Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Connecting DECA to the HR20-100

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 714 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:32 PM

The HR2-100 must be connected to a router for MRV with DECA to work. This is a known issue. Here's a snippet from the tech bulletin that went out on 5/12/10. If anyones tech is having issues, have them or their supervisors refer to the 5/12/10 tech bulletin and the known issues page for the HD DVRs.

The information is out there, they just have to read it.

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1274189578

My wife told me to get WHDVR....I mentioned the issue to tech support with the HR20-100 which I have two of and need suggested band-stop filters.....He said he has no documentation of issues with the receiver what so ever.

I have a bad feeling about this install scheduled for Friday.

And you are right- they did not mention anything about internet connection kit.

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Mark_M

Mark_M

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:23 PM

All receiver but the HR20-100, have the DECA connected to SAT #1 and the network jack.
The HR20-100 must be connected one of these ways:

http://www.dbstalk.c...28&d=1273790719

I had the Whole Home DVR Service installed yesterday. The tech did a good job, but wasn't familiar with the special wiring needed on the HR20-100.

He said he didn't have the SWM splitter shown in your drawing and called someone for tech support. They told him to use the best splitter he had on the truck for the split before the DECA and the band stop filter.

The splitter he used looks pretty generic and is marked 5 to 1000 MHz with no indication if one side passes DC or not. Everything seems to be working as expected. Should I leave well enough alone or should I go buy another splitter?

If I need to buy one – is this the one I should get?
http://www.solidsign...ku=874409002404
Mark
HR20-700
HR20-100
HR24-100
Toshiba 42H81
D* customer since 1996

#83 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:47 PM

I had the Whole Home DVR Service installed yesterday. The tech did a good job, but wasn't familiar with the special wiring needed on the HR20-100.

He said he didn't have the SWM splitter shown in your drawing and called someone for tech support. They told him to use the best splitter he had on the truck for the split before the DECA and the band stop filter.

The splitter he used looks pretty generic and is marked 5 to 1000 MHz with no indication if one side passes DC or not. Everything seems to be working as expected. Should I leave well enough alone or should I go buy another splitter?

If I need to buy one – is this the one I should get?
http://www.solidsign...ku=874409002404

In the setup you posted, DC passing isn't an issue, "BUT" a splitter that is only rated to 1000 MHz is bad, since the SAT signals run to 1800 MHz on the SWiM.
You say you don't have a problem, but "something" isn't right and it may show up later if this receiver needs to use one of the higher SWiM channels.
I would swap it out for the one you linked to.
A.K.A VOS

#84 OFFLINE   water1

water1

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:20 AM

I visited my daughter last week after their MRV install. The installer had connected their HR20-100 in the standard fashion and it wasn't working. I did not have a 1X2 splitter so I connected the second coax from the 8 port splitter to Sat 1 input using a BSF. It seems to work now.
John

#85 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:54 AM

I visited my daughter last week after their MRV install. The installer had connected their HR20-100 in the standard fashion and it wasn't working. I did not have a 1X2 splitter so I connected the second coax from the 8 port splitter to Sat 1 input using a BSF. It seems to work now.

So basically you mimicked the right setup by using the "main" splitter and another coax drop.
A.K.A VOS

#86 OFFLINE   GordonT

GordonT

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:08 PM

I have the MRV/DECA setup, and one of my DVR's is an HR20-100. It has been working fine since I had the DECA install back in early June.

The other day, a message popped up on the TV connected to the HR20; I can't remember the exact wording, but it was to the effect that my HR20 had lost its Internet connection and that it was attempting to connect using a wireless network adapter. The attempt failed, and I looked at the DECA and noticed that the power light was yellow. After a minute or 2, it turned green again.

I found the attempt to use the wireless adapter to be very strange, for the following reasons:

Prior to getting DECA installed, I had the HR20 connected to my router using a Linksys wireless adapter (can't remember the model # right now). The DECA installation made the wireless connection unnecessary, so I had disconnected it from the Ethernet port on the HR20 prior to the install. But the wireless adapter was still in the same cabinet as my Home Theatre equipment, because I have some other equipment (Blu-ray DVD and Yamaha AV receiver) connected to the Internet using the wireless adapter and a bridge. But I can't imagine how the HR20 could know that the wireless adapter was nearby and try to use it to connect to the Internet/router.

Can someone please explain this?

P.S. Although it has only happened once, is there a chance that the DECA adapter could have a problem, or is it more likely that there is a loose connection between it and the ethernet port that caused it to lose power?

TV's:
Samsung HL-R5078W
Mitsubishi VS-50805
Vizio E371VA
Satellite Dish:
Slimline-3S(SWM)
Receivers:
2 HR24-500 0x6bd
H24-100 0x66d
H21-100 0x466d

#87 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:09 PM

I don't think you can make much of a "one time" thing.
The wireless message may be a leftover from having used it before.
Should you need to reset network defaults, it will ask you what type of network you have and with the external DECA, you select "wired".
I once had a DECA not work after a reboot and download of firmware. Checking the DECA showed it had no power. Rebooting the DVR brought it back on line. Since this time, it hasn't happened again.
All coax should have "snug" connections. DECA does seem to be a bit more susceptible to errors from loose connectors, than the SAT feed, though all RF cables work best "snug".
A.K.A VOS

#88 OFFLINE   TITAN_53

TITAN_53

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:39 PM

http://lh4.googleuse...NXCrvpRd903bpGQ

I am about to convert from ethernet to DECA and just want to make sure that this splitter will work ok for connecting the HR20-100 to the DECA. If so, will it matter which cable I connect to the power passing port?

