Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Will this work? DECA related

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   UPEngineer

UPEngineer

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:17 PM

Hello all,

Have a question.

I want to install an upgrade for the whole home deca package. Don't need an HR24 nor do I need a truck roll because my wife is gone for a couple of weeks and I will not be home until late at nights.

Basically, I have two HR21 and 1 R22 with SWiM dish.

I have tried to have them just ship me the DECA units but so far, no dice.

I have all receivers except one networked with Cat5e cable and MRV working great.

I was going to order DECA adapters from Solid Signal.

Can I get just 2 of them (one for the un-networked receiver and 1 for the router) and hook them up. This way, the un-networked receiver will be hooked up and the others will still work with the Cat 5 cabling?

Or since I do DECA on one receiver, I have to do them on all of them?

Sorry if it this is confusing but basically 2 with Cat5 ethernet and 1 with DECA.

Any help would be appreciated.

Scott

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:22 PM

Should work. The DECA just breaks the network signal out of the coax and routes it to the ethernet port. As long as your router is uPNP, and the others are working now, you should just be able to do it just fine.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   aandjw

aandjw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:42 PM

Ask D to reimburse you for the cost of the stuff from Solid Signal. I got them to pay for 3 DECA and 1 PI ($143)......

#4 OFFLINE   UPEngineer

UPEngineer

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:01 PM

Ask D to reimburse you for the cost of the stuff from Solid Signal. I got them to pay for 3 DECA and 1 PI ($143)......

Really, Sweet...... Did you just call them up and ask them to do this? What was there response since they supply them?

I will have to try that.

#5 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,555 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:04 AM

On a side note:
Do the DECA adapters have to be connected near the DVR?
I already have ethernet wall connections at each DVR and was thinking that the DECA adapter could be connected in my basement where the coax and ethernat currently are.
This would unclutter the back of my equipment rack.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#6 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:40 AM

On a side note:
Do the DECA adapters have to be connected near the DVR?
I already have ethernet wall connections at each DVR and was thinking that the DECA adapter could be connected in my basement where the coax and ethernat currently are.
This would unclutter the back of my equipment rack.

They come with a 6" ethernet cable. Your DirecTv coax from the splitter screws into the DECA, then you have two lines from the DECA, a 6" coax and a 6" ethernet. It might work to put it elsewhere and run parallel coax/ethernet runs to the DVR, but I dont know anyone who has tried it.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#7 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:44 AM

Hello all,
I was going to order DECA adapters from Solid Signal.

Can I get just 2 of them (one for the un-networked receiver and 1 for the router) and hook them up. This way, the un-networked receiver will be hooked up and the others will still work with the Cat 5 cabling?

Or since I do DECA on one receiver, I have to do them on all of them?

Sorry if it this is confusing but basically 2 with Cat5 ethernet and 1 with DECA.

Any help would be appreciated.

Non-24 receivers (SD and HD) must have a Band Stop filter to remove the high level 500-600 MHz DECA signals (the DECA itself provides this function when connected to a receiver). So order Band Stop filters for the CAT5-attached receivers (and one for the SWM, if it doesn't have a green sticker), and a power supply for the network interface DECA.

Or, if you're adventurous and one of your CAT5-attached receivers is near your router or a switch with an extra connection, put the DECA in line with the receiver coax connection (which simultaneously powers the DECA and is a Band Stop filter), then plug the Ethernet cable from the DECA into the router/switch (leave the receiver connected to the router/switch). Voilla! Internet connection with no additional splitter and no power supply. (Yes, I've done this, it works, but as always, YMMV.)

This, of course, is unsupported, but no more unsupported than using your Home Network or DIY DECA.

Edited by dwcolvin, 15 May 2010 - 08:53 AM.

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#8 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:01 AM

UPEngineer, you can do this, and if you ever get an HR24 down the road to replace one of your receivers, you can then run all DECA. You will still need to call DIRECTV and use the instruction I gave for getting Whole Home DVR Service activated.

You will need the following:
1 DECA - for your un-networked receiver
1 DECA + Power Inserter - for your broadband connection

Broadband DECA - The open coax connection (on right side of image) will be connected into your SWiM network via either an open port on your existing splitter or by adding a new splitter.
http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1273935586

Attached Thumbnails

• BroadbandDECA.JPG

DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:04 AM

Or, if you're adventurous and one of your CAT5-attached receivers is near your router or a switch with an extra connection, put the DECA in line with the receiver coax connection (which simultaneously powers the DECA and is a Band Stop filter), then plug the Ethernet cable from the DECA into the router/switch (leave the receiver connected to the router/switch). Voilla! Internet connection with no additional splitter and no power supply. (Yes, I've done this, it works, but as always, YMMV.)

