Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Connecting DECA to the HR20-100

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   bc3tech

bc3tech

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 12:40 PM

hey all. Reviving an old thread I know but I didn't want to start a new one just to ask yet another "does this sound right for my MRV setup?" question :)

I've got an HR20-700 on my system, along w/ an HR22-100. Today they are both networked (together and to Internet) via powerplug adapters. During the MRV beta, as some of you probably know, this is less than ideal. While my 22 sees the DVR contents of the 20, it's flakey at best, and rarely playable. The 20, conversely, can't see the 22 at all.

Anyway when I read about the "new" MRV and DECA, after I saw the option in my Setup and that I couldn't turn it on (I was part of public beta) I became more curious.

Since then I've used what I've found here on DBSTalk (great stuff btw) to purchase the following components

3 DECAs
1 DECA Power Inserter
1 2-way Zinwell splitter

My hope here is to:
1) Connect the 22 to a DECA
2) Connect the 20 to a DECA w/ splitter, as shown in first picture here
3) Connect my home router to a DECA w/ PI

and see that DVRs can share, and can also continue their VOD/App access

Does this sound kosher to everybody? I had a SWiM installed earlier this year and have been working well off that. I kept seeing something about some sort of Filter for the SWiM needed for MRV, so that's the only part that worries me.

Thanks for any/all replies!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 12:48 PM

hey all. Reviving an old thread I know but I didn't want to start a new one just to ask yet another "does this sound right for my MRV setup?" question :)

I've got an HR20-700 on my system, along w/ an HR22-100. Today they are both networked (together and to Internet) via powerplug adapters. During the MRV beta, as some of you probably know, this is less than ideal. While my 22 sees the DVR contents of the 20, it's flakey at best, and rarely playable. The 20, conversely, can't see the 22 at all.

Anyway when I read about the "new" MRV and DECA, after I saw the option in my Setup and that I couldn't turn it on (I was part of public beta) I became more curious.

Since then I've used what I've found here on DBSTalk (great stuff btw) to purchase the following components

3 DECAs
1 DECA Power Inserter
1 2-way Zinwell splitter

My hope here is to:
1) Connect the 22 to a DECA
2) Connect the 20 to a DECA w/ splitter, as shown in first picture here
3) Connect my home router to a DECA w/ PI

and see that DVRs can share, and can also continue their VOD/App access

Does this sound kosher to everybody? I had a SWiM installed earlier this year and have been working well off that. I kept seeing something about some sort of Filter for the SWiM needed for MRV, so that's the only part that worries me.

Thanks for any/all replies!

Generally sounds like you've got it. The bandstop filter should be used to block the DECA signal from going to the SWiM, BUT you've got a HR20-700 and not the -100, so you shouldn't connected it like the drawings here, since this is ONLY for the HR20-100!
A.K.A VOS

#103 OFFLINE   bc3tech

bc3tech

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:12 PM

Generally sounds like you've got it. The bandstop filter should be used to block the DECA signal from going to the SWiM, BUT you've got a HR20-700 and not the -100, so you shouldn't connected it like the drawings here, since this is ONLY for the HR20-100!

is this to say the -700s don't have the low-power issue the -100s do? i never'd have thought that 700vs100 would have made the diff so i focused on the fact that it is an HR20, no the particular suffix

#104 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:21 PM

is this to say the -700s don't have the low-power issue the -100s do? i never'd have thought that 700vs100 would have made the diff so i focused on the fact that it is an HR20, no the particular suffix

I think you've missed the whole idea here.
The HR20-100 can't supply the DC for the DECA that the other receivers can from the #1 SAT input. Because of this, they have to be configured differently, which is what this thread is about.
A.K.A VOS

#105 OFFLINE   bc3tech

bc3tech

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:28 PM

I think you've missed the whole idea here.
The HR20-100 can't supply the DC for the DECA that the other receivers can from the #1 SAT input. Because of this, they have to be configured differently, which is what this thread is about.

nope i get that, wholly. my thinking was that the 20-100 and 20-700 differed only in capacity, like the suffix usually (?) means in the other models, and hence the same voltage issues would happen on the 700. if i'm wrong, and the 700 does supply enough, sweet! i just don't need the splitter or BSF. bonus :)

#106 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:29 PM

This was a variation by manufacturer. The difference in power output configurations didn't matter in a legacy 13v/18v/ROLE/22Khz world, or even in a SWiM w/o DECA world. But with the introduction of DECA, it needs to be able to power the DECA unit without monkeying up the 475-625Mhz DECA frequency range. So this seemingly benign difference in manufacturer design turned out to be a problem later on (Today).
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#107 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:31 PM

nope i get that, wholly. my thinking was that the 20-100 and 20-700 differed only in capacity, like the suffix usually (?) means in the other models, and hence the same voltage issues would happen on the 700. if i'm wrong, and the 700 does supply enough, sweet! i just don't need the splitter or BSF. bonus :)

Nope. Just identifies who made the box.

#108 OFFLINE   bc3tech

bc3tech

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:42 PM

This was a variation by manufacturer. The difference in power output configurations didn't matter in a legacy 13v/18v/ROLE/22Khz world, or even in a SWiM w/o DECA world. But with the introduction of DECA, it needs to be able to power the DECA unit without monkeying up the 475-625Mhz DECA frequency range. So this seemingly benign difference in manufacturer design turned out to be a problem later on (Today).

Nope. Just identifies who made the box.

nice! thanks for the clarification. oh well, at least i only spent ~$5 on the splitter :)

anybody need one?

#109 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:15 PM

nice! thanks for the clarification. oh well, at least i only spent ~$5 on the splitter :)

anybody need one?