#89 OFFLINE   kanderna

kanderna

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:11 PM

Just completed my movers connection install today with DECA/Internet Connection Kit. I wasn't home, so the wife had to let him in so he could do his thing. He finished and was on his way.

When I got home I quickly realized that none of my receivers could see each other, then further noticed he didn't do anything special for the DECA units connected to my two -100s, and lights were dark on both. Great. :nono2:

He also didn't install anything at the router location (double great). But I feel this may be because I have one line to the office carrying the broadband to the cable modem... connected to the router... connected to the desktop PC and other non-wireless enabled devices. I'm sure I've read that I can't diplex DECA like I did my SWM setup, correct? BUT... you'd think he would've told my wife things weren't going to work!

So first, I assume if I don't want to buy my own equipment or whatever, that I'm going to need to call them back to take care of the first issue? I do have a PI from my SWM setup if that helps me in any way...

Second, do I have any options to remedy my setup for the second issue?

#90 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:27 PM

Just completed my movers connection install today with DECA/Internet Connection Kit. I wasn't home, so the wife had to let him in so he could do his thing. He finished and was on his way.

When I got home I quickly realized that none of my receivers could see each other, then further noticed he didn't do anything special for the DECA units connected to my two -100s, and lights were dark on both. Great. :nono2:

He also didn't install anything at the router location (double great). But I feel this may be because I have one line to the office carrying the broadband to the cable modem... connected to the router... connected to the desktop PC and other non-wireless enabled devices. I'm sure I've read that I can't diplex DECA like I did my SWM setup, correct? BUT... you'd think he would've told my wife things weren't going to work!

So first, I assume if I don't want to buy my own equipment or whatever, that I'm going to need to call them back to take care of the first issue? I do have a PI from my SWM setup if that helps me in any way...

Second, do I have any options to remedy my setup for the second issue?

You need him back out to resolve the HR20-100 DECA issues and you're correct, NO diplexing of internet/OTA/DECA, as they're all in the same band.
You'll need to add another coax run "I think" [or move the cable modem closer so you can use that coax for DirecTV].
A.K.A VOS

#91 OFFLINE   kanderna

kanderna

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:47 PM

You need him back out to resolve the HR20-100 DECA issues and you're correct, NO diplexing of internet/OTA/DECA, as they're all in the same band.
You'll need to add another coax run "I think" [or move the cable modem closer so you can use that coax for DirecTV].

Ugh... Kinda what I figured. I do have a couple wireless bridges that I could use for the PC and such... there are just some things I prefer to be hardwired... oh well.

And did I see that the router connection is required for MRV to even work in this setup or am I making that up?

#92 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:06 PM

And did I see that the router connection is required for MRV to even work in this setup or am I making that up?

It is needed for internet access and media sharing to & from PCs, but it's not mandatory. The receivers will handle their own IPs and you can have MRV without a router connection.
A.K.A VOS

#93 OFFLINE   kanderna

kanderna

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:40 PM

Got D* back out today and they fixed things up. Odd part is that they installed the band stop filter on the -700s as well. Works fine and in theory shouldn't be an issue at all, but should I take it off?

#94 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:01 PM

Got D* back out today and they fixed things up. Odd part is that they installed the band stop filter on the -700s as well. Works fine and in theory shouldn't be an issue at all, but should I take it off?

If this -700 has a DECA connected, then the bandstop is useless, as the DECA is doing what the bandstop is.
A.K.A VOS

#95 OFFLINE   Raiderguy8

Raiderguy8

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:12 PM

The installer was here yesterday installing the components necessary to enable MRV. I have an HR20-100 and the installer said that MRV was not possible on it. This was his first attempt at an install and said that was what they told him in his training. I quickly pulled up this thread and a couple of others and convinced him that he had been told something that wasn't correct. I figured he would fight with me and tell me that I shouldn't believe what I read on a message board, but he said that he would check on it. It actually came up right away on the HR20-100 but the HR20-700 couldn't get the DECA to light up. He had to call in his supervisor and still took them a while to finally get the other DVR's to see it and vice versa. In all he was here over 4 hours.

#96 OFFLINE   kanderna

kanderna

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 11:20 PM

Way off topic, but the worst part of my latest install experience???

Had my SWM8 and PI in a box in one of the rooms that got installed... they disappeared. Nice.

#97 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:10 AM

Way off topic, but the worst part of my latest install experience???

Had my SWM8 and PI in a box in one of the rooms that got installed... they disappeared. Nice.

That's a call to the tech's supervisor IMO. :mad:
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#98 OFFLINE   ladannen

ladannen

Legend

• Registered
  • 222 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:57 PM

Had a MRV install today. The tech easily setup the two HR22s but spent two hours trying to connect the HR20 before giving up.
I showed him some diagrams from this site and he finally got it working.
This seems like overkill but it works!

Posted Image

#99 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:46 PM

Had a MRV install today. The tech easily setup the two HR22s but spent two hours trying to connect the HR20 before giving up.
I showed him some diagrams from this site and he finally got it working.
This seems like overkill but it works!

Posted Image

Looks to me like the filter is on the wrong SAT port.
A.K.A VOS

#100 OFFLINE   ladannen

ladannen

Legend

• Registered
  • 222 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:52 PM

Looks to me like the filter is on the wrong SAT port.

OK I'll switch it. It does work fine that way, my wife is watching Biggest Loser right now on the HR20 that recorded on the HR22. I had to talk her into getting the MRV but she is a happy customer!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...