He just told me that since I didn't have an Actual HD reciever, HR2x, AND HD access I was not eligible to get MRV. Even though I currently have it working on my home network, at least until it gets turned off. :nono:

For the record I only have 3 R22's. I don't yet have an HD tv so I don't have a true HD reciever or Directv HD access.

I agree. That's kinda nuts. HD or SD if MRV works let it work.
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#425 OFFLINE   Yourself

Yourself

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:13 AM

Sent an email using the generic form on D's site explaining my beta participation and my desire to have it activated. Got a response 15 minutes later confirming activation. Logged in and confirmed on my account page. Piece o'cake.

#426 OFFLINE   brian30tw

brian30tw

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:44 AM

Count me as another successful email attempt. It took about 3 hours from the time of my first email to when it was activated.

#427 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,860 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:01 AM

I got my MRV added today, and was able to keep my Total Choice + package.

This got me thinking about upgrading, though. Time to crunch numbers.

I have TC+ (legacy), and called to enable MRV this morning. There was no talk of having to upgrade or change my programming package in any way, other than me saying I don't want to lose my legacy programming package. The CSR indicated that would not be a problem. But.....

He proceeded to say I had to upgrade all my equipment...etc. I had already told him that his script was going to say that and it was wrong, and gave him Doug's instructions (in fact I told him all of this before we even started the process) He said, I'm sorry, I have the instructions right here in front of me on the screen and it says you have to upgrade. I then reminded him that I had warned him before we started that this was how it was going to go, and to try Doug's instructions.

I then said, go into the DORIS database and search for Whole Home DVR Service. He said "can I put you on hold for a bit"...sure. He came back and began apologizing for the misinformation he had given me. He said there were several new pages on DORIS and one of them explained how to enable MRV in unsupported mode. He then proceeded to read me a customer info script (that they have to read to you during an order), that actually stated MRV for you is unsupported, we will not service your network, you understand.....etc.

It was apparent to me at this point that they actually got it right! It took about 5 to 10 minutes after he enabled MRV for the BETA display on the receiver menu to disappear:

Menu > Setup > System Setup > Multi-Room

(when MRV is properly enabled, the Beta line in this menu will be gone, and there will only be 3 choices under Multi-Room:

Share Playlist
Name Location
Status

where before there was a 4th line that said Beta.

I have two things left to say:

1.I am considering the full upgrade, perhaps a month or two from now, using the full SWM/DECA approach. I need to work out a few more wrinkles in the mean time before I get completely comfortable with it.

2. When D* announced they were going to charge for MRV, I was ticked. I still find it offensive. I posted at the time, I wouldn't pay an additional dime, and I guess I kept my position, as I'm now paying an additional 30 dimes (per month), but not one dime. Perhaps this was a case of me being prematurely correct about myself....sad, really.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#428 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,860 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:08 AM

3 calls and I can't get them to activate my account. I tried to walk them through the instructions on the first page, but they can't seem to figure it out. 2 of them went to supervisors for clarity, and still could not do it..

I had a similar problem. It wasn't until I told them to access the DORIS database and search for Whole Home DVR Service, and they took the time to read the updated pages in DORIS, that they stopped telling me it couldn't be done. They even apologized for giving me the wrong info.

So, if you're having problems, tell them to bring up DORIS, and to be sure they read the updated information, as it even has a script that they read to the customer telling them that what they are ordering is unsupported, and they will not help you with your home networking issues, etc..

This was done this morning at about 9:30 a.m. central, and the CSR said they have updated DORIS policies. (maybe this will clear things up for us home networkers)

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#429 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:21 AM

email FAIL for me.

1st attempt - got a generic canned response within about an hour
2nd attempt - no response (about 16 hours now)
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#430 OFFLINE   jmcguire56

jmcguire56

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:47 AM

Email approach worked for me! I used the text from cforrest and it went through with no problems.

Awesome!

#431 OFFLINE   pappy97

pappy97

Icon

• No PM's
  • 609 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:48 AM

This is the response I got to an e-mail I sent (used a form I saw here). Is the CSR correct? I don't think I have to change packages, right??

