Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Enable MRV using your home networking

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
439 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 01:10 PM

I foresee one new & one slightly used SWM8 showing up on fleabay real soon. :lol:

You really are awesome VOS. Don't forget that.

SWM8 will go nicely in the motorhome. All I will need is one more DECA, two if I decide to add a third box.

Perhaps DirecTV can sponsor me. ;) :P

(I was told no SWM16 for me on this run)
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 01:17 PM

BTW-I have the Premier package and only one of my five boxes do not have an internet connection. That one is an H20-100 which is working fine. How would I upgrade that one without incurring an additional charge/extension of the contract?

Any new receiver you get is going to have a 24 month contract with it, including an H20 to H21-24 upgrade for Whole Home DVR.
DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#123 OFFLINE   Everyperson

Everyperson

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 01:18 PM

From the folks at Solid Signal: Look at Specs.

http://www.solidsign...Components&sku=

#124 OFFLINE   Game Fan

Game Fan

Baseball Is Life

• DBSTalk Club
  • 738 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 01:22 PM

I just spent 30 minutes on the phone with a front line CSR. Bless her heart, she had no clue and couldn't follow the instructions. I could tell she was getting frustrated. She finally transferred me to technical. Took about ten minutes and he had me set up. He did try to get me to go the DECA route. I politely said no thanks.

For everyone trying this. Be patient and above all else, BE NICE. The CSR's obviously haven't been trained to do this. Good luck!

#125 OFFLINE   TOakley1

TOakley1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 01:33 PM

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. The CSR I called didn't know how to set it up without DECA, but was more than willing to listen. I gave her Doug's instructions and she found it right away.

She was very grateful to learn how to enable the MRV flag since she had been receiving a lot of calls and couldn't help anyone without scheduling DECA installs.

#126 OFFLINE   boatbumm

boatbumm

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:05 PM

Thanks to all for sharing their knowledge and experience in this thread!

Using Doug's script in Post #1, I was able to explain to the CSR what I wanted, and to get her to look for the "Account Attributes" drop down selection. She said she didn't have that option, and would have to get her supervisor to do it. After about 5 min on hold, the call dropped. :(

Now begins call #2, about 20 min later. Different CSR, same request, and she came back with "it's already activated on your account." Checked the HR20-700 I was sitting in front of, and lo and behold, the "Authorized" magic word was there in the Multi-Room Status screen and all beta references were gone.

Bottom line is that call #1 did the trick, even with the disconnect! :)

-Parker

Edited by boatbumm, 16 May 2010 - 02:06 PM.
Spelling

#127 OFFLINE   jpx5

jpx5

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts
  • LocationCentral New Jersey

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:34 PM

Call took about 10 min. The CSR knew what I was talking about. He suggested that I might NOT want to use my home network because it would not be suppported by Directv. I told him I have been using MRV in beta with no trouble, he said OK and an hour later my DVRs were authorized.

Jeff
Sat - AU9-S

SWM16 broadbandDECA

Network Linksys WRT54GS
HR34-700, HR24-500, 2 HR24-100's
WHDVR

#128 OFFLINE   infounlim

infounlim

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:29 PM

Sigh. for any CSR's (or customers looking to get this done..)... its in DORIS. keyword mrv service > Adding Whole Home DVR Service.
click on:
3: If customers insist on adding Whole-Home DVR Service without the upgrade:
and follow the instructions completely.

This worked for me. Completed call in about 8 min.

#129 OFFLINE   LGM2007

LGM2007

Godfather

• Registered
  • 261 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:50 PM

Apparently the word--and process--is getting out. When I called, I was told the CSR can no longer get into the Accounts Attributes, but they had another way of doing it now. This was the first one Marco has done and it took about 3 minutes and I had Multi-Room Authorized. He even quoted DBSTalk, and said you just saved yourself $150--but of course are unsupported. I thanked him and he thanked me for showing him something.
My Setup
Enjoy Talking About the Mets? Try The Happy Recap.

#130 OFFLINE   gregftlaud

gregftlaud

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:22 PM

Something odd/interesting happened in the setup menu for the multi view status on my dvr's. When I had the CSR add the 3/month charge and activate MRV on my dvr's .....the status changed from beta to activated. Now it says authorized. Is that normal?

