Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Connecting DECA to the HR20-100

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 677 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:10 PM

DECA is NOT working. Do I have to reset both boxes, before it'll sync up? Does it have something to do with the placement of the PI? I don't see the placement of the PI in the top 2 pix @ start of this thread.
HR34-700(leased)
HR24-100 x 2(1 leased, 1 owned)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:15 PM

DECA is NOT working.

OK, so it has green LEDs right?
Next would be to go into the setup menu and info to see what the status is of the network.
"not connected"/ connected but no internet.
Try "connect now under the network setting, or reset them to default setting and then connect now.
Make sure you're using the right network jack since there are two and only one works.
Let us know what you find.
A.K.A VOS

#23 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:16 PM

Do I have to reset both boxes, before it'll sync up? Does it have something to do with the placement of the PI? I don't see the placement of the PI in the top 2 pix @ start of this thread.

PI doesn't matter.
"a good reset" can always help. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#24 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 02:19 PM

What does the other HR say?
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#25 OFFLINE   CuriousG

CuriousG

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:17 PM

FYI, I had the DECA install yesterday. My system is fairly simple, one HR20-100 and one HR22-100. I was the first DECA for the techs that showed up. The meager training (their words) they had received told them to use the band stop filter method to connect a HR20-100. Between me and them, we got through it with only a minimum of pain and everything was working fine after about three hours (new SWM install and the CSR had problems authorizing my account for the "official" MRV).

Today, I dove in to clean up the install in my equipment closet (two DVRs in a remote location). I decided to try the connection method without the band stop filter on the HR20-100 and could not get DECA to work no matter what I tried. Went back to the band stop filter and the DVRs immediately recognized each other in MRV.

#26 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:25 AM

Just had a sub-contractor of MASTEC do an install(it was his 1st) & it's NOT yet working. Here's a pic of the splitter he used & the layout of what he had done.Posted Image

Posted Image

All lights on deca module are GREEN

I activated my MRV online @ our D* account. The Beta is gone on each of my set-up screens. Under Status it says no Networked DVRs found.

Follow-on from another thread about this problem:

Without a router, the receiver is using the same IP address as another receiver.

It seems the DECA/SWiM install works fine, but without DECA to router bridging, there is no DHCP to have the network settings controlled.
Each receiver must have a unique IP address!
A.K.A VOS

#27 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:58 AM

Posted Image

Additionally, under Network Services, when it defaults to "ConfigurationType" with Automatic selected & i hit "Connect Now" it says> starting network services>then it goes to "Unable to Start Network Services" error code <301>

<Multi-Room
a) Share Playlist=YES
B) Status:
1. Multi-Room=Authorized
2. No networked DVRs Found

First off, the two IPs on the DVRs should be different from each other. There is no need to mask those IP #s as they are all automatically assigned as part of the link local block of IP addresses. It's not generally routable on the Internet.

The fact that it's using link local suggests to me that you do not have a broadband DECA set up. Did you request this or did the installer neglect to do this for you? With your current setup, your DVRs should be able to see each other, but they will NOT be able to see the Internet.

Did the installer possibly connect one of your HR20-100s to DECA via port #1 and to your router via port #2? If so, this is WRONG and may in fact by why things are not working for you.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#28 OFFLINE   vetrev

vetrev

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:35 AM

I believe your problem is the splitter. The DECA certified splitters (with the green label) work down to 2 Mhz, not 5. It is my understanding that the DECA needs to use that low frequency to function properly.

#29 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:58 AM

I believe your problem is the splitter. The DECA certified splitters (with the green label) work down to 2 Mhz, not 5. It is my understanding that the DECA needs to use that low frequency to function properly.

SWiM, not DECA "would be" what was affected by using this splitter, if it was the problem, which it isn't.
DECA using 500-600 MHz
While a splitter only rated to 5 MHz, isn't always the best choice, it also doesn't mean it won't work at 2.3 MHz. With a rated range of 5-2600 MHz, "3 MHz" below this is going to work as well as it does at 5 MHz. This only means it wasn't tested down that far.

Now as to "this problem":
This was a network problem, not a DECA problem.
The installer didn't install a DECA to router bridge, so DCHP couldn't setup the networking IP, subnet, gateway, DNS.
The HR20-100 works fine straight off the router, also connects fine to the DECA, "but" the HR20-100 & the HR24 hadn't found each other.
While waiting for the installer to return and install a DECA to router bridge today, the HR20-100 is connect straight to the router and the DECA from the HR20-100 is being used to bridge to the router so the HR-24 also sees the router.
This has MRV working.
Once another DECA gets installed, the HR20 will move over to the DECA network.
A.K.A VOS

#30 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:33 AM

The HR2-100 must be connected to a router for MRV with DECA to work. This is a known issue. Here's a snippet from the tech bulletin that went out on 5/12/10. If anyones tech is having issues, have them or their supervisors refer to the 5/12/10 tech bulletin and the known issues page for the HD DVRs.

The information is out there, they just have to read it.

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1274189578

Attached Thumbnails

• hr20-100.PNG

Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me

#31 OFFLINE   afulkerson

afulkerson

MI Citizen Corps Vol of Year

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:45 AM

The HR2-100 must be connected to a router for MRV with DECA to work. This is a known issue. Here's a snippet from the tech bulletin that went out on 5/12/10. If anyones tech is having issues, have them or their supervisors refer to the 5/12/10 tech bulletin and the known issues page for the HD DVRs.

