Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Whole home set-up. Does this make any sense?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pecocus

pecocus

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:58 AM

So, the installer was out here today to convert my MRV from my home network to DECA and to replace my multi-switches with SWiM. When he got out here, he realized that I have 5 DVR's and 1 H21. That's when he figured out that an 8 port SWiM wasn't going to work.

So... he went round and round with his supervisor and Direct TV. Finally they came to the conclusion that they would come back next week. The plan is to keep my two daisy-chained Zinwall 6x8 multi-switches in place and add in something he kept calling a SWiM extender. He claims that by doing that, the whole mess will provide DECA connectivity throughout the house.

I was under the impression that all switches had to be SWiM for DECA to work. Was I wrong? Does what the installer is telling me make sense to anyone? Assuming it does, does it also mean that I'll have to continue to run two wires to rooms with DVR's?

Thanks!
Paul

- HR34 in the family room hooked via HDMI to a Sharp 70" LCD via Onkyo AVR
- HR24 in the den hooked via HDMI to a Vizio 47" LCD
- HR21 in master bedroom hooked via HDMI to a Vizio 32" LCD
- H21 hooked up via HDMI to a Vizio 32" in the craft room
- HR-24 via HDMI to a Vizio 32" in the bonus room
- SWM16 multiswitch
- Slimline SWM3 dish

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,712 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:03 AM

Nope. You must have the SWM-16. No shortcuts.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:04 AM

You have to have a SWM-16

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#4 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:10 AM

...The plan is to keep my two daisy-chained Zinwall 6x8 multi-switches in place and add in something he kept calling a SWiM extender....

A SWiM expander is for two SWM8's. This will not do the job as the boxes on one SWM8 switch will not communicate with the boxes on the other (it's the equivilant of two completely separate networks.) The correct path (as others already noted) is a SWM16. Accept nothing less...
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#5 OFFLINE   pecocus

pecocus

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:18 AM

You have to have a SWM-16

That's what I thought too, but the installer is saying the SWM16 won't be out for two months.
Paul

- SWM16 multiswitch
- Slimline SWM3 dish

#6 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:22 AM

That's what I thought too, but the installer is saying the SWM16 won't be out for two months.

They're definitely out. Their warehouse may not have them in stock, but SWM16's are already being installed by techs.

#7 OFFLINE   pecocus

pecocus

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:24 AM

They're definitely out. Their warehouse may not have them in stock, but SWM16's are already being installed by techs.

So... let's assume that they can't get their hands on SWM16's for whatever reason. It sounds like two SWM8's with a SWiM extender would work, yes?
Paul

- SWM16 multiswitch
- Slimline SWM3 dish

#8 OFFLINE   Hdhead

Hdhead

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:27 AM

Another swm16 horror story.:icon_dumm:bang

#9 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:31 AM

So... let's assume that they can't get their hands on SWM16's for whatever reason. It sounds like two SWM8's with a SWiM extender would work, yes?

NO, as already stated, 2 SWM8's with the expander will not work. You will end up with 2 seperate clouds that will not see each other.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#10 OFFLINE   pecocus

pecocus

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:40 AM

NO, as already stated, 2 SWM8's with the expander will not work. You will end up with 2 seperate clouds that will not see each other.

Then I'm really baffled now... my understanding of the purpose of the SWiM extender was to connect two SWiM switches. I guess the difference is the DECA part.

Just got off the phone with Direct TV upgrade group and they're saying the two SWM8's with the extender is the way to go if SWM16's aren't available in my area. For whatever reason, they couldn't confirm or deny SWM16 availability.

Edit: Still arguing with Direct TV over this. Trying to force a SWM16. I've been through Customer Service to Upgrades to Technical Assistance and now she's thinking about sending me to the Network team. Sigh.

Edit 2: Technical Assistance is now saying that Direct TV will only provide 8 port switches. I'm free to buy a 16 port myself. I'm escalating to a supervisor and hoping.

Edited by pecocus, 16 May 2010 - 12:01 PM.

Paul

- SWM16 multiswitch
- Slimline SWM3 dish

#11 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 11:56 AM

Then I'm really baffled now... my understanding of the purpose of the SWiM extender was to connect two SWiM switches. I guess the difference is the DECA part.

Just got off the phone with Direct TV upgrade group and they're saying the two SWM8's with the extender is the way to go if SWM16's aren't available in my area. For whatever reason, they couldn't confirm or deny SWM16 availability.

It won't work. At least not without some fudging.