Greg

#131 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:37 PM

Something odd/interesting happened in the setup menu for the multi view status on my dvr's. When I had the CSR add the 3/month charge and activate MRV on my dvr's .....the status changed from beta to activated. Now it says authorized. Is that normal?

Greg

Yes Im seeing the same thing now

JACK,

#132 OFFLINE   HRJustin

HRJustin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:47 PM

well I finally got a CSR willing to listen to me and find where to set the unsupported flag. Of course I pretty much knew it wouldn't work because HD access is required. So much for that requirement being waved in local 72 swap markets since I also have a currently offered programming package. I guess I am out of luck for having MRV now until we actually need the HD service. Its a shame they could have made the $3 more a month for MRV at least. So for me to use MRV in my market I basically need to pay $13 even though I have all HD capable equipment. I have had MRV working great since i hooked it up hardwired without HD access this far. :nono2::nono2::(:(

EDIT: If someone else here is a CSR and can confirm that the HD flag is required to add the MRV charge please let me know. It just seems like a shame to force HD on me just to be able to use MRV on my own network. I could see forcing HD if they need to come out and do a DECA install.

Edited by HRJustin, 16 May 2010 - 05:12 PM.

**Living Room - H24-x00** **My Room - HR22-100** **Master Bedroom - R22-100**
***I am in a 72.5 local swap market I do not subscribe to HD access***

**Complete Setup Here**

#133 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:26 PM

Just got off the phone with a CSR and told here about Dougs script and she knew how to do it. For some reason the system gave here a bit of hard time but she got around it and set it up. I went to the web site and is on my account. Great job on her part, done in one call!

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#134 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:53 PM

Glad to hear most of you are getting it done successfully with somewhat minimal hassle :)
DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#135 OFFLINE   gregftlaud

gregftlaud

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:04 PM

Maybe the CSR's are getting training on the homenetworking people......or so many of us are calling in to activate it word is spreading in the csr call centers.

#136 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:42 PM

.........EDIT: If someone else here is a CSR and can confirm that the HD flag is required to add the MRV charge please let me know. It just seems like a shame to force HD on me just to be able to use MRV on my own network. I could see forcing HD if they need to come out and do a DECA install.

I think I've seen Doug already post this a couple of times over several of the current MRV threads. He's not a CSR...but i would certainly take his word on it.
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#137 OFFLINE   rrrick8

rrrick8

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:46 PM

Glad to hear most of you are getting it done successfully with somewhat minimal hassle :)

Maybe the CSR's are getting training on the homenetworking people......or so many of us are calling in to activate it word is spreading in the csr call centers.

That's why I've been waiting until the last couple of days before I call. Let the CSR's get some on-the-job-training.

I'll call tomorrow.
--------------------------------------------

MY SETUP

Vermilionweather.com

#138 OFFLINE   Mr.Pibb

Mr.Pibb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:48 PM

OK, I just spent probably 30 minutes on the phone with a CSR. I called in, using the script. Since I had an older package, eventually she had to put me on the newer package at $1 more a month. She REALLY wanted to figure it out, and was reading comments from other orders and entries from other CSR's. In the end, she finally figured it out, and REPEATEDLY thanked me for being patient and for "teaching her" something. She also made a comment that they rolled out this new service without giving them any training on it. Just a reminder (it's in the instructions)...they have to log out of your account completely and then go back in for it to show for them. She just tried a "refresh" initially and it still didn't show that she could turn this service on.

Anyway, I came away from the whole call very satisfied with the level of service this CSR delivered.

#139 OFFLINE   webcrawlr

webcrawlr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:16 PM

No instructions or guidance needed for me. Simply said I was part of the beta and wanted Whole Home DVR Services without DECA. I was placed on hold for about 5 minutes and he came back and said I was all set. About 30 seconds later I logged in to my account and it shows being enabled. Thanks Doug for making this thread with the heads up (and to everyone else that provided input)!

#140 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 261 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:06 PM

I can also report success via the email method... First email sent Friday, and they responded back saying they can activate the service but they strongly recommended the DECA upgrade and if I did not opt for the upgrade, it would be unsupported. They asked me to reply back comfirming I was aware of this and that I definately just wanted the service activated. I replied back thanking them for the information, and I was indeed confirming I wanted it activated as 'unsupported'. Just checked today, and it is now enabled on the website, and beta is gone from my menus. All looks good.

spam firewall