Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Receiver-only: is it a better option now?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think that non-DVR receivers are a viable option for you? (190 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think that non-DVR receivers are a viable option for you?

1. Yes ... as long as there's a DVR or two, a non-DVR is good (91 votes [47.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.89%

2. No ... it's DVR or nothing! (99 votes [52.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,017 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:04 AM

netraa getting a lot of love for that post!

While I agree with that, and even caught myself trying to rewind one day, I still really like using my H21-100. Especially the remote schedule, Which is probably in the pipeline someday for the HR's

So I said yes in the poll as long as I can keep the 3 DVR's on the network, and still see the recordings. Hello, garage TV! I don't "need" a DVR out there. But my H21 is darn near as fast as my HR24, not quite but close, that's another reason.

This is pretty much how I see it, when the garage tv comes into play, when I decide to put a receiver in my office and when I decide to put a receiver in my kitchen they now can all be non-dvr's. I now believe I have enough recordable tuners to justify regular receivers, not to mention the places I would consider a new receiver size matters. Kitchen has a 19" 720p tv, I don't really want a large box visible.

My kitchen only has ota, my office can only watch what what is on the basement receiver and I have nothing yet in my garage.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:14 AM

No need to start name calling.

:lol::lol: Not that it's a bad thing.:rolleyes:;) Oh and DVR's for me. I need multiple tuners. 6 seems to do the job quite nicely.
HR34/HR24-500/Mits WD73C8
HR20-100 HR24-500//Samsung UN55F6350AF
SWiM Network w/MRV
AT&T 2Wire Gateway Modem/Router

#43 OFFLINE   DMRI2006

DMRI2006

Godfather

• Registered
  • 441 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:49 AM

To each his own. The only live TV I typically watch are sports events, so I never use the pause Live TV function and often forget I even have the capability in the first place. For me one DVR is certainly sufficient, particularly when a lot of cable shows are repeated in the early morning hours. I can't understand why some people need 6,8,10 tuners -- what are you recording every show on television? lol. I'd much rather save the $$ myself. MRV has been a real godsend in that department, even $3 a month is reasonable for the function it provides.

But as they say, whatever floats your boat.

#44 OFFLINE   dconfer

dconfer

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:51 AM

I just ordered the deca upgrade added in a HD box only for the kitchen. They gave me the box free with the upgrade. A dvr would have cost $99 didnt feel like paying that much for a box that wont be watched much and when it is it will probaly be recording off of the 2 dvrs I have.

#45 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,017 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:59 AM

To each his own. I can't understand why some people need 6,8,10 tuners -- what are you recording every show on television? lol. I'd much rather save the $$ myself. MRV has been a real godsend in that department, even $3 a month is reasonable for the function it provides.

But as they say, whatever floats your boat.

Once you pay the inital lease fee for your second/third/forth HDDVR there are not extra DVR fees. (Only one DVR fee) You pay the leased receiver fee for each additional receiver and that's it. To answer your question on why so many tuners, yes we record just about everything we watch and never have to choose one show over another. My kids can record movies (if we ok them) and not have to stay up past bedtime to watch them. I record shows my wife doesn't like and she does the same, we can watch them quicker if they are recorded and keeps the family happy.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#46 OFFLINE   TITAN_53

TITAN_53

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:56 AM

I was just discussing this with a friend. As expected, the lack of a live buffer seems to be the biggest reason to stay with DVR's at each location. So why not add just enough memory to the non-dvr boxes to store the buffers or have the option to use a usb drive to buffer as I have heard suggested here before? IMO, this would hold more true to "Whole Home DVR Service" considering well DVR's are able to pause live tv. As it is now it is more of a video streaming service other than the ability to schedule recordings from the non-dvr.

I voted DVR or nothing but only because of the lack of the buffer. I would actually prefer the non-dvr due to the ability to schedule to any dvr but the lack of buffer trumps that.
SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
Broadband DECA connected to Linksys WRT150N
Samsung HLS-5679W LED DLP
HR24-200/HR22-100/HR22-100/HR21-100/HR20-100
Sony Playstation 3

DIRECTV Employee.
All comments are my own. My views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV.

#47 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:07 AM

Just thought I'd note my half-way success at this point - in support of why I prefer a DVR at both of my locations.

I went the email route in getting D* to activate my 2 receivers. Sent 'em an email last night - both were ready to run through the drill, this morning.

We have one in the guesthouse - currently occupied by kin - one in the living room. Both are setup with Linksys gaming adaptors for DOD and they logged into MRV easy as pie, this morning. We have 2 wireless networks: one G, one N, so visitors who might not have computers running 80211.n won't slow down our usual network. The 80211.n network runs at 5.0mhz and that's where we've connected the Linksys adaptors.

The strongest signal is the LR box and that one streams SD and HD just fine from the guesthouse. The Linksys adaptor not only is farther away in the guesthouse, for appearance sake it's pretty well buried behind some gear which might further mask signals from the wireless router back here in my study.