Using 2 swm8s with the expander will create 2 seperate clouds. No different than you having a single swm8 and the same for your neighbor across the street. The clouds will never see each other without some sort of bridge.

The fudge would be would be to connect each swm8 cloud to your home network with a deca adapter. While that will work, it will create a choke point. All traffic from one cloud to the other will have to go through that point.

The correct way is the SWM16.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me

#12 OFFLINE   pecocus

pecocus

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:03 PM

It won't work. At least not without some fudging.

Using 2 swm8s with the expander will create 2 seperate clouds. No different than you having a single swm8 and the same for your neighbor across the street. The clouds will never see each other without some sort of bridge.

The fudge would be would be to connect each swm8 cloud to your home network with a deca adapter. While that will work, it will create a choke point. All traffic from one cloud to the other will have to go through that point.

The correct way is the SWM16.

Yep... Direct TV now agrees with you. :) The thing we're arguing about now is that they say they won't provide a SWM16 and I have to buy it myself "elsewhere" if I want one.
Paul

- SWM16 multiswitch
- Slimline SWM3 dish

#13 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,129 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:06 PM

Yep... Direct TV now agrees with you. :) The thing we're arguing about now is that they say they won't provide a SWM16 and I have to buy it myself "elsewhere" if I want one.

Only $300 :eek2:
http://www.solidsign...tiswitches&sku=
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#14 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:08 PM

Baby steps. Getting closer, but they are still wrong. It's on them to supply any and all materials to support your setup.

#15 OFFLINE   pecocus

pecocus

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:46 PM

Baby steps. Getting closer, but they are still wrong. It's on them to supply any and all materials to support your setup.

I hope they see it the same way. After escalation to a supervisor, she said she was going to "look into it" and call me back.
Paul

- SWM16 multiswitch
- Slimline SWM3 dish

#16 OFFLINE   pecocus

pecocus

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:48 PM

Only $300 :eek2:
http://www.solidsign...tiswitches&sku=

Yeah.... that kind of makes the $99 + $49 deal not so good.
Paul

- SWM16 multiswitch
- Slimline SWM3 dish

#17 OFFLINE   pecocus

pecocus

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:44 PM

So... after spending all day on and off the phone with various supervisors, here's the deal...

1. The local installer can't get their hands on a SWM16 for unknown reasons.
2. Direct TV is "unable" to ship either them or me a SWM16 because, "they just don't do that".
3. If I want to spend $300 for a SWM16, they'll install it and credit my account for $100. Note the $200 cost I'm supposed to eat.

Bottom line is, after being a loyal Direct TV customer for 10 years AND paying for five DVR's and a H21, they aren't willing and/or able to pony up to upgrade me to MRV/DECA.

I can do the MRV upgrade with my home network, but that's not really the point. It is unbelievable to me that they can't find a SWM16 in the whole stinking world to send to WA state.
Paul

- SWM16 multiswitch
- Slimline SWM3 dish

#18 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:47 PM

Give it a couple of weeks and call back. You'll find that miraculously the story has changed and local techs have SWM16's...

#19 OFFLINE   jsmuga

jsmuga

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 350 posts
  • LocationNew Hope, PA

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:47 PM

Edit 2: Technical Assistance is now saying that Direct TV will only provide 8 port switches. I'm free to buy a 16 port myself. I'm escalating to a supervisor and hoping.

That is not true D* installed one for me yesterday.

Edited by jsmuga, 16 May 2010 - 04:53 PM.

John

Slimline 3LNB SWiM16
1 HR34-700
2 HR21-200's
2 HR22-100's
1 HR24-500
DECA Network
Nomad

#20 OFFLINE   Hdhead

Hdhead

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:52 PM

So... after spending all day on and off the phone with various supervisors, here's the deal...

1. The local installer can't get their hands on a SWM16 for unknown reasons.
2. Direct TV is "unable" to ship either them or me a SWM16 because, "they just don't do that".
3. If I want to spend $300 for a SWM16, they'll install it and credit my account for $100. Note the $200 cost I'm supposed to eat.

Bottom line is, after being a loyal Direct TV customer for 10 years AND paying for five DVR's and a H21, they aren't willing and/or able to pony up to upgrade me to MRV/DECA.

I can do the MRV upgrade with my home network, but that's not really the point. It is unbelievable to me that they can't find a SWM16 in the whole stinking world to send to WA state.

Something is very wrong here. You could always sue them for false advertising. Seriously I would escalate to the office of the President.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...