Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Where to connect DECA for internet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:16 PM

I had an install scheduled for today (Saturday) but the installer stated they did not have the DECA modules(I live in a small town outside of Las Vegas). Installation is now set for Wednesday.

My question is regarding the DECA connection for the internet. I have a CAT 5 cable run through the walls from my modem to a switch in the media room. I currently have two dvrs, my PS3 and AVR connected to the switch. When the installation is done, can the DECA module be connected to the switch instead of directly to the modem itself? This would be a more convenient location as the D* coax is not terminated in the office.
The installer said he does not see any problem connecting to the switch, but he said this will be his first DECA installation. (In fact, he will be bringing out several other installers so that this will be a field instruction opportunity for them.)
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,560 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:17 PM

Yes, they'll connect the DECA network to your Media Room switch.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,969 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:18 PM

Connecting to the switch should work fine.

#4 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:24 PM

Hey, it took you guys one and two minutes to reply to my question. I don't know if I will put up with your slacking performance, lol.
But seriously;
Thanks. Both "Tex" (the installer) and I thought so, but I like outside confirmation.
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

spam firewall