Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

is DIRECTV2PC a viable substitute for an HD receiver/TV?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MyDogHasFleas

MyDogHasFleas

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:04 PM

I am considering ordering DirecTV (cable customer now). In my home office at my desk I have 3 screens all 1080p, one of which is an actual TV. I have a gigabit Ethernet network plus an RG6 cable up there. I have Windows 7 machines with plenty of horsepower and graphics.

Right now, I have an HD DVR cable box connected to one of the monitors by HDMI (and to my audio receiver via optical cable). With DirecTV, I'd put 2x HR24 DVRs in my media center downstairs and get MRV, and then the question is:

should I put an H24 receiver in my home office replacing my cable box? Or could I get by with just running DIRECT2PC or whatever it's called, and accessing my programming off of the media center DVRs? Would I still get full HD picture quality? What about sound?

What are the pros and cons?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:50 PM

It should work and you will get full HD.

I would think the big con is that currently I believe DirecTV2PC only allows you to watch your recorded content. So if you want to watch live TV it will be a bit of a hassle. You will have to use the online scheduler, phone app, etc. to tell your DVRs to record whatever you want to watch at that time and then start watching the recording (it's not quite live, but you will be able to watch with a few seconds of delay).

#3 OFFLINE   djrobx

djrobx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 502 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:15 AM

In short - no. You can't channel surf, you can only watch recordings (as Beerstalker states)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...