Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Enable MRV using your home networking

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
439 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,920 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:16 AM

I too have TC+ with HD and DVR Service. I am using a combination of wired and wireless (DVR's are wired and HD receivers wireless). I called yesterday (5/14) and was able to have it connected in about 10 minutes. I was lucky in that I had to have a replacement H21-200 activated and the CSR transferred me to Whole House Viewing.

I did not have to change anything on my programming.

The only package that I'm sure has a problem is the Choice Xtra + HDDVR package. All other legacy packages do not appear to have this problem (although there could be others).

The problem is that these packages have the 'HD Service' flag turned off. I suspect so that you don't get billed the $10 HD Service fee. But HD service is allowed with that package.

You can check by going into the web page and looking under 'HD Service' If it is asking you to activate, then the flag is NOT set for you.

The following flags MUST be set before you can add Whole Home DVR Service to your account .. HD Service, DVR Service, MRV Compatibility.

Those with Choice Xtra + HDDVR are missing the HD Service flag and Whole Home DVR Service will remain grayed out.

The workaround if you want to add it now (without waiting for DIRECTV to fix - or not fix - the problem) is to convert your Choice Xtra + HDDVR service to Choice Xtra with HD Service & DVR Service added. If you do this, it will cost you $1/month more for your base package. However, all of the right flags will be set now and then you can add the whole home DVR service to your account.

yes, it's a bit convoluted, but it is one way to make sure you are all set.

Edited by Doug Brott, 15 May 2010 - 09:23 AM.
typo

DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,818 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:24 AM

The only package that I'm sure has a problem is the Choice Xtra + HDDVR package. ....

The workaround if you want to add it now (without waiting for DIRECTV to fix - or not fix - the problem) is to convert your Choice Xtra + HDDVR service to Choice Xtra with HD Service & DVR Service added. If you do this, it will cost you $1/month more for your base package. However, all of the right flags will be set now and then you can add the whole home DVR service to your account.

I can testify firsthand that both the situation and solution are absolutely correct as Doug reported them in this excellent post immediately above here. Nice work on the research and resolution.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#43 OFFLINE   cadet502

cadet502

FHNSAB

• DBSTalk Club
  • 846 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:28 AM

I sent a note thru the email system hoping to avoid some time spent on the phone.

They say they'll get back to me in 48 hours. No problem there, but now I have a question.

If I activate the "unsupported" home network, and later (in a month or two when I'm not so busy) decide to go for SWM/DECA will the special upgrade pricing still be available, or did I just disqualify myself?

#44 OFFLINE   basementman

basementman

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:30 AM

Doug, thanks for your tips.

I have been on the beta for a while with my own gigabit ethernet network and have really come to depend on the MRV service. It's not perfect, but almost as good as having the file on the local drive. Most times I can't tell much of a difference at all.

My question seems simple, but here goes:

Which route will give me better performance, reliability and capabilities - using my existing ethernet, or upgrading to the DECA equipment? Or is it a wash?

I have an HR20-100, an HR20-700 and an HR21-100.

Thanks.

#45 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:58 AM

I have been on the beta for a while with my own gigabit ethernet network and have really come to depend on the MRV service. It's not perfect, but almost as good as having the file on the local drive. Most times I can't tell much of a difference at all.

Which route will give me better performance, reliability and capabilities - using my existing ethernet, or upgrading to the DECA equipment? Or is it a wash?

Thanks.

I have an HR20-100 and they are going to swap it out with a new DVR. I asked which one and she said "the new one". I took that to mean an HR24 at least I hope so. That made the deal for me so I went with DECA just for the free DVR.

#46 OFFLINE   ozonedan

ozonedan

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:24 AM

The only package that I'm sure has a problem is the Choice Xtra + HDDVR package. All other legacy packages do not appear to have this problem (although there could be others).

The problem is that these packages have the 'HD Service' flag turned off. I suspect so that you don't get billed the $10 HD Service fee. But HD service is allowed with that package.

You can check by going into the web page and looking under 'HD Service' If it is asking you to activate, then the flag is NOT set for you.

The following flags MUST be set before you can add Whole Home DVR Service to your account .. HD Service, DVR Service, MRV Compatibility.

Those will Choice Xtra + HDDVR are missing the HD Service flag and Whole Home DVR Service will remain grayed out.

yes, it's a bit convoluted, but it is one way to make sure you are all set.

Also, when you finally get to someone who knows their stuff and it gets added to your account, you will see that the "Opt in/Opt out" button on your DVR under "Multi room" will be gone.
If it won't fit force it.
If it breaks it needed replacing anyway.

#47 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,920 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:26 AM

If I activate the "unsupported" home network, and later (in a month or two when I'm not so busy) decide to go for SWM/DECA will the special upgrade pricing still be available, or did I just disqualify myself?

I have no idea .. I suspect it will be around a while, but pricing is always subject to change. Just as with anything else, if you see a good deal, you might want to jump on it while it's available.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#48 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,920 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:40 AM

You'll find that a lot of people will argue that Ethernet is "better" but here are the facts:

Ethernet is unsupported by DIRECTV, but DIRECTV has allowed a path for it to be activated. It does work and many folks are happy with the the results. You will save the $150 (or less) charge for getting DECA installed.

