Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Connecting DECA to the HR20-100

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:32 AM

All receiver but the HR20-100, have the DECA connected to SAT #1 and the network jack.
The HR20-100 must be connected one of these ways:
http://www.dbstalk.c...29&d=1273790719

http://www.dbstalk.c...28&d=1273790719
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ICM2000

ICM2000

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:13 AM

Great drawings. Any advantage to either installation option?

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:17 AM

Great drawings. Any advantage to either installation option?

One doesn't need the bandstop filter. :lol:

Signal/RF wise, they should be the same.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   ICM2000

ICM2000

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:18 AM

Thanks!

#5 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:27 AM

Curious ..... If it can be done as in your option 1 (no BS method :) ) why would they even bother with option 2 (BS method :) )?

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:42 AM

Curious ..... If it can be done as in your option 1 (no BS method :) ) why would they even bother with option 2 (BS method :) )?

The DECA signal can be as high as 0 dBm, which isn't what a SAT tuner wants to see while it's looking at SAT levels as low as -54 dBm.

The HR20-100 has been a bit of a problem child. DirecTV couldn't get the DC voltage out the SAT 1 to power the DECA, like they do with all the other receivers.

The work-a-round was to use the DC from SAT 2 to power the DECA.
The splitter was first used to simply "tap in" the DC to the coax from SAT 1 to power the DECA. This configuration has the DECA block the signal from the SAT tuner and still pass the SAT signal.
In some of the test installs they found pixelation with this, so they came out with "plan B" and moved the splitter before the DECA and added the bandstop filter.
Why this would make any difference isn't clear, since signal wise not much has changed.

"The wildcard" that may not be known yet is using the SAT #2 which causes the SAT signal to come in there.
"IF" the internal splitter in the receiver is still passing the SAT signal through the SAT#2 port, "then" the receiver could be the real problem since it can't have two signals combining.
I'm sure not all HR20-100s have this problem, but this is also the first time both SAT inputs are connected to a SWiM, so this might be why it only now would show up.

Those that are having issues with 771s, might want to disconnect the SAT #2 coax, leaving the rest in place and see if the problem goes away.
There isn't any other way to block/stop the SAT signal from entering through the SAT #2 input.
DECAs & bandstop filters will keep the DECA signal out, leaving only the SAT signal as being the problem if it's getting in both inputs and combines internally.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:47 PM

So is what you are saying (WRT HR20-100):

"Plan A" (top) MIGHT not work.
It's possible neither plan A or B will work depending on the specific box.
And it's also possible that hooking it up normally (remove sat 2) still might work?

:confused:

Since I have 3 -100's (and a -700) I guess I'm glad I stuck with ethernet for now.

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:52 PM

So is what you are saying (WRT HR20-100):

"Plan A" (top) MIGHT not work.
It's possible neither plan A or B will work depending on the specific box.
And it's also possible that hooking it up normally (remove sat 2) still might work?

:confused:

Since I have 3 -100's (and a -700) I guess I'm glad I stuck with ethernet for now.

Both "A & B" should work. If either doesn't work, then first thing I'd check is removing the SAT #2 connection for troubleshooting.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   Aztec Pilot

Aztec Pilot

Legend

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:54 PM

yea, I have three problem childs as well! The BS filters are only $3.99, though. I am gonna try drawing one and see if that works for me. Thanks for drawing it out. I was really unclear on how to hook up those-100's. My SWM 16 should be here this week.
---------------------------------------------
My Setup

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:38 AM

What I'd do if the wife had all her recordings on a HR20-100 and I didn't want to sleep on the couch.