It receives SD just fine; but, won't buffer successfully most of the time on HD.

I plan to use the 2 extra tuners to record additional matches during the World Cup - and we won't have guests, then, so no worries about folks wanting to record something else. Same use will function during the 2010-2011 EPL season and whatever other leagues we get for the next season.

Now that I'm up and running, I may try to tweak and tune connections to allow easy MRV use in both directions. I can see folks recording and watching something they recommend to folks at the other location - and simply streaming it across the courtyard.

You never can have too many tuners. :)

#48 OFFLINE   p3pilot

p3pilot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 351 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:09 AM

For me it made a difference. We aleady had two DVRs and an HD receiver. When I was thinking about adding a 4th receiver, I ended up getting another HD receiver vice a DVR. Without MRV I am sure I would have gotten another DVR.

#49 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:22 AM

Would you want to go to fewer DVRs and more receivers?

NOPE!!

HMC being a POSSIBLE exception....

~Alan

#50 OFFLINE   Rakul

Rakul

Slacker

• Registered
  • 621 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:02 PM

DVR or nothing here, same reasons as stated previously though. Pause live tv, replay, just more available tuners in case of conflicts.
All on SWMLine:
HR22-100 > HDMI > Samsung 4665 LCD [Networked]
HR20-100S > HDMI > Samsung 4665 LCD [Networked]
HR20-700 > HDMI > Insignia NS-LCD26-09 LCD [Networked]
HR21-100 > HDMI > Samsung 26B360 LCD [Networked]
Full Setup

#51 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:33 PM

You should have made an option for people who live in an MPEG 4 market. It changes your opinion when you get nothing but HD equipment anyways.

I voted DVR only because for $30 more a HD DVR is a great deal.

#52 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,968 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:12 PM

3 words....

pause live tv

Bingo. I have an HR21 (original MRV test unit ;)) in my office and at least once daily I try and rewind something I am watching. Hopefully it will soon be retired and replaced by an HR24.

#53 OFFLINE   hitokage

hitokage

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:29 AM

It sounds like what some people could use would be what would basically be a crippled DVR. A single tuner with either a few gigs of RAM or a flash based storage with no ability to permanently hold recordings, but pause and buffer functionality for an hour or so of live programing. A bonus to this would be an option to transfer a show in the buffer to a DVR, and possibly have it take over recording duties.

#54 OFFLINE   TITAN_53

TITAN_53

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:40 AM

It sounds like what some people could use would be what would basically be a crippled DVR. A single tuner with either a few gigs of RAM or a flash based storage with no ability to permanently hold recordings, but pause and buffer functionality for an hour or so of live programing. A bonus to this would be an option to transfer a show in the buffer to a DVR, and possibly have it take over recording duties.

I think this is exactly what people will want. No need to store recordings on the clients as you will have DVR's or HMC in the future but I don't know anyone who would be happy with NOT being able to pause live tv. An ideal setup would be the HMC (assuming it has enough tuners) with small clients in each room but ALSO with the ability to pause live tv at each location. You would only need enough memory to store a single 90 minute buffer.
SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
Broadband DECA connected to Linksys WRT150N
Samsung HLS-5679W LED DLP
HR24-200/HR22-100/HR22-100/HR21-100/HR20-100
Sony Playstation 3

DIRECTV Employee.
All comments are my own. My views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV.

#55 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,645 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:08 AM

I still prefer being able to access trick play when watching TV. Since the non-DVR's lack that feature, they're not something I'd really consider.

Plus, more DVR's mean more recording capacity and more tuners to record with thereby reducing the chance of having both tuners recording while I'm trying to watch a 3rd program live.

#56 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,263 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:21 AM

I have three DVRs in two rooms right now. I am going to be spending more time in a third room and plan to eventually hook it up. I will probably put a receiver in there or take one of the DVRs from the living room and put it there, replacing the DVR with a receiver. More likely to do so because of MRV. But it all depends on the deal I get when I add the extra room.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#57 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 808 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:15 AM

+ Whatever number we are on now for pause/rewind live TV.

I just wish I had the feature on the radio in my car (I actually look at my radio every time I'm in the car for the feature). Call it a necessity for the constant multitasker.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#58 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:44 AM

I see only one advantage of a receiver over DVR - you can setup an MRV recording from a receiver but not from a DVR. Otherwise the lease fee is the same and upfront cost for a DVR over receiver is minimal or non existent.
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#59 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,808 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:35 PM

I voted all DVR. As so many others have noted, the important features are being able to pause live TV, and being able to scroll back in the buffer. Those are features I use regularly, daily.

If/when the HMCxx series becomes available with client devices of whatever type, if there is not a dedicated live tuner WITH BUFFER available to each client device, I'm not sure it would be attractive to me.

#60 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:16 AM

I think I'll stick to DVR's as much as possible.
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

spam firewall