Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

? for those who have had the install done

stuttering

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:19 PM

Hi - some questions:
1. How is MRV working compared to Ethernet?
2. How is DirecTV on Demand working
3. How is Media Share working compared to wired/wireless Ethernet?
4. Are you happy with the service?

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,847 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:29 PM

Hi - some questions:
1. How is MRV working compared to Ethernet?

Not a huge completely noticeable difference. My network traffic is down significantly though.

2. How is DirecTV on Demand working

Possibly a little faster than via Ethernet. Haven't timed it though.

3. How is Media Share working compared to wired/wireless Ethernet?

No difference with wired Ethernet

4. Are you happy with the service?

Absolutely
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   am7crew

am7crew

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:39 PM

good to know, thanks for answering. Im getting mine install a week from Wednesday.

#4 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:47 PM

I'm wondering about the comparison to wireless. I have one HR20-700 with a Linksys wireless bridge, the other HR20-700 is directly connected. HDTV on MRV between the two never worked well for me.

#5 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,983 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:03 PM

Wireless never worked at all for me with MRV and poorly with Media Share. 85 Mbps powerline worked for SD, but not HD. DECA works great here for all network apps.

#6 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:04 PM

I'm wondering about the comparison to wireless. I have one HR20-700 with a Linksys wireless bridge, the other HR20-700 is directly connected. HDTV on MRV between the two never worked well for me.

You're going to be very happy! :D
MRV on DECA or wired Ethernet (at least my Gigabit Ethernet) is flawless. Trickplay is a little slower than on the local DVR.

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#7 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,847 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:18 PM

When we first started testing MRV I experimented with Wireless N. Even using a dual band bridge and router on the 5Ghz band didn't help. Performance was very poor.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,000 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:33 PM

For me wireless worked great, one way. My install is on Monday, looking forward to true MRV.

#9 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:39 PM

Wife and kid love the DECA MRV. Eithernet and wireless would lock up and freeze a lot. No issues with DECA.

#10 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:09 AM

Advice time - I'm seeing a lot of folks having major installer issues... I'm thinking I should wait a month or two. What do you think?

#11 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:32 AM

I was in a test market but install was simple and straight forward. With the help of this forum I would think you would be ok as long as the installer brings you the correct equipment.

#12 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,985 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:34 AM

Advice time - I'm seeing a lot of folks having major installer issues... I'm thinking I should wait a month or two. What do you think?

What's your current set up? We can help teach you what you'll need in case you need to help the installer.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#13 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:54 AM

What's your current set up? We can help teach you what you'll need in case you need to help the installer.

Oh, good -- you can do this for me, then :-). I'm worried the installer won't get it right. As far as I know, all he's got to do is change out the multiswitch for a SWM, exchange the H20 for a newer H model, remove one cable from each of the DVR's that have two cables, & add the DECA.

We have:

1 HR22 with 2 cables & 2 BBC's
1 HR20-700 with 2 cables & 2 BBC's
1 HR20-700 with one cable & one BBC (set as a single tuner. I'll have to change that when the SWM is connected)
1 H20 with one cable & one BBC

The only exchange is the H20 for a newer H box. Will the BBC's remain on each box & which tuner will need to be hooked up (since I believe only 1 cable will be needed after the SWM upgrade). And does the DECA go before or after the BBC.

#14 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,792 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:58 AM

Oh, good -- you can do this for me, then :-). I'm worried the installer won't get it right. As far as I know, all he's got to do is change out the multiswitch for a SWM, exchange the H20 for a newer H model, remove one cable from each of the DVR's that have two cables, & add the DECA.

We have:

1 HR20-700 with one cable & one BBC (set as a single tuner. I'll have to change that when the SWM is connected)

The only exchange is the H20 for a newer H box. Will the BBC's remain on each box & which tuner will need to be hooked up (since I believe only 1 cable will be needed after the SWM upgrade). And does the DECA go before or after the BBC.

With the change to SWiM, ALL BBCs get removed.
A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,985 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:59 AM

We have:

1 HR20-700 with one cable & one BBC

You won't have BBCs anymore with SWM. You'll have 4 DECAs (5 if you want the internet to get to each receiver).
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#16 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:07 AM

Thanks to both of you for the response. For the SWM change out -- all he has to do is remove the current multiswitch & install the SWM? And which tuner does the one cable go to after the change out.

#17 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,792 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:10 AM

Thanks to both of you for the response. For the SWM change out -- all he has to do is remove the current multiswitch & install the SWM? And which tuner does the one cable go to after the change out.

Most likely he'll swap the LNB to a SWMLNB, remove the switch and use splitters to feed all your receivers. The SAT #1 is all that get connected, since the DVRs are split internally to feed both tuners.
A.K.A VOS

#18 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,985 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:10 AM

He'll either swap the LNB for a SWM LNB and add a SWM splitter, or swap the multiswitch for a SWM switch.

It's connected to Sat 1.

#19 OFFLINE   DirteeBirds

DirteeBirds

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:11 AM

I have a lot of stuttering when playing a recorded tv show. I have a HR23 with the recordings and am watching them on a H23 receiver. I didn't notice any stuttering when using the beta MRV.

Here is my network/DECA setup:

From my router I have 1 connection going to my PC, 1 connection going to a 4 port hub at my entertainment center in the living room. From the hub I have 1 connection going to the 1st network port on the HR23 DVR, 1 to an Xbox 360, and 1 to a PS3. There is a DECA module at the DVR connecting to the 2nd port, and a DECA module at each of my 2 other H23 HD receivers.

Anyone else having stuttering problems?

#20 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,792 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:14 AM

I have a lot of stuttering when playing a recorded tv show. I have a HR23 with the recordings and am watching them on a H23 receiver. I didn't notice any stuttering when using the beta MRV.

Here is my network/DECA setup:

From my router I have 1 connection going to my PC, 1 connection going to a 4 port hub at my entertainment center in the living room. From the hub I have 1 connection going to the 1st network port on the HR23 DVR, 1 to an Xbox 360, and 1 to a PS3. There is a DECA module at the DVR connecting to the 2nd port, and a DECA module at each of my 2 other H23 HD receivers.

Anyone else having stuttering problems?

If this is a hub and not a switch, then that is the problem.
A.K.A VOS

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stuttering

Protected By... spam firewall...And...