The information is out there, they just have to read it.

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1274189578

I have a HR20-100 working with mrv and there is no connection back to the router. I have two HR24-500's and one h24-100 and one HR20-100 and they all work with MRV and DECA.

I do want the network connection for VOD and apps and they are supposed to be here this morning to install a DECA and PI and hook it up to my newwork.

#32 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:52 AM

I have a HR20-100 working with mrv and there is no connection back to the router. I have two HR24-500's and one h24-100 and one HR20-100 and they all work with MRV and DECA.

I do want the network connection for VOD and apps and they are supposed to be here this morning to install a DECA and PI and hook it up to my newwork.

"I'd say" you got lucky with your HR20-100.
Maybe not all have this problem, but it may be "many" do.

Part of the DECA install is to install the DECA to router bridge.
A.K.A VOS

#33 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:00 AM

"I'd say" you got lucky with your HR20-100.
Maybe not all have this problem, but it may be "many" do.

Part of the DECA install is to install the DECA to router bridge.

If it's ordered.

I have a feeling many CSRs are not asking the customer if they have broadband internet and/or the customer is not asking/saying they have broadband internet.

Thus, work orders being 1 short on the DECA count.

#34 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:02 AM

If it's ordered.

I have a feeling many CSRs are not asking the customer if they have broadband internet and/or the customer is not asking/saying they have broadband internet.

Thus, work orders being 1 short on the DECA count.

"And one PI short".
A.K.A VOS

#35 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:08 AM

Are you using Automatic setup or static setup for your IPs? I'm guessing that the problem is either that automatic doesn't work at all ** OR ** that the HR20-100s are always returning the same link local IP address meaning that folks with a single HR20-100 may work just fine, but folks with multiple HR20-100s are broken.

A workaround may simply be to use static IPs when an HR20-100 is part of the system.

Boy, the HundredNation just isn't what it used to be.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#36 OFFLINE   afulkerson

afulkerson

MI Citizen Corps Vol of Year

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:24 PM

Are you using Automatic setup or static setup for your IPs? I'm guessing that the problem is either that automatic doesn't work at all ** OR ** that the HR20-100s are always returning the same link local IP address meaning that folks with a single HR20-100 may work just fine, but folks with multiple HR20-100s are broken.

A workaround may simply be to use static IPs when an HR20-100 is part of the system.

Boy, the HundredNation just isn't what it used to be.

I am using automatic setup.

The tech got here this afternoon and we installed the deca and pi and all the systems came up and ran on the internet. The tech was here less than 30 mins.

I expected that I would get the router bridge installed with the DECA install but the orignal installer said he did not have another DECA and PI and would not install if he did because it was not on the orignal work order. I guess the csr did not put that in the order.

#37 OFFLINE   vetrev

vetrev

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:18 PM

FWIW, plan B is the current and the only supported setup by DirecTv.

I used Plan B on my HR20-100 and it worked perfectly. One thing we did find out, however, was to make sure the power pass is on the correct side, the DECA side. Perhaps that should be highlighted in red or something.

#38 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:26 PM

I used Plan B on my HR20-100 and it worked perfectly. One thing we did find out, however, was to make sure the power pass is on the correct side, the DECA side. Perhaps that should be highlighted in red or something.

If you used "plan B", the power passing side makes NO difference because there is NO DC. The DECA is getting the power straight from the SAT #2 input.
A.K.A VOS

#39 OFFLINE   kpkingdon

kpkingdon

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:48 AM

I am working with a DirecTV Installer right now and can agree that the whole issue of connecting to the router with the additonal "broadband DECA" is not clear to CSRs or in the video training that installers are receiving. The installation instructions that the tech received in yesterday's training implies that the additional DECA is not reuired for MRV, only for MEDIASHARE and On DEMAND. I will soon know as he is nearing completion of inserting the DECA adapters (with Band Stop and Splitter on 4 HR20s) on the DVRs. While he has plenty of DECAs and one DECA power supply with him, he lacks any diagram or knowledge how the "Broadband DECA" that hooks to the router via standard ethernet cablethen connects to the system. I.E. which coax connector should connect (presumably) back to the SWM and which connects to the power supply? Does anybody have that diagram? There is an obvious logical answer but logic and power supplies do not always mix properly.
KP

8xHRxx/6xHxx/DirecTV since 1997

#40 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:54 AM

I am working with a DirecTV Installer right now and can agree that the whole issue of connecting to the router with the additonal "broadband DECA" is not clear to CSRs or in the video training that installers are receiving. The installation instructions that the tech received in yesterday's training implies that the additional DECA is not reuired for MRV, only for MEDIASHARE and On DEMAND. I will soon know as he is nearing completion of inserting the DECA adapters (with Band Stop and Splitter on 4 HR20s) on the DVRs. While he has plenty of DECAs and one DECA power supply with him, he lacks any diagram or knowledge how the "Broadband DECA" that hooks to the router via standard ethernet cablethen connects to the system. I.E. which coax connector should connect (presumably) back to the SWM and which connects to the power supply? Does anybody have that diagram? There is an obvious logical answer but logic and power supplies do not always mix properly.

The DECA to broadband should be fairly easy:
Connect the white pigtail to a 18 or 21 volt PI. Connect the other end to a splitter/coax feed. Connect the ethernet cable to your router.
The need for this is more important with HR20-100 because of the DHCP that the router does for all the network settings on the receivers.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...