Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The old MPEG-2 channels re-appeared in my guide

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ThePrisoner

ThePrisoner

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:08 AM

I noticed in my guide are the HD channels that were in the 70's. If I tune to them it tells me that programming is not available. I know these were deleted in March but I wonder why they showed back-up. Anyone else see these?
Choice Xtra, HD Extra Pack, MRV, NFLST
HR24-100, Terk HDTVi, Panasonic TC-P60GT30, Oppo BDP-93, Anthem MRX-500, Paradigm Reference
HR21-700, Panasonic TH-50PZ800U

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:01 AM

Yep.

The D12 adventure?

#3 OFFLINE   paco1986

paco1986

Icon

• Registered
  • 574 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:56 AM

Yes, I'm seeing them too. Maybe prep for D12?!

#4 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,978 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:10 PM

I'm not seeing them here (just the SD informercial channels which are in the 70s, 80s and 90s).

Edit: I'm guessing the reason I don't see them is that my receiver is set up for a SL3 and these channels were on 110/119.

Edited by bobnielsen, 15 May 2010 - 01:44 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   kryscio23

kryscio23

Godfather

• Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:51 PM

How about that! They are back in the guide for me so I tried clicking on HBO (70) for Men In Black II ... and it popped up as a "GameSearch" and was searching for the "game/program" on other channels and found it on 501 (obviously). So then it asked me if I wanted to go to 501 and I told it "No, stay here," and then a blue banner came up to say "the program is not available in your area (727)." It did the same GameSearch when I tried TNT on channel 75.

I know the channels are gone but I thought it was interesting as to how the receiver acted.

#6 OFFLINE   paco1986

paco1986

Icon

• Registered
  • 574 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:12 PM

How about that! They are back in the guide for me so I tried clicking on HBO (70) for Men In Black II ... and it popped up as a "GameSearch" and was searching for the "game/program" on other channels and found it on 501 (obviously). So then it asked me if I wanted to go to 501 and I told it "No, stay here," and then a blue banner came up to say "the program is not available in your area (727)." It did the same GameSearch when I tried TNT on channel 75.

I know the channels are gone but I thought it was interesting as to how the receiver acted.

I am seeing exactly the same thing. It's treating it like a sports blackout and searching for an alternate channel. Interesting indeed.

#7 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:35 PM

this is my personal opinion, but I believe that the channels in the 70s
are going to be used as part of the new HD roll out. I heard that they are going to put 3D channels there.
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#8 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:33 PM

this is my personal opinion, but I believe that the channels in the 70s
are going to be used as part of the new HD roll out. I heard that they are going to put 3D channels there.

Low 100's for 3d.. 106 for espn 3dhd.... (Sat racer and a little birdie told me so)

I think Doug mentioned something a while back about the 70's hd's maybe still being there for some businesses until they finish updating those systems, but no longer here for regular customers... Maybe there is a glitch in the channel mapping for these channels right now because of the d10 to d12 prep work...

#9 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• Registered
  • 706 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:45 PM

I got them too.....70,72,73,75,76 with guide data.....but no 79 HDNet.

Tune in and it hits gamesearch mode but forwards to the correct channel.

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#10 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:43 AM

I got them too.....70,72,73,75,76 with guide data.....but no 79 HDNet.

Tune in and it hits gamesearch mode but forwards to the correct channel.

are they doing this to force a re-tune on businesses systems?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#11 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:39 AM

are they doing this to force a re-tune on businesses systems?

That's a very good hypothesis. The channels, although being removed for residential subscribers, were still available to businesses. This could be the last attempt at getting the businesses to move off the old channels before they truly go dark.

#12 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:20 AM

That's a very good hypothesis. The channels, although being removed for residential subscribers, were still available to businesses. This could be the last attempt at getting the businesses to move off the old channels before they truly go dark.

Those businesses are years behind on the times considering how much HD they are missing. If they haven't changed by now, they don't plan on changing.
my setup here

#13 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:35 AM

Those businesses are years behind on the times considering how much HD they are missing. If they haven't changed by now, they don't plan on changing.

Or maybe they just have some boxes at the old numbers and did not change them to the new ones.

#14 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:33 AM

Or maybe they just have some boxes at the old numbers and did not change them to the new ones.

I go to a bar that has Comcast HD. You don't know how many times I've seen ESPN in SD on their TVs. Since I know the bartenders, I fix it for them.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#15 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:02 PM

My golf club has multiple DirecTV HDs all over the property. None of the bartenders, or even the manager, have any idea of the difference between SD and HD. I told the manager how to set the box to "exclude SD duplicates" and how that would keep people from tuning to SD by mistake and he was shocked.

We even get NFLST, which I am sure costs a pretty penny for a commercial establishment, and he never promotes it or anything.

#16 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:34 PM

My golf club has multiple DirecTV HDs all over the property. None of the bartenders, or even the manager, have any idea of the difference between SD and HD. I told the manager how to set the box to "exclude SD duplicates" and how that would keep people from tuning to SD by mistake and he was shocked.

We even get NFLST, which I am sure costs a pretty penny for a commercial establishment, and he never promotes it or anything.

a lot of bars / restaurants on have sd boxes and a sd / analog system to send the channel out to the tv's.

But there are a few that have a HD switching system.

and some have a HD box at each tv.

#17 OFFLINE   murry27409

murry27409

Godfather

• Registered
  • 321 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 02:52 AM

Well their re-appearance caused a glitch in my DVR's attempt to record the yankee red sox game (I have an ARSL 4 yankee games). I came home ~8PM and noticed that the DVR's record lite was off. I checked the history; it showed that it had attempted to record the game on Ch 73 with no luck. It even had a message that the recording was canceled by the viewer.
HR20-100
HR22-100

#18 OFFLINE   Skyboss

Skyboss

Icon

• Registered
  • 585 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 02:36 PM

Yeah, but they don't get any equipment deals and some have to order a lot of receivers. An upgrade for 10 receivers and a new dish cost my company a few grand to have done. Part fo it is insurance requirements and what not associated with a business setup. The upside was that we now have more than just "news and information".

#19 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 12:00 AM

I really hadn't even noticed that there was a time when these channels were off the guide :shrug: But I'm getting the same re-direct that everyone else is getting.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...