DECA is the supported path for DIRECTV. So any changes to infrastructure or any "fixes" that need to be done will fall into this category just fine. DECA is optimized for MRV traffic. DECA is as good as or better than any Ethernet setup for MRV.

So in basic terms, there is some overlap where it's a wash in performance between DECA/Ethernet, but on the whole, DECA will provide the more reliable/stable solution.

In your case, it is most likely a decision as to whether or not you want to spend the extra dollars & time to get DECA set up. If you're adamant against that added cost, then I'd say stick with what you have and get the service turned on using the instruction I provided. If the cost means little to you then I'd say have DECA added to your system so that both your MRV network and your home network can perform even better.

Thanks.

#49 OFFLINE   GirkMonster

GirkMonster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 252 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:15 AM

I called yesterday and despite having a CSR who hadn't done the unsupported activation...she was very patient and courteous and we walked through it. She put me on hold once to talk to tech to figure out why she wasn't finding the account activation menu. In the end, she was very appreciative of my knowledge and patience and by the time we were finished, she was confident that she could do it again for the next caller (you're welcome).

That's part of the CE process, in my opinion, helping them work out the bugs.
HR20, HR21, HR22, H21
11 TVs (6 HD, 5 SD)
3 Harmony 880s
ChannelPlus 3025 AV Distribution Modulator & IR system
SlingBox Pro
Linksys WRT610N Gateway and WRT310N, Gigabit wired LAN, couple of 8-port gigabit switches and a 5-port 10/100, NAS and some other stuff

#50 OFFLINE   jhburke

jhburke

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:28 AM

Just called DirecTV to add MRV. 1st CSR instantly transferred me to someone else. She listened to Doug Brott's instructions, and said she understood but it wouldn't work. She checked with someone else for 5 minutes, then came back and said she could do it very easily, but with a different method. Then voila, it is now activated. Maybe DirecTV has updated some of its systems to make it easier to do now.

John

#51 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:45 AM

Email seems safer to me as well. For those who were successful, what did you include? Did you add Doug's instructions? The DORIS reference?

Setup

Ken

#52 OFFLINE   hjones4841

hjones4841

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:50 AM

Again, please make sure that you don't have the Choice Xtra + HDDVR package (a legacy package no longer available) before you even call to turn on the Whole Home service. Thas is what I had and the upgrade will not work. Spent an hour with a CSR working thru this - taught her what to do using Doug's instructions. Had to upgrade package before the options showed up on her screen. Checked my account status online and the Whole Home service now appears.

Thanks, folks. Saved me $150 for the DECA install!

#53 OFFLINE   jasonc213

jasonc213

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:53 AM

Doug, your steps are "close" to what the actual screens look like, but there are a couple steps that your missing, specifically about the "account attributes" part on. I've been a tech support guy at other companies, and just in general a computer guy in my personal life, so I'm always messing around with stuff like that, but I am not in the tech support dept with DTV, however I do personally have the access to enable MRV. I know I have never been trained by DTV personally about adding the service this way, however I learned on my own. (I'm still not sure if we are technically allowed to via this method, as when we were trained what you are calling the "preferred" method, we were officially told this is the way it HAD to be done.) Your way works, but I'm just curious how you figured out how to do it that way, without any direct access to the system?

Also to note, the account attributes screen is fairly hidden, I have never personally used it, and can't think of any other use for it that any CSR in either technical, retention, or billing would even use, so I can see why people would have problems getting someone who knows where that screen is. Best thing I could say to people trying this method, is just cross your fingers when you call and hope you get someone who knows what your talking about, but try not to get upset at DTV for not training agents on an "unsupported" method similar to how were not trained on assising with adding hard drives to dvr's, etc.
DirecTV employee since 5/2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, they are not on behalf or represent DirecTV in any way.

#54 OFFLINE   gregftlaud

gregftlaud

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:22 AM

So with MRV via home networked going into unsupported phase and alot of people upgrading to DECA to get it.........will my MRV work as flawless as it does now? I have both of my hr20's hardwired to my router and never have any problems with MRV. Not even a hitch in the video.

#55 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,920 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:25 AM

Doug, your steps are "close" to what the actual screens look like, but there are a couple steps that your missing, specifically about the "account attributes" part on. I've been a tech support guy at other companies, and just in general a computer guy in my personal life, so I'm always messing around with stuff like that, but I am not in the tech support dept with DTV, however I do personally have the access to enable MRV. I know I have never been trained by DTV personally about adding the service this way, however I learned on my own. (I'm still not sure if we are technically allowed to via this method, as when we were trained what you are calling the "preferred" method, we were officially told this is the way it HAD to be done.) Your way works, but I'm just curious how you figured out how to do it that way, without any direct access to the system?

