Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DECA with Mediashare?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kepico

kepico

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:30 AM

I don't see mention on the DTV site about mediashare with DECA, all they talk about is MRV? I was just wondering this because if the DECA system just gives me the MRV I might as well stay with what I have.

I have now;

Standard HD dish (I DO NOT have SWM)

Two DVR (HR-23s) & two standard receivers that I don't need MRV for (one is older and am pretty sure is not SWM capable)

I have MRV (beta) & mediashare setup via Linksys powerline with the two DVRs, it all works ok.

Questions;

1. If I call to switch to the DTV DECA system (I figure they would have to upgrade me to SWM) will the mediashare work with the DECA?

2. Would the DECA system completely get rid of the Linksys powerline setup I have now?

3. If it does work with MShare; My router location now is in a location without a coax output (but a line does run through it to one of the receivers) I assume a completely NEW line would have to be run to this location?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,668 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:43 AM

DECA includes a bridge to your home network that allows the receivers to access all functions they currently do through your home network. The DECA bridge is nothing more than a DECA unit that is connected to a cable run and power inserter with the ethernet patch cord connected to your network.

As long as the coax run in the room by the router is connected to the SWiM, a splitter can be used to bridge to the network.

#3 OFFLINE   kepico

kepico

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:36 AM

Thanks for the reply, in order to do the whole house connected will I be upgraded to "all SWM" then?

I have a D12-700 that would be ok AFAIK for SWM and then a D10-300 that will need to be replaced to work with SWM?

The cable run for the router connection goes to the D10, so I would guess that they would upgrade that receiver and then split off that cable line with the DECA to my router?

So SWM tech is simply replacing the LNB & all receivers need to be capable, the actual cable run itself does not need to be upgraded?

Thanks!

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:10 AM

All that is correct. Your D10 will be replaced with a D12.

#5 OFFLINE   kepico

kepico

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:11 AM

Thanks for the help, no reason for me to not upgrade to DECA then.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...