Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Receiver-only: is it a better option now?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think that non-DVR receivers are a viable option for you? (190 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think that non-DVR receivers are a viable option for you?

1. Yes ... as long as there's a DVR or two, a non-DVR is good (91 votes [47.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.89%

2. No ... it's DVR or nothing! (99 votes [52.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:20 PM

Now that DIRECTV Connected Home is a reality, what's your opinion of the "receiver-only" option? Most of us have had multiple DVRs, one for each room. Now that you can watch recorded programs in multiple rooms, is there still a reason for that? Would you want to go to fewer DVRs and more receivers?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,940 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:22 PM

Recording more than 2 programs at the same time, as well as having backups of recordings.

#3 OFFLINE   code4code5

code4code5

Godfather

• Registered
  • 442 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:23 PM

Not for me. I enjoy the flexibility of having four tuners to record. If I think that my wife might be watching something on the main television, I can schedule something to record via the iPhone app on a completely different DVR. She won't have to be inconvenienced at all.

#4 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,806 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:23 PM

Still see a need to have multiple DVRs to the limitations of watching and recording two shows at the same time. A house with many TV's wouldn't be a happy home with only one server.

I have 3 DVR's, might be able to live with 2. But certainly not one.

#5 OFFLINE   netraa

netraa

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:24 PM

3 words....

pause live tv

#6 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:26 PM

Losing the ability to rewind/pause live Tv, one active stream per DVR , and a reduction in tuners for recording make that a big negative here. That doesn't even include the fact that spreading recordings on multiple DVR's means you'll lose a lot less when a drive crashes.

I really can't imagine a circumstance as to why you'd go with a receiver over a DVR (apart from the initial cost difference.) They're both $5 a month and the DVR fee covers as many DVR's as you could ever want. At this point it's really a no brainer to keep DVR's over receivers.

Edited by dsw2112, 15 May 2010 - 09:35 PM.

SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#7 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:27 PM

Still need DVR's.

My kids have their own DVR. It's set up for MRV and I can see the shows on their DVR (and I occasionally use it for my overflow shows that are kid friendly), but they cannot see the shows on the other DVR's (it's set up for local list only). If they just had a receiver, they'd see all the shows recorded and it would be much harder for them to pick their own show to watch (they're only 4 and 6). As it is now, they can operate their own DVR during TV time, go to the list and select a show to watch with no trouble.

So, I'd still want a DVR there.

The other DVR in the theater is used mainly for the extra tuners, so I'd still want a DVR there too.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#8 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:28 PM

3 words....

pause live tv

Agreed. That, and the six-second replay. I have an H24 in my office and every once in a while I'll miss a line and want to rewind to listen again, but can't.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:30 PM

Would you want to go to fewer DVRs and more receivers?

With a HMC30 maybe. But now, you can only stream to one receiver at a time, correct?
What if 4 receivers want to watch something at the same time? Big limitation, even WITH two or three DVRs if multiple receivers try to watch a show on the same DVR.

If the HMC30 has 4 or more tuners, offers multiple drives, and allows multiple receivers to access it at the same time, THEN I think having all receivers would be a great idea.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#10 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:31 PM

3 words....

pause live tv

You got it.

Now, if only the DVRs could schedule a recording on any DVR like the receivers can. (I'm sure we'll see that eventually)

#11 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:38 PM

3 words....

pause live tv

netraa getting a lot of love for that post!

While I agree with that, and even caught myself trying to rewind one day, I still really like using my H21-100. Especially the remote schedule, Which is probably in the pipeline someday for the HR's

So I said yes in the poll as long as I can keep the 3 DVR's on the network, and still see the recordings. Hello, garage TV! I don't "need" a DVR out there. But my H21 is darn near as fast as my HR24, not quite but close, that's another reason.
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

#12 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,940 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:47 PM

Certainly it is an improvement over the non-MRV case and I now have a H24 in the bedroom. However, the loss of pausing and rewinding live programming has caused me to rethink things, so I bought a DECA from Solid Signal so I can move the HR21 back to that location. Hopefully the DVRs will get remote scheduling capability SOON.

#13 OFFLINE   gpg

gpg

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,697 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:50 PM

While MRV makes a non-dvr receiver more valuable, the there's still no substitute for pausing live tv. That, coupled with the 50 SL limit on a single dvr, still makes me prefer multiple dvrs.
HR24-200,HR23-700,HR21-200, HR21-100, HR34-700,
Sony KDS-R50XBR1,HDMI, LG 37LH40,HDMI Vizio 390-A1,HDMI,Sony KDL-40NX711, HDMI, Vizio VO320E, HDMI, SWM16 with DECA,
Sony STR-DG1000 AV Receiver optical cable connection for HR24-200, GenieGo

#14 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:54 PM

I never even thought about the pause live TV part, since all I have is DVR's. I still don't think that would be an issue for me, since I rarely watch live TV anywhere but the living room (where the DVR would be regardless), but I can certainly see how that would be an issue for others.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#15 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:59 PM

If you have 2 locations, I say make both DVRs, but as I have three, it's no question the third be a receiver. The quality of MRV over DECA has been superb.
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#16 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:34 PM

I think a single master DVR is feasible for many families at this point, but recordings are only half the equation as others are saying. Having DVRs in other locations also allows the trickplay features on livetv which is very useful as well.

I have been enjoying 2 DVRs w/1 regular receiver all hooked up via MRV though. Makes for a nice setup at a location that is less used. I also know other family members that have 1 HD-DVR and many regular receivers throughout the house that would LOVE to get setup with MRV and have no need for additional DVRs.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#17 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:40 PM

I'm going to qualify my vote in that Receivers are ok as loing as we ( mostly my wife) can record or watch eight programs simulateously. Right now, I'm one recorder 2 tuners short).

Bob

#18 OFFLINE   Jared701

Jared701

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:13 PM

3 words....

pause live tv

As long as you have 1/2 dvrs for as many tvs this shouldn't be an issue. You may not consider something delayed 20 seconds "live" but you could always set something to record on the dvr and right as it starts begin watching it on a receiver. As long as you aren't always using all tuners for your dvrs this shouldn't be an issue and if space is limited you can delete the program right after viewing it. It may not be quite as convenient as having dvrs for every room but now that the mrving is out I don't see dvrs to be a necessity for EVERY tv. If you have 3+ tvs I still think 2 dvrs would be a must.

#19 OFFLINE   Willy1

Willy1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:51 PM

Don't forget Double Live Buffers.

#20 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:07 AM

I have two non-dvr's that get plenty of air time in our household. Of course there are 5 DVRs to feed them.
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

spam firewall