I highly recommend that you join the DBSTalk Club. You have access to a few more forums. Including the [Buy, Sell, Trade] Forum. Where you can usually find someone to buy your extra Directv/AV stuff.

Check it out HERE

It's only $15/yr. I DEFINITELY get more than $15/yr worth of information and entertainment from DBSTalk.com.

#110 OFFLINE   bc3tech

bc3tech

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:47 PM

I'm up and running broadband and all using the above minus the splitter. Thanks for everybody's help! Woo! :)

#111 OFFLINE   JB3

JB3

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 05:06 AM

Had my WHDVR setup installed yesterday. Installer added an HR24-100 to my existing HR20-100. When he got to the back of the HR20-100 he first tried to connect it just like the HR24....one coax to sat 1...no DECA. No joy. :nono2:

I showed him the diagrams in post 1 of this thread and he then tried a DECA to just sat 1. Didn'[t work. Still no network. :nono:

I explained to him that sat 1 didn't have the DC power and showed him the diagrams again. He says he's never heard of this, but he got on the phone with his supervisor. Finally comes in from his truck with the second config....Splitter + DECA+B-stop filter.

Worked this time!:lol:

Thanks VOS!! This thread should be required reading for all installers.

#112 OFFLINE   ddhawk

ddhawk

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:48 AM

Not sure if this was a coincidence or if the new NR 0x04aa somehow affected my configuration.

I have two DVR's and two regular receivers and am using MRV on all 4 receivers.

My two DVRs are HR20-700 and HR20-100 and the receivers are both H24's.

Last Thursday (7/7), both HR20's updated to the new NR 0x04aa. Shortly thereafter i noticed that my HR20-100 no longer is obtaining video from the dish. Although I could still see the recordings on the other receivers and can play them with no problem, so even though it was not getting a signal from the dish, MRV was working fine.

I had the HR20-100 configured like the first configuration in the first post of this thread (i.e. splitter after the DECA) and things were working fine.

When I looked at the signal strengths, they were all zero on the 101, I didn't look at other sats. I ran system test and got Diag code 43-71-121 and 2 errors (1. Dish alignment problem and 2. Internet not detected). Of course there is no dish alignment problem, I'm receiving good signals on all the other 3 receivers.

So I bought a band stop filter and changed my config to the 2nd one (splitter before the DECA). Again, MRV worked fine, no signals detected from the Dish. I ran system test and got the same error.

Then I switched DECA's for the two HR20's to see if there may have been something wrong with the DECA box, no change. The DECA originally on the HR20-100 got a signal fine for the HR20-700.

Now I don't know what to do.

Did 0x04aa do something to affect the signal reception for HR20-100's in an MRV environment? Did my receivers fail coincidentally with the upgrade?

Any thoughts? Is there any way to revert to the previous NR to see if the current NR is the problem?

Thanks.

BTW, There is no 771 or 771A error on the screen for the HR20-100. If I click Info I see the banner with the correct program name. The guide data is all correct and the HR20-100 continues to try and record programs, but when it records I get 0 min recordings.

Edited by ddhawk, 12 July 2011 - 09:39 AM.

DirecTV
HR20-100
HR20-700
H24-100
H24-700

#113 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:48 AM

BTW, There is no 771 or 771A error on the screen for the HR-100. If I click Info I see the banner with the correct program name. The guide data is all correct and the HR20-100 continues to try and record programs, but when it records I get 0 min recordings.

This might be the clue.
With another model receiver, I have had something like this.
I'd try going into the setup menu and the SAT setup, then repeat SAT setup.
A.K.A VOS

#114 OFFLINE   Plasman

Plasman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:19 AM

Off topic but are HR20-100's worth anything? I just took two owned units off my account since I no longer need OTA.

#115 OFFLINE   ddhawk

ddhawk

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:51 AM

This might be the clue.
With another model receiver, I have had something like this.
I'd try going into the setup menu and the SAT setup, then repeat SAT setup.

That didn't work. But I moved the location and it started working (weird). I'm going to replace it with an HR24 anyways, but there is a lot of recordings to watch (1.5Tb External) before I can take the HR20-100 out of service.

Thanks for your help.
DirecTV
HR20-100
HR20-700
H24-100
H24-700

#116 OFFLINE   ctoefer

ctoefer

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:02 AM

Are these parts listed in this post available from DirecTV?

#117 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:11 AM

Are these parts listed in this post available from DirecTV?

Not quite sure of your question.
If you're asking can a customer call DirecTV and have them ship them, no.
If you're asking will a DirecTV installer have these on a service call, yes.
DECA isn't a DIY install, so those wanting to need to find them at sites like Solid Signal.
A.K.A VOS

#118 OFFLINE   kwasnicka

kwasnicka

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:21 PM

I have an HR20-100 and it is not hooked with either configuration but it is networked and has internet. The installer hooked it up in May 2010 with coax from SWM 8 to DECA, then from DECA to SAT (1 or 2, not sure) and DECA ethernet to STB ethernet. It also still has 2nd coax from SWM 8 to other SAT (1 or 2, not sure). It has worked good the entire time except for a month or two ago but having a new DECA sent fixed that.
Directv customer since 1996.

#119 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,850 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:25 PM

I have an HR20-100 and it is not hooked with either configuration but it is networked and has internet. The installer hooked it up in May 2010 with coax from SWM 8 to DECA, then from DECA to SAT (1 or 2, not sure) and DECA ethernet to STB ethernet. It also still has 2nd coax from SWM 8 to other SAT (1 or 2, not sure). It has worked good the entire time except for a month or two ago but having a new DECA sent fixed that.

If you check how it is connected/configured, you'll find the DECA is connected to the SAT #2, while the SWiM feed is to SAT #1, "but" what you also are missing is the bandstop filter for your SAT #1, which "may" cause problems.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...