• Try plan A with the splitter connected to the SAT inputs & then the DECA.
  • Next would be plan B moving the DECA to SAT #2 and then the splitter, with the bandstop filter on SAT #1.
  • Plan C would be to disconnect the DECA from SAT #2 from the plan B setup and connect a PI to the DECA. This would eliminate any problem of the SAT signal being feed into the 2 SAT inputs. I'd use one of these: http://www.solidsign...Components&sku=
If done of these worked, then a receiver swap and the couch seems to be all that's left. :(
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,573 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:01 AM

Can me confused. :confused: What is so different with the HR20-100 that it requires both sat inputs be connected when using the SWM/DECA installation? A straight SWM is only connected to sat 1.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#12 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:05 AM

Can me confused. :confused: What is so different with the HR20-100 that it requires both sat inputs be connected when using the SWM/DECA installation? A straight SWM is only connected to sat 1.

As I posted ^^, all receivers but the HR20-100 power the DECA through the SAT #1 port.
The HR20-100 doesn't have DC voltage/power on the SAT #1, when in SWM mode. DirecTV managed to get SAT #2 to have the voltage, so this is why is needs to be used to power the DECA.
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:06 AM

FWIW, plan B is the current and the only supported setup by DirecTv.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#14 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,573 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:15 AM

As I posted ^^, all receivers but the HR20-100 power the DECA through the SAT #1 port.
The HR20-100 doesn't have DC voltage/power on the SAT #1, when in SWM mode. DirecTV managed to get SAT #2 to have the voltage, so this is why is needs to be used to power the DECA.

Thanks. I glossed over that salient point about power requirements to the DECA module.

If I decide to go with DECA, this might be a good reason to swap out the HR20-100 for the HR24. :)
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:20 AM

FWIW, plan B is the current and the only supported setup by DirecTv.

since A & B are basically the same function, if B works, go for it. There isn't any reason to not follow the supported/preferred method.

Some have had problems with B, but not A.
Anybody with problems with both A & B, might want to try C.
Even you, Robert, if you have problems, might want to try it, or at least pull the SAT #2 coax and see if the receiver gets a good SAT signal/picture. Whether you follow plan C or swap the receiver, of course would be at your discretion.
Finding out the source of this problem would help everyone involved.
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:22 AM

Thanks. I glossed over that salient point about power requirements to the DECA module.

If I decide to go with DECA, this might be a good reason to swap out the HR20-100 for the HR24. :)

"With my luck", if I was counting on this to leverage a 24 swap, I'd have zero issues with the -100. ;)
A.K.A VOS

#17 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,573 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:30 AM

"With my luck", if I was counting on this to leverage a 24 swap, I'd have zero issues with the -100. ;)

Leverage isn't a real concern. I'd just like to reduce the amount of clutter behind the DVR in the equipment cabinet.
See my related question here.
http://www.dbstalk.c...637#post2456637

#18 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:46 AM

Leverage isn't a real concern. I'd just like to reduce the amount of clutter behind the DVR in the equipment cabinet.
See my related question here.
http://www.dbstalk.c...637#post2456637

I don't see why you couldn't move them a bit farther away from the receiver.
The ethernet cable shouldn't be the issue, other than supplying your own. The coax jumpers off SAT 1 & 2 could simply be longer, or powering the DECA with a PI and use only one coax to SAT #1.
A.K.A VOS

#19 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 677 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 01:51 PM

Just had a sub-contractor of MASTEC do an install(it was his 1st) & it's NOT yet working. Here's a pic of the splitter he used & the layout of what he had done.Posted Image

Posted Image

All lights on deca module are GREEN

I activated my MRV online @ our D* account. The Beta is gone on each of my set-up screens. Under Status it says no Networked DVRs found.

Edited by texasmoose, 16 May 2010 - 01:56 PM.

HR34-700(leased)
HR24-100 x 2(1 leased, 1 owned)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

#20 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 01:55 PM

While that isn't pretty, the way it's connected should work. The splitter being in front of the DECA and having the bandstop filter, should be a non issue.
What isn't working?
The DECA networking or the SAT signals?
If SAT signals, try removing the SAT #2 coax [which will stop the DECA from working] and then see if the SAT signals work.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...