Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Upgrade to MRV/DECA

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bigwad

bigwad

Godfather

• Registered
  • 379 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:57 AM

I know this question has been answered, probably many times here. But with the Ethernet connections, etc, I'm confused as hell. So if this question is redundant, I apologize.

I have 2 HR20's and an older SD DVR. I have a bigger dish, but it has the sidecar LNB's and I get some pixelating and audio loss occasionally. My neighbor has a newer dish and according to the guy installing it, the sidecar LNB's are my problem.

I want to add another HD DVR and an HD receiver to use thru 4 rooms using the 2 existing HR20's I already have. If I upgrade to the MRV:

1. Will I get the HR24, or will I get whatever they have available on the truck? I haven't yet been able to figure out thru reading whether the HR24 is required or not. I'm thinking it is not a requirement, leaving me at their mercy.

2. Will I be able to get, by request or not, an upgrade on the sidecar dish I have?

3. Will they install a new switch? I'm not sure which I currently have, so this may be a dumb question. :)

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated or just a point to a current post that can answer my questions. Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,835 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:00 AM

I'm moving this to the connected home forum. There are a lot of helpful threads there.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:05 AM

I know this question has been answered, probably many times here. But with the Ethernet connections, etc, I'm confused as hell. So if this question is redundant, I apologize.

I have 2 HR20's and an older SD DVR. I have a bigger dish, but it has the sidecar LNB's and I get some pixelating and audio loss occasionally. My neighbor has a newer dish and according to the guy installing it, the sidecar LNB's are my problem.

I want to add another HD DVR and an HD receiver to use thru 4 rooms using the 2 existing HR20's I already have. If I upgrade to the MRV:

1. Will I get the HR24, or will I get whatever they have available on the truck? I haven't yet been able to figure out thru reading whether the HR24 is required or not. I'm thinking it is not a requirement, leaving me at their mercy.

2. Will I be able to get, by request or not, an upgrade on the sidecar dish I have?

3. Will they install a new switch? I'm not sure which I currently have, so this may be a dumb question. :)

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated or just a point to a current post that can answer my questions. Thanks

• the odds are better that you'll get a HR24, but they're not 100%
  • the sidecar will get replaced with a slimline & SWiM
  • If you have more than eight tuners, then the SWiM LNB wouldn't be used and a "switch" would be.

A.K.A VOS

#4 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,394 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:13 AM

the odds are better that you'll get a HR24, but they're not 100%

Aren't the odds somewhere in the <70% range?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:17 AM

Pulling more "data" out of your rear end again?
I'm not going to post internal information on this here, but the 24s are earmarked for DECA/MRV installs/upgrades.
If the installer's stock is short, then this won't be 100%.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:22 AM

If I put an SWM system in, can I retain my home network based MRV system, and not use the DECA based MRV system?

I ask this because I have two separate dishes. I need one more tuner for the "main" system, and want to upgrade it to SWM. I want to leave the other dish and system "alone". Because I'm using wired/wireless home networking very successfully for MRV now, I don't want to complicate issues ....like trying to link two different dishes onto a single DECA based system.

I don't want to break what's already working perfectly. All I want is to have is the dish replaced (for SWM) on the main system and SWM implemented for 2 HD DVRs and 1 HD receiver on that system.

The topography looks like this:

Main System: (Home Theater Room)

AT9 Dish
HR20-700 hardwired to router/switch (right next to the HR21-200 below)
HR21-200 hardwired to router/switch
H21-200 wireless N to router/switch 30' away

Secondary System: (North End of House Room)

Slimline Dish
HR20-100 wireless N to router/switch 80' away

The above two systems are linked (obviously) via wireless, so I have full MRV functionality between the two systems, even though they are on two different dishes. I don't think this can easily be done if I went to DECA and SWM on both systems.

So, the basic question is:

Can I leave the Secondary System as it is, leave the Main System as it is (i.e., home networking), but change the Main System to use SWM, so I have enough tuners? Are SWM and DECA linkage a requirement with an SWM upgrade, or is DECA just an add-on that I could forgo and continue to use my own fully functioning in-home network?