Also to note, the account attributes screen is fairly hidden, I have never personally used it, and can't think of any other use for it that any CSR in either technical, retention, or billing would even use, so I can see why people would have problems getting someone who knows where that screen is. Best thing I could say to people trying this method, is just cross your fingers when you call and hope you get someone who knows what your talking about, but try not to get upset at DTV for not training agents on an "unsupported" method similar to how were not trained on assising with adding hard drives to dvr's, etc.

Thanks for the insight .. As for how I figured it out, it was by trial and error and a really good/patient/persistent CSR. I kept giving him hints based on what I'd been told, but had no idea on how to make it happen. Once he figured it out on the system, I asked how it was accomplished and the instructions were born.

Bottom line is that a CSR helped me out with the instructions as I needed to do this myself. I actually have DECA already and needed to get the service turned on.

I have no doubt that it is a never-used menu. Apparently the ONLY flag that can be set in that screen is MRV-Compatibility. That just became available 2 days ago so until then, there would have never been a reason to use that menu and in fact, that menu may not have even existed before two days ago. I just don't know.

The other piece was the Choice Xtra + HDDVR issue. Whole Home DVR Service needs the HD Flag set, but apparently it is left unset if you have Choice Xtra + HDDVR. That caused a second set of problems.

So to answer your specific question: "I'm just curious how you figured out how to do it that way, without any direct access to the system?" .. This is actually what I'm good at. Identifying flaws in existing processes and improving efficiency. For me it really wasn't that hard, but I completely understand why this is complicated for a lot of folks.

Hopefully my instruction saved (and continues to save) the CSRs a whole lot of time and frustration.

#56 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,920 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:27 AM

So with MRV via home networked going into unsupported phase and alot of people upgrading to DECA to get it.........will my MRV work as flawless as it does now? I have both of my hr20's hardwired to my router and never have any problems with MRV. Not even a hitch in the video.

Should work fine for the foreseeable future .. If you are happy now, I wouldn't worry too much. There may come a time where that changes, but you may have all HR24s at that point anyway and it wouldn't show up as an issue. In other words, don't let it bother you, just enjoy MRV :)

#57 OFFLINE   jasonc213

jasonc213

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:39 AM

Did you eventually get the MRV Service added to your account?
DirecTV employee since 5/2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, they are not on behalf or represent DirecTV in any way.

#58 OFFLINE   limestone

limestone

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:43 AM

Again, please make sure that you don't have the Choice Xtra + HDDVR package (a legacy package no longer available) before you even call to turn on the Whole Home service. Thas is what I had and the upgrade will not work. Spent an hour with a CSR working thru this - taught her what to do using Doug's instructions. Had to upgrade package before the options showed up on her screen. Checked my account status online and the Whole Home service now appears.

Thanks, folks. Saved me $150 for the DECA install!

Same with me... had to change to a standard package. One additional quirk - apparently somehow "mrv compatibility" had already been created on my account. I kept trying to tell the csr to select/add it, and she kept trying to select/add it again (bless her) without realizing we could have skipped that step and just checked "u" for unsupported.

First csr couldn't do it and sent me to technical support. Total time = 90 minutes. But I'm good to go, and "beta" has disappeared and everything is working.

Thanks to all of you and especially Doug!
HR22/100, H21/100, Linksys WRT54G, slimline

#59 OFFLINE   hjones4841

hjones4841

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:50 AM

Same with me... had to change to a standard package. One additional quirk - apparently somehow "mrv compatibility" had already been created on my account. I kept trying to tell the csr to select/add it, and she kept trying to select/add it again (bless her) without realizing we could have skipped that step and just checked "u" for unsupported.

First csr couldn't do it and sent me to technical support. Total time = 90 minutes. But I'm good to go, and "beta" has disappeared and everything is working.

Thanks to all of you and especially Doug!

I got lucky and had a very patient and curteous CSR (thinking back, I don't really remember getting one that wasn't). I did have to tell her a couple of times about the required package change and had to read Doug's instructions a couple of times. Turned out she already had the DORIS instructions up - she just could not make the change until the package was changed to a non-legacy one.

Patience on your part is also the key. It is apparent that they haven't been adequately trained. At least one more CSR now knows what to do:)

#60 OFFLINE   syphix

syphix

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:18 PM

I changed my plan online from the legacy Choice Xtra+HDDVR to the Choice Xtra package. HD Access & DVR service stayed active automatically, and it allowed me to activate Whole Home DVR Service on my own (verified by the removal of "beta" on my DVR's multiroom settings).

All in all, my bill will be $4 more instead of $3 more, but it was a LOT easier and less of a headache than calling and dealing with DirecTV's CSR's for another 40 minutes. I spent a total of 75 minutes on the phone with them yesterday trying to avoid changing packages. One CSR claimed she couldn't do it because it didn't show on my account that I already had a SWiM. I tried to tell her that a SWiM is not necessary for MRV. We went around in circles for minutes until I conceded to her "knowledge" on the matter. ;)
Nathan
setup:
- 50" Plasma 1080p HDTV (Samsung PN50A760), 46" LCD 1080p HDTV (Samsung LN-T4665F), 32" LCD 720p HDTV (Insignia). 1 Hopper, 2 Joeys.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...