Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Receiver-only: is it a better option now?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think that non-DVR receivers are a viable option for you? (190 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think that non-DVR receivers are a viable option for you?

1. Yes ... as long as there's a DVR or two, a non-DVR is good (91 votes [47.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.89%

2. No ... it's DVR or nothing! (99 votes [52.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:10 AM

I voted no for now. Pausing live TV, with a little trickplay, and DoublePlay is a must and until a receiver can do that, I'm stickin' to DVRs. ;)

Mike

Edited by Mike Bertelson, 22 May 2010 - 08:38 AM.

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   compnurd

compnurd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,130 posts
  • LocationEvans City PA

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:17 AM

I almost see the point of going to 1 DVR but like the rest said, pausing Live TV would be the issue. If they could figure a way with maybe some flash memory to hold a 10-15 min pause buffer, i could be happy with 1 DVR

SWM-16
HR44
2-C-41
HR24
2-H25

#63 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,202 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:29 AM

I just got our 5th DVR (for the two of us). More capacity for the upcoming TDF.

I remember having the HR21 when testing of MRV began and generally being fooled with no trickplay on live TV. With the same monthly fee and marginal up front or no difference, I vote DVRs all the way.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#64 OFFLINE   mogulman

mogulman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:32 AM

If there was a central DVR that had 4 tuners.. then I would just use regular boxes to stream or watch live tv.

A better option.. a central DVR with enough tuners to record TV and watch live.. so the individual boxes at each TV were so dumbed down that they just clients for live and recorded tv :)

#65 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,437 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:34 PM

[...] A better option.. a central DVR with enough tuners to record TV and watch live.. so the individual boxes at each TV were so dumbed down that they just clients for live and recorded tv :)

:up:

http://hd.engadget.c...o-another-room/
/steve

#66 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:43 PM

DVR is much better, not only for more recording capacity, trick-play, and DLB, as mentioned, but also for cast&crew information and pictures on info screens.
Greg

#67 OFFLINE   GTS

GTS

Legend

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:43 AM

From what I know the DVR can only support one client at a time, so for me it would have to at least be a one for one option. Add to this the benefit to price ratio of trick play, dual buffers etc. and for me it's a no brainer, DVRs all the way.

#68 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:52 AM

If you have 2 locations, I say make both DVRs, but as I have three, it's no question the third be a receiver. The quality of MRV over DECA has been superb.

I think you have hit on the cross-over point. With only two locations, I'd have both of them DVR, but once I hit 3 DVRs and wanted sat in the bedroom, a receiver made the most sense. The way I look at it, is in a low intensity, but frequent use location (such as one hour every night in a bedroom), a receiver makes the most sense. (assuming one already has at least two or three DVRs)

In other words, stand alone receivers have their place, and MRV makes them perfectly suited to some situations. When I upgrade from my home network to SWM/DECA, I could easily change the bedroom receiver to a DVR,but with MRV working so well (even with my home network), I see no reason to change anything for one hour per night.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#69 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:41 AM

I almost see the point of going to 1 DVR but like the rest said, pausing Live TV would be the issue. If they could figure a way with maybe some flash memory to hold a 10-15 min pause buffer, i could be happy with 1 DVR

I would want more than fifteen minutes.

I would also want to have DoublePlay, so that would be two buffers, but that's purely subjective.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#70 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:46 AM

3 words....

pause live tv

+1

#71 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:11 AM

Until DirecTV comes out with the RVU compliant hardware, so I can have a thin client that can perform all the standard DVR functions I'm staying with a DVR.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#72 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:27 AM

Until DirecTV comes out with the RVU compliant hardware, so I can have a thin client that can perform all the standard DVR functions I'm staying with a DVR.

Well, DirecTV is part of the RVU Alliance. We could see that with introduction of the whole home dvr.

Mike

µß

#73 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:36 AM

Well, DirecTV is part of the RVU Alliance. We could see that with introduction of the whole home dvr.

Mike

Well aware of it since there's videos of a whole home DVR and client that was showed at CES on the RVU web site.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#74 OFFLINE   kymikes

kymikes

Icon

• Registered
  • 658 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:40 AM

From what has been stated so far, it seems obvious that viewing habits/preferences dictate most of the responses and there are many preferences. It does seem that a couple of 'features' COULD be added to the existing hardware that might defuse some of these concerns. With the performance of the SWiM/DECA implementation, you could implement the 'pause live TV' function in an environment with mixed DVR/receivers by having the receiver 'smarts' to look for an available tuner on one DVR in the 'system' and record the paused segment that the receiver desires. In my situation, I have 2 DVR's & 2 receiver's and most often have a tuner available (however NOT guaranteed). Since the receivers can already remote schedule, this doesn't seem to be a significant effort. For those wanting remote scheduling on the DVR, some of these requirements in the firmware kind of dovetail (IMHO). The fundamental issue would seem to be traffic management in the network (since DVR's are limited to one output stream) but it seems D* is going to have to solve this issue for other reasons as well. Just my thoughts.

#75 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:32 PM

Probably a few of you remember the days when you did your home computing on a terminal with essentially no processing power, and a big ibm 360 in a computing center did the processing for many "thin" clients. Why don't we do it that way any more? (1) People don't like the loss of control. (2) The price advantage of thin clients tends to disappear as local processing costs go down. Yet the thin client idea just won't die, because DP professionals seem to find central processing so seductive. For a time, Sun Microsystems was promoting thin window system clients -- but where are they now? I don't think there is any future in non-DVRs that use facilities of DVRs in neighboring rooms. When I'm trying to use my H21 to schedule a recording on my wife's HR20 in the next room, its just irritating to be told I can't do it because of a scheduling conflict. I can't tell what the conflict is or do anything constructive about it from where I am.
Greg

#76 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,615 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:42 PM

I prefer having redundancy using 2 HD DVRs and "x" number of HD receivers. The odds of downtime/missing something are far lower.

A single server (HMC30) approach increases the risk of the scenario where if the main unit is down everything is out of service...
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#77 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:06 PM

need 6 tuners for recording here.. but H24 is nice for bedroom, nice and quiet..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

spam firewall