I know I could put a multi-switch on the main system to get more tuners, but that would require pulling another line through the walls, which could be completely avoided by going SWM.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:25 AM

DECA needs SWM, but SWM doesn't need DECA, so unsupported MRV is still an option.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:29 AM

DECA needs SWM, but SWM doesn't need DECA, so unsupported MRV is still an option.

Way cool! So there is no reason not to go ahead with my preferred plan, or do you see a fly in the ointment that I'm not considering?

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:32 AM

Way cool! So there is no reason not to go ahead with my preferred plan, or do you see a fly in the ointment that I'm not considering?

Wireless networking, but knowing you that isn't your problem. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   bigwad

bigwad

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 379 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:39 AM

Thanks all, I'm making the call this afternoon!

#11 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:45 AM

Why are you using 2 different dishes? You don't have more than 8 tuners so your setup really would be a lot simpler if you just changed to SWM and DECA running off one dish for all of your equipment.

Even if you had more than 8 tuners they could just set you up with a SWM16 and you could still use SWM and DECA off one dish.

#12 ONLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:52 AM

From the empirical data (and what I know) I'd say the odds are greater than 70% (but are not 100%) that a connected home system will receive an H24 or HR24 as a new receiver.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#13 OFFLINE   rjdude

rjdude

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:08 AM

In the DECA cloud, I know the band stop filter is placed between the SWM and the first splitter; do you need DECA or filters for any NON-DECA receivers (e.g. H20)? I have two older H20's that don't support DECA (no ethernet ports). Do I have to worry about these within the cloud?

#14 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:39 AM

In the DECA cloud, I know the band stop filter is placed between the SWM and the first splitter; do you need DECA or filters for any NON-DECA receivers (e.g. H20)? I have two older H20's that don't support DECA (no ethernet ports). Do I have to worry about these within the cloud?

Bandstop filters are needed.
Receivers with DECA block the signal from reaching the SAT tuner. Any receiver without DECA needs a blocking filter to do the same.
A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   waylonrobert

waylonrobert

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:39 AM

Pretty sure those receivers will need to be upgraded if you want them to be used for MRV, as DECA still requires an ethernet port.

#16 OFFLINE   uncouth

uncouth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:43 AM

Have a related question, mainly: I have an older HR20-100 and a DECA upgrade scheduled. I've been hearing there's a lot of issues with the HR20 and DECA. Is it likely the receiver will be swapped out? Should I ask or insist on it if not?

On one hand, wife doesn't want to lose recordings.
On the other, I don't want MRV issues...

#17 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:44 AM

Pretty sure those receivers will need to be upgraded if you want them to be used for MRV, as DECA still requires an ethernet port.

This is true to have them "work" with MRV & would be swapped for H21/23/24s as part of the DECA/MRV upgrade package.
If the customer doesn't want MRV to these receivers, then a bandstop filter can be used and the H20s will work fine on the SWM system.
A.K.A VOS

#18 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:46 AM

Have a related question, mainly: I have an older HR20-100 and a DECA upgrade scheduled. I've been hearing there's a lot of issues with the HR20 and DECA. Is it likely the receiver will be swapped out? Should I ask or insist on it if not?

On one hand, wife doesn't want to lose recordings.
On the other, I don't want MRV issues...

"Insist" isn't an option.
I can't say "most" have problems that can't be resolved. "Some" have had problems, but this would be dealt with on a case by case basis.
A.K.A VOS

#19 OFFLINE   uncouth

uncouth

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:48 AM

"Insist" isn't an option.
I can't say "most" have problems that can't be resolved. "Some" have had problems, but this would be dealt with on a case by case situation.

Thanks for the quick reply. I suppose I'll see how it goes down tomorrow. Having it swapped out would likely land me on the couch for a night or two anyhow. :P Too many shows on that box.

#20 OFFLINE   rjdude

rjdude

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:03 AM

Bandstop filters are needed.
Receivers with DECA block the signal from reaching the SAT tuner. Any receiver without DECA needs a blocking filter to do the same.

Thanks... I must have looked at the Multi-Room Viewing Receiver Compatibility list many times (as well all of the other DECA related information) and I can now see the answer was right there all along.

spam firewall