"Thanks for writing. I understand your concerns about activating Whole-Home DVR Service. I would be glad to provide you with some important information. DIRECTV no longer offers the programming package that you subscribe to and our systems do not allow customers to add Whole-Home DVR Service to an expired package. In order to do so, you'll need to change your programming to one of our current packages. You can compare our new packages and change to the one that suits you best at directv.com/packages. In addition, please note that PLUS HD DVR is a base package that we no longer offer, but since you're already a customer, you continue to receive it. If you switch your base package from PLUS HD DVR to a different one, we will no longer be able to reinstate this package on your account. Once you have a current package, please write us back so we can add Whole-Home DVR Service to your account. For immediate assistance, you may call Customer Service at 1-800-531-5000. Thanks again for writing."
My setup (TV + DirecTV):
Master Bedroom: LG 32" 120hz LCD TV, GENIE Client
Living room: Samsung 46" 120hz LED LCD TV 7000 series, GENIE Master
Dedicated HT: Epson 8700UB projector with 150" 16:9 painted on screen and 180" 2.4:1 painted on screen, HD-DVR (HR22), Denon AVR-890, Klipsch Icon Front Speakers, Center Speaker, and Klipsch Icon Floorstanders for side and rear speakers (6 total floorstanders), subwoofer is BIC America V-1220 12" down-firing sub

#432 OFFLINE   clay_w

clay_w

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:56 AM

This is the response I got to an e-mail I sent (used a form I saw here). Is the CSR correct? I don't think I have to change packages, right??

"Thanks for writing. I understand your concerns about activating Whole-Home DVR Service. I would be glad to provide you with some important information. DIRECTV no longer offers the programming package that you subscribe to and our systems do not allow customers to add Whole-Home DVR Service to an expired package. In order to do so, you'll need to change your programming to one of our current packages. You can compare our new packages and change to the one that suits you best at directv.com/packages. In addition, please note that PLUS HD DVR is a base package that we no longer offer, but since you're already a customer, you continue to receive it. If you switch your base package from PLUS HD DVR to a different one, we will no longer be able to reinstate this package on your account. Once you have a current package, please write us back so we can add Whole-Home DVR Service to your account. For immediate assistance, you may call Customer Service at 1-800-531-5000. Thanks again for writing."

I received the same reply. Not word for word but basically saying I need to change my package before they could add it.

#433 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:59 AM

Email approach worked for me! I used the text from cforrest and it went through with no problems.

Awesome!

Giving this a shot for my 3rd attempt.
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#434 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:02 PM

I'm actually getting some indications that folks with 'Choice Xtra plus HDDVR' may have to change packages regardless of how you contact DIRECTV. Don't take this as absolute as your mileage may vary .. however, don't be shocked if this happens. I think DIRECTV is starting to learn how to do this in unsupported mode and that they are working on a more consistent approach. It will still take longer for it to become second nature, though, so I still expect posts on the inconsistency for a bit longer.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#435 OFFLINE   Spicoli

Spicoli

This is only a test...

• DBSTalk Club
  • 217 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:09 PM

Hey Doug, what are the chances of getting MRV without HD access down the road?
-Jeff

#436 OFFLINE   Rakul

Rakul

Slacker

• Registered
  • 623 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:19 PM

I'm actually getting some indications that folks with 'Choice Xtra plus HDDVR' may have to change packages regardless of how you contact DIRECTV. Don't take this as absolute as your mileage may vary .. however, don't be shocked if this happens. I think DIRECTV is starting to learn how to do this in unsupported mode and that they are working on a more consistent approach. It will still take longer for it to become second nature, though, so I still expect posts on the inconsistency for a bit longer.

This unfortunately is looking to be true, they fixed it for me with this package and I saw it turn on online, but I just lost it and I see activity online with a MVR disconnect to.
All on SWMLine:
HR22-100 > HDMI > Samsung 4665 LCD [Networked]
HR20-100S > HDMI > Samsung 4665 LCD [Networked]
HR20-700 > HDMI > Insignia NS-LCD26-09 LCD [Networked]
HR21-100 > HDMI > Samsung 26B360 LCD [Networked]
Full Setup

#437 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:34 PM

I called in and was "Authorized" last week. Just got an on screen message that Beta is over. Went to status and now it says "Not Authorized" call Directv. When I was authorized a $2.00 charge cam up on my account and I paid it with a Visa.

#438 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:45 PM

Hey Doug, what are the chances of getting MRV without HD access down the road?

Unlikely .. You're supposed to have HD to get MRV and I doubt you'd be able to find anyone that could turn it on for you.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#439 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:50 PM

This unfortunately is looking to be true, they fixed it for me with this package and I saw it turn on online, but I just lost it and I see activity online with a MVR disconnect to.

Hmmm .. Good information. If folks who think they were set are seeing this, the bundled package may be the reason.

#440 OFFLINE   wilsonc

wilsonc

Legend

• Registered
  • 235 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:55 PM

I had Choice Xtra plus HDDVR. I had the DECA hardware installed on this past Tuesday. Today, just after 2 p.m. EDT, I received a message saying the MRV beta had now ended. After being bounced around from customer serivce to technical support to programming and speaking to a supervisor, I had to change my base package from an expired package to a current package. I did not advise them on how to do it in an unsupported mode, since they installed the DECA hardware.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...