Yeah, this should actually work and you wouldn't need the BSF or the power inserter. If there is only the single network connection at the networked receiver, a small Ethernet switch will need to be added so that you can plug both the receiver and the DECA into it.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#10 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:11 AM

Yeah, this should actually work and you wouldn't need the BSF or the power inserter. If there is only the single network connection at the networked receiver, a small Ethernet switch will need to be added so that you can plug both the receiver and the DECA into it.

Yes, it actually does work, just don't forget the Band Stop Filters for anything not DECA connected... the consequences can be anywhere from 'nothing' (it actually works) to a 'completely non-functional receiver' (one or both tuners don't work, presumably depending on what SWM channels it's using and the robustness of the particular receiver's tuner). We learned this the hard way.

Edited by dwcolvin, 15 May 2010 - 09:41 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:22 AM

Yes, it actually does work, but don't forget the Band Stop Filters for anything not DECA connected... the consequences can be anywhere from 'nothing' to a 'completely non-functional receiver' (presumably depending on what SWM channels it's using). We learned this the hard way.

Oh certainly, but if he only has the two receivers on his system its' fine. It might be a good idea to put a BSF just after the output from the SWiM as well.

The "funky" connected DECA using power from the networked receiver shouldn't need a BSF as everything is siphoned off by the DECA. The BSF would be used on any other receivers beyond the two that the OP was referring to.

#12 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:37 AM

Oh certainly, but if he only has the two receivers on his system its' fine. It might be a good idea to put a BSF just after the output from the SWiM as well.

The "funky" connected DECA using power from the networked receiver shouldn't need a BSF as everything is siphoned off by the DECA. The BSF would be used on any other receivers beyond the two that the OP was referring to.

He has 3 receivers, so he would need 1 BS filter for one of the networked receivers, one DECA for the non-networked one, and 1 DECA for the "funky" networked/DECA network interface one (and maybe a BS filter for the SWM).

This is so much easier (or should be) if you let DirecTV do it, but so much fun if you DIY :lol:

Edited by dwcolvin, 15 May 2010 - 09:45 AM.

#13 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:45 AM

OK, so there you go .. The BOM

2 DECAs
2 BSFs
(maybe a network switch depending on port availability @ receivers)

#14 OFFLINE   UPEngineer

UPEngineer

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:53 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I went ahead and ordered 4 DECA adapters. One for each receiver and one for the internet connection.

I already had the power inserter so I should be good there.

One thing though after reading these posts. I have the SWM LNB for my dish. Where would I find the green sticker? I got it when they first came out, so I am assuming it probably doesn't have the green sticker. I guess I need to order the Band Stop filter???

BTW, I did get them to activate my service so I should be good to go. But, whenever I get the DECA installed and working correctly, do I need to call back and get them to remove the "u" flag or since they did not install it won't matter?

Anyways, thanks for all your help! I love doing this DIY stuff and seeing how all the stuff works.

Scott

#15 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,004 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:02 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I went ahead and ordered 4 DECA adapters. One for each receiver and one for the internet connection.

One thing though after reading these posts. I have the SWM LNB for my dish. Where would I find the green sticker? I got it when they first came out, so I am assuming it probably doesn't have the green sticker. I guess I need to order the Band Stop filter???

BTW, I did get them to activate my service so I should be good to go. But, whenever I get the DECA installed and working correctly, do I need to call back and get them to remove the "u" flag or since they did not install it won't matter?

Anyways, thanks for all your help! I love doing this DIY stuff and seeing how all the stuff works.

Scott

I've got an extra band stop filter if you want and I'll be in Chickasha tomorrow.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#16 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:05 AM

You do realize you're going to be paying more to DIY than for D* to do it, don't you?

The green sticker is visible on the bottom of the LNB, but it's fairly recent, so you can presume you don't have one. So order a Band Stop filter, and put it between the dish and the first splitter.

We're having enough trouble getting the "u" flag turned on! ;)
As long as this is DIY DECA, it should remain "u"... you don't have all the DECA-blessed components (e.g., green-label splitters, not that it matters).

#17 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:39 AM

All DIY installs should be set to 'u' even if you use DECA.

#18 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,713 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:05 PM

Non-24 receivers (SD and HD) must have a Band Stop filter to remove the high level 500-600 MHz DECA signals (the DECA itself provides this function when connected to a receiver).

The only "Non-24" unit that requires the BSF is the HR20-100.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#19 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:09 PM

Not quite true.
ANY receiver without a DECA and on the same SWiM [think SD] needs to have the filter.
A.K.A VOS

#20 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:16 PM

That is not true. On a 'hybrid' network, with some receivers Ethernet Connected and some DECA connected, all non-24 receivers on the SWM need either a DECA attached or a Band Stop Filter. I know from personal experience. ;